[WIP] Loading textures only as required

Faark

TextureReplacer works fine if you disable texture compression (thanks for the tip!) RasterPropMonitor and VisualEnhancement both seem to work just fine. Distant Objects I am not sure of.. The distant planets work just fine, but I don't have a current save in a situation to test out the distant vessels, someone else should test this

Yeah, you can ignore what I was saying about the possible issues. I don't think they will cause problems with the way you are actually doing the replacing.

Anyone tried this with a heavily modded game (kspi, kw, b9, etc) that requires active texture management mod or using mid res textures to not hit ram cap and disabled active texture management and set textures to high? Wonder if it we could stop living in the land of blurry textures.

Anyone tried this with a heavily modded game (kspi, kw, b9, etc) that requires active texture management mod or using mid res textures to not hit ram cap and disabled active texture management and set textures to high? Wonder if it we could stop living in the land of blurry textures.

Haha, what about Mac users?

Oh right, forgot those exist, well *nix users as well, though I think there is some less than ideal unity64 solution on nix? But frankly if you play games OSX isn't the platform of choice, that's a factual statement, and I think macs can run windows as well

Oh right, forgot those exist, well *nix users as well, though I think there is some less than ideal unity64 solution on nix? But frankly if you play games OSX isn't the platform of choice, that's a factual statement, and I think macs can run windows as well

Haha, I'm not a Mac user myself, but ouch. I would be quick to remind you that OSX is actually gaining a LOT of traction in the gaming community. They should definitely not be discounted as a user base. You are correct that Linux users have an 64 bit binary to run.

Yes I tried exactly that

54Lng8S.png

Note the high res textures on the redstone tank and mercury pod

*pinches arm....

No not dreaming. Wooohoooo! This something I've been looking forward to.

Would you consider including textures for planets as well? I think that would open up the possibility of having an entire galaxy of stars and planets :D (or am I too optimistic right now?)

Haha, I'm not a Mac user myself, but ouch. I would be quick to remind you that OSX is actually gaining a LOT of traction in the gaming community. They should definitely not be discounted as a user base. You are correct that Linux users have an 64 bit binary to run.

I don't own a mac, I don't know anyone that owns a mac, they're not really a thing in my life, macs are a lot more rare outside the US, as far as I know the vast majority of games are windows only, and there has been an indie trend towards supporting linux recently spurred on by saint gabe getting bent out of shape about the Win8 store which on one uses nor cares about, don't get me wrong, I know people use macs, but they're a small minority and they're even smaller amongst gamers, and as said I think macs can run windows? a mac gamer would have to do that already for most games, but yeah ideally a solution to fix the ram issues on all platforms would be nice.

Found a bug: when i was testing if changing texture quality affect fps with this plugin i got this:

Before changing:

v9Hblxx.png

After changing:

sZPKEQd.png

However, if i changed back to half quality and return to tracking station and back it is fixed.

Edit: some parts will not get their textures fixed after you done that.

Edited by MK3424

I'm assuming you restarted KSP after changing texture quality?

I haven't: i only changed texture quality ingame and it gave me that effect, when i reloaded the scen by exiting flight and then resume flight it got partially fixed: some texture seems to still had the texture issue.

Holy Crud! You just gave me a BRILLIANT idea! All this time, I've been re-loading textures already loaded by KSP. There is no reason why I couldn't load up the TextureDB with my cached textures first right!? This could speed up loading time tremendously!

Just to throw in, this looks very cool, i'm always in favor of exotic/insane solutions to problems. (See most KSP launches.)

As for the mac, eh; many of us (myself included) bought the game BECAUSE it is offered win/mac/nix, just to point out. If this is directx, it's directx. It's not as if you're withholding anything intentionally.

But yes, very cool. Maybe it'll kickstart squad into working around the feet draggers over at unity.

Hmm... Doesn't seem to be working on my end. My modlist does require aggressive Resource Management (it's upwards of 3GB) but as referenced by others, this does appear to work... Interesting...

Edit:

Yes I tried exactly that

http://i.imgur.com/54Lng8S.png

Note the high res textures on the redstone tank and mercury pod

You seem to be running an old-ish version of my mod btw...

Edited by BananaDealer

I installed the required packs (even twice) to be shure that i was doing the right thing. (turns out i had wrong the C++ redistributable pack installed, i should have installed the x86 instead of x64)

I installed the required packs (even twice) to be shure that i was doing the right thing. (turns out i had wrong the C++ redistributable pack installed, i should have installed the x86 instead of x64)

Yeah, I'm reinstalling them again just to make sure...

Edit: Well, I reinstalled the things... The LOD display appears as before on the loading screen...

Edited by BananaDealer

I dunno what's wrong then, to be shure i also installed the other packages.

Anyway, i'm off (i'm tired now).

No idea why but it seems to be working now...

Edit: Well, sorta... Some textures appear to be not loading right (the purple checkers thing)...

Edit 2: Working well now. Here's a pic for ref:

Q43W3Rk.png

Edited by BananaDealer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.