[WIP - 0.25] Squad HD Re-texture Project - Continuous Release (July 25)

blackheart612

AO Baby Yeah!

I'd try to tweak the values to make it look less grainy by increasing the samples (World properties tab, under "Gather") , otherwise great! You've made me very happy. :)

EDIT:

Also it looks like the mesh hasn't been smoothed before you baked. Usually baking AO will make smoothed mesh look smooth by compensating but I can see individually shaded faces here.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

No problem blackheart612. I agree with Slippyfrog. Not grainy looks nicer to me. If you want some variety in the colour instead of having it look flat you can always add some noise or even better just find a detailed dirty metal texture somewhere and add it on top of everything in burn mode and low opacity. Sorry if I'm being presumptuous. Anyway those look close to being finished. I'm waiting eagerly.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

No problem blackheart612. I agree with Slippyfrog. Not grainy looks nicer to me. If you want some variety in the colour instead of having it look flat you can always add some noise or even better just find a detailed dirty metal texture somewhere and add it on top of everything in burn mode and low opacity. Sorry if I'm being presumptuous. Anyway those look close to being finished. I'm waiting eagerly.

Well, there are still a couple engines left. And remember it's a Squad Retexture pack and I am currently busy with another project. I've decided I have to release an engine phase. There really isn't that much to edit with others anyway.

Regarding others, Well, not grainy it is!

Hi Blackheart612, just wanted you to know you've been added to my "top ten modders to watch" list. Your work is impressive. Can't wait to see what you do with the rest of this project and the others you're working on. Thanks for sharing your talent with the rest of us. See ya in The Black!

I was doing Skipper today and I planned it to be a J-2/SPS Mix. I have tried it and it looked good so far. I'm currently working on the bump maps. After this, I do capsules and then Mainsail. You think it's good or should I add anything?

bTIs3zM.png

Its really too bad that the Skipper's texture on that red line is back to back and the other is flipped so I can't make a texture that has the word "SKIPPER" on it. :( Makes me really sad. I know I can edit the UV map but I am noob in importing properly some modules, including engines of course. And it's just a "retexture" anyway..

Hi Blackheart612, just wanted you to know you've been added to my "top ten modders to watch" list. Your work is impressive. Can't wait to see what you do with the rest of this project and the others you're working on. Thanks for sharing your talent with the rest of us. See ya in The Black!

Thank you, I really appreciate what you said. Gives more motivation :)

Edited by blackheart612

You think it's good or should I add anything?http://i.imgur.com/bTIs3zM.png

Most real rocket engines I've seen have lots of small grooves running up or around the nozzle. That' something a bump map could do. Just google rocket engine images.

Its really too bad that the Skipper's texture on that red line is back to back and the other is flipped so I can't make a texture that has the word "SKIPPER" on it.

What do you mean? It shouldn't matter how it's mapped, as long as it's mapped you should be able to write something somehow, even if you have to flip it. :rolleyes:

Most real rocket engines I've seen have lots of small grooves running up or around the nozzle. That' something a bump map could do. Just google rocket engine images.

That's for banded nozzles. Presumably blackheart is going for the carbon-carbon monobloc nozzle look here.

What do you mean? It shouldn't matter how it's mapped, as long as it's mapped you should be able to write something somehow, even if you have to flip it. :rolleyes:

No. Point is, if you write it on one side, it'll appear mirrored on the other. Like blackheart, y'know, says.

The Mainsail texture is a MASSIVE improvement over stock methinks, but I would probably just stick to that one atm. I like engines that aren't uniform in appearance, and that each add their own personality, however some of the stock textures (like the Mainsail) are a wee bit too flashy or otherwise gaudi, whereas your Mainsail is much grittier, which I love.

Keep up the good work though! I'm confident that over time this will evolve into something great.

**EDIT! -I love your Skipper texture too. I missed that one before.

...if you write it on one side, it'll appear mirrored on the other...

Yes, I am sorry if I am a bit confusing when explaining.

Also, the grooves are absent due to the plan of mixing the SPS with J-2. Is it bad like that?

The Mainsail texture is a MASSIVE improvement over stock methinks, but I would probably just stick to that one atm. I like engines that aren't uniform in appearance, and that each add their own personality, however some of the stock textures (like the Mainsail) are a wee bit too flashy or otherwise gaudi, whereas your Mainsail is much grittier, which I love.

Keep up the good work though! I'm confident that over time this will evolve into something great.

**EDIT! -I love your Skipper texture too. I missed that one before.

Yeah, well, it will retain the textures but would be redesigned to match the rather more solid texture plan on the new ones.

It looks fine now (as does basically all your stuff! Wow... :) ) but if you're casting about deciding, you might take it in the direction of the RL-10B:

rl10.jpg

Where there's a banded metal upper section to the nozzle, and a monobloc carbon-carbon bottom.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.