What is the absolutely first game you remember playing?

11of10

My parents had the console version of "Pong". Other than that it was "Alex the Kidd in Miracle World" and "Bomber Raid" on the Sega Master System II and "Oil's Well" and "Alley Cat" on my very first DOS PC.

Damn... I'm old(ish)... ;)

Edited by kreutzkevic

The absolutely first ... phew ... the chronology of my memory gets twisted a bit in certain areas, but it should be this Atari console game with two cowboys trying to shoot each other from two sides of a cactus ...

Thank you google, for finding stuff with a few keywords - although that is your job, is it not? :P

http://www.giantbomb.com/outlaw/3030-17826/images/

First game on the PC has to be Police Quest I - although I more watched a schoolmate play it.

First game on my first own PC? Look at that Gorilla-Banana-Bombing thing up there in this thread, it came with MS DOS I think. :D

First real game has to Star Trek 25 Anniversary shortly after - I think, at least it was the first PC game I bought.

Edited by KerbMav

I started playing video games when I was just a few years old (I think around 5ish). At first I was a huge fan of browser games, and the very first I can recall playing was this Catwoman game. Why? I have no idea. Nevertheless, I still managed to remember how to start the computer, open Internet Explorer, type in the exact URL, and start the game, and then be able to actually play it. :P

The first game I remember playing was Math Rescue on DOS. I wish they had modern games like this one because it was both fun and educational -- modern educational games are a load of junk (present company excepted) because they focus too heavily on a friendly learning experience with too little violence.

Runners-up are Apache 1.0 and the original Commanche.

We got an Atari 2600 for Christmas one year. It came with Space War, plus we also separately got Indy 500 and Air Sea Battle. I don't remember which game got plugged in first, but I'd guess it was likely Air Sea Battle.

Pong

/old.

me too, I think I was about 6 or 7 and I remember being amazed that I could actually control the little doodads on the screen.

/also old

not the most versatile controller ever invented:

Atari-paddle.jpg

Edited by MartGonzo

me too, I think I was about 6 or 7 and I remember being amazed that I could actually control the little doodads on the screen.

/also old

not the most versatile controller ever invented:

http://a142.idata.over-blog.com/500x393/1/27/40/16/paddle/Atari-paddle.jpg

Pong isn't even the part that screams old, its the word "doodads" XD

Wow, I forgot about this thread. I vaguely recall posting "Pong" on like the first page :D

To elaborate, I played Pong on a dedicated device that was about the size of an Atari 2600. I believe it was on a color TV (but it had a dial!) but of course Pong was black and white (of course). Later in life I had an Atari 2600 on possibly the same TV. My memories of pong are mere wisps, but that 2600 was AMAZING. I think I remember the day we got it, even, and if I'm correct then the 2nd game I remember playing was Combat.

Wow, I forgot about this thread. I vaguely recall posting "Pong" on like the first page :D

To elaborate, I played Pong on a dedicated device that was about the size of an Atari 2600. I believe it was on a color TV (but it had a dial!) but of course Pong was black and white (of course). Later in life I had an Atari 2600 on possibly the same TV. My memories of pong are mere wisps, but that 2600 was AMAZING. I think I remember the day we got it, even, and if I'm correct then the 2nd game I remember playing was Combat.

If I remember correctly I think I played it on the dedicated device first too, but we also got a 2600 shortly afterwards.

I remember combat, the game with two little blocky tanks shooting at each other, ah those were the days!

I know they were terrible games really and wouldn't hold our interest for more than ten minutes now, but rose tinted glasses and all that. :)

I know they were terrible games really and wouldn't hold our interest for more than ten minutes now, but rose tinted glasses and all that. :)

That actually brings up a good idea for a followup question. What's the first game you remember playing that - later in life - you went back to and found was still actually quite fun?

For me that would be Adventure on the Atari 2600. About 10 years ago I tried Indenture - which is a faithful rewrite of the game to work on "modern" computers - and found it to be still an enjoyable game. and what do you know? I still had the three mazes memorized.

You can play it in a browser here: http://www.myabandonware.com/game/indenture-1my/play

I played one game and yeah, it's still fun :) Basic, but fun.

Edited by 5thHorseman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.