[WIP - 0.25] Squad HD Re-texture Project - Continuous Release (July 25)

blackheart612

Ooooh, this looks great. It's funny because someone made a stockalike retexture of one of the KW engines.

Anyway, I wish you best of luck with this project. If I end up using it, I'll most likely do some editing to allow me to have both the stock and the kw-style stock engines.

EDIT: Am I just weird, that I use both addon and stock engines alongside each other? A lot of people complain that stock is ugly.

I'm very much in favor of this idea. I avoid using stock parts SPECIFICALLY because I can't stand the way they look! Look at any real space vehicle launched since... well, ever. Shuttle external fuel tank aside, how much orange have you seen? Or black and yellow diagonal warning stripes? Yeah, not much at all. I mean, they didn't really WANT the shuttle tank to be orange, remember that it was painted white for the first several flights. It was only because they realized that the paint weighed something like 800 pounds that they decided to leave it unpainted.

So yes, please, I would definitely use a texture replacement pack for ALL of Squad's parts, if you felt so inclined, lol. But to start with the engines and fuel tanks is the best course of action, IMO, because those are the ugliest of the stock parts. And it wouldn't really matter if they 'exactly match' KW Rocketry's textures or not, just as long as they look better than the stock parts. But yes, KW and AIES would be very good targets to aim for, style-wise. :)

I hope you keep working on this, Blackheart, so I'll look forward to further developments.

Later. :D

Actually, orange, insulated tanks were used on Delta IV and Atlas V. But there, they had a clear purpose: the booster was in the airflow, so the outside could get quite hot (yeah, Atlas V Heavy never flew, but it's still being offered). Also, I've seen a Centaur with orange insulation, probably there to limit H2 boiloff during long coasting period it was capable of.

1. You can double the texture size and it will double in game too, without mapping issues (for a better resolution). At least this should be possible, I didn't actually try xD It works in any other game.

2. You can use the Firespitter texture switcher module to switch textures in VAB, so that not only you can have multiple textures, but you can also leave the stock ones so anyone could switch to them in game if they prefer them (example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0t166bm0kvmoi9d/kom1.mp4)

wouldnt it be better to make a few differnt designs then do have a button to hit to change the texture. a mod like this would be perfect to use .cfg to pull the textures from other places to use on the stock parts. so kw,aies,np and others u could mess with to use there textures on stock or vice versa.

Great job. I agree that you should double (actually, quadruple) the texture size, because IMO you should at least be able to read the "Mainsail" text... ;P

Could you push a prerelease pre alpha already? I'd love to light this baby!

Great job. I agree that you should double (actually, quadruple) the texture size, because IMO you should at least be able to read the "Mainsail" text... ;P

Could you push a prerelease pre alpha already? I'd love to light this baby!

QUADRUBLE TEXTURE SIZE? DAFUQ???

Very few people spend time examining their crafts while in flight, and increasing texture size will also increase memory usage, thus allowing for less mods. And a quadrupled texture size would mean a sixteen times increase in memory usage for that part. Seriously, the texture doesn't need more than a doubling, if it even needs an increase in size.

MeCripp: for parts that support texture switching, right-click on them to get the tweakables menu (in the VAB) and click the button called "next texture"...

If you want to add that capability to parts, you add the MODULE block to the cfg and point to the textures to switch between and the name of the mesh(es) the texture is applied to.

MeCripp: for parts that support texture switching, right-click on them to get the tweakables menu (in the VAB) and click the button called "next texture"...

If you want to add that capability to parts, you add the MODULE block to the cfg and point to the textures to switch between and the name of the mesh(es) the texture is applied to.

TY was reading the change in the last firespitter and seen it was alittle lost tell seen it had to have the module on the part ty again and if blackheart612 starts made stock look this good, I might start using more stock part.:D

QUADRUBLE TEXTURE SIZE? DAFUQ???

Very few people spend time examining their crafts while in flight, and increasing texture size will also increase memory usage, thus allowing for less mods. And a quadrupled texture size would mean a sixteen times increase in memory usage for that part. Seriously, the texture doesn't need more than a doubling, if it even needs an increase in size.

Hey, easy a bit ;) what I meant to say is that 'double-sizing' textures (ex: 1024x1024 to 2048x2048) actually quadruples the size of the textures. Of course I do not want a 16x texture size increase :P

Hope this clears things up a bit :)

Yeah, well, you really guys want to double texture size? It's a KW based re-texture anyway.

BUT I really intended them to be a low-res texture (as big as Squad's) so that It won't have much to eat in memory usage.

Edit, Kombobulus Modular Station? ._. W-What is that? Is that w-wha- I d- nevermind.

I'll try using Firespitter texture changer (b'_')b thank you

Edited by blackheart612

So I tried with the poodle and an early humdrum stealing of texture from the Orion in Chaka Monkey Space Exploration for the Mk 1-2

Here's the result:

dlWXCZY.png

J0aKAY7.png

Edit: Whoops, just realized I doubled posted >.> Dammit, didn't see my early post

Edited by blackheart612
Double Post

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.