[WIP] Loading textures only as required

Faark

Just sending them is fine. I would prefer the complete KSP.log, KSP_Data\output_log.txt and GameData\LoadOnDemand\LoadOnDemand.log in a single archive.

[Part from LoadOnDemand.log]

This log part tells us that something has compressed one of the thumbnail textures created by this mod. It currently can't handle that). It doesn't tell what texture, but i would assume it was caused by another mod (similar to what TextureReplacer did) or sth else my environment doesn't have. Do you might use DAE models?

As said this really has some serious potential. Although i was wondering how long could it take to load for example SRI textures or KSO textures in VAB...

Oh crap! I can't use it i have Windows XP and .Net 4.5.1 doesn't work! *sigh* i think i really have to update to Windows 7...

As said this really has some serious potential. Although i was wondering how long could it take to load for example SRI textures or KSO textures in VAB...

Oh crap! I can't use it i have Windows XP and .Net 4.5.1 doesn't work! *sigh* i think i really have to update to Windows 7...

I'd advise to just update outright to Win 8.1, that way you save yourself one period of readjusting to a new system.

I'd advise to just update outright to Win 8.1, that way you save yourself one period of readjusting to a new system.

But does ksp work on windows 8.1?

Well i have a plan that i will take my grandma's computer (it's strange because she has better comp than me) and if possible after some time update to 8.1. And well i think i will update to windows 9 after it comes out :P, because i simply don't like the look of Windows 8.1, it is just so strange and squar-y.

Edited by cziken20

Win 3.11 was nice

Win 95 was crap

Win 98 was nice

Win Me was crap

Win XP was (and is) nice

Win Vista was (and is) crap

Win 7 is nice

Win 8... did you catch on the pattern? :wink:

Morale: Wait for Win 9 if you don't like Win7x64 :sticktongue:

Win8 has a bunch of good improvements in it, but the UI changes is... well, its a mobile UI forced onto a desktop system and kinda feels like that. Doesn't really have to do sth with their UI team, they desperately try to build up a software ecosystem. But it didn't hurt selling it for basically nothing at launch and i stuck with it.

Anyway, i already replaced the very few locations that actually depended on >net4, so the next version does support XP!

I don't, but does it crash with TextureReplacer? Cause I have it.

Jop, unless you disable compression. The post i had already linked above kinda describes how.

A few seconds for a page full of parts at worst, but you don't really have to care, since those low-detail 32x32 thumbnails that are always loaded (and just take about 11mb on my 4gb+ GameData directory) are more than good enough to identify a part.

@.23.5

I haven't tried the old assemblies, but it recompiled just fine and i haven't noticed any ingame issues so far. Old ones probably work just fine, but you might want to upgrade anyway. The new version doesn't freeze KSP when quiting the game, should be more compatible with e.g. StretchySRB, does support XP, has a modified UI, and so forth...

No solution yet for "random" crashes, I'm afraid.

I'm already seeing incremental improvements on the previous version. I can't wait for one that compresses textures as well (or at least that can handle compressed textures), but even in current form, I'm running at around 2.9GB with almost 60 mods and with very little trouble.

Win 3.11 was nice

Win 95 was crap

Win 98 was nice

Win Me was crap

Win XP was (and is) nice

Win Vista was (and is) crap

Win 7 is nice

Win 8... did you catch on the pattern? :wink:

Morale: Wait for Win 9 if you don't like Win7x64 :sticktongue:

Ahh, you arent the only one who has seen that xD

But you forgot 2000 and the NT series, but since they were meant for buisness purposes the would be by default crap. Cant have your employees use something easy, right?

This may be a stupid question, but does the Active texture management plugin count as compressed textures for this, or is there any potential that they are compatible? I'm interested because ATM would allow the use of non-part texture heavy mods like clouds and city lights and planet factory. It also might reduce the incidence of OOM crashes when entering / exiting the VAB a lot.

EDIT: Nevermind, tried it and answered my own question. Will send the logs.

Edited by SpacedInvader

So you're saying Windows versions are the anti-Star Trek-movies.

SpacedInvader: meshes take up very little memory, all things considered; I doubt it's worth the effort.

Where is all that memory going then? Mostly textures even when they are being selectively loaded? I may have to load up a copy of KSP will no mods and all of the stock parts deleted to see just how much memory the engine by itself occupies...

SpacedInvader: it's not "the engine by itself"--remember there's a gig or so of textures in assets (like, say, all planet and UI textures), along with all the sounds and other resources.

Also the Voronoi craters on the Mun take up a lot of memory for caching--I haven't tried disabling them, but doubling the frequency of only *one* of the PQSMods takes up like 500mb extra.

One of the best mods I have seen in a while. I was sick of the texture compressor as it made the game look like crap and didn't keep it from crashing after many ship loads or menu switching. It looks like this even fixed the memory leak in the game as for the first time I actually notice the ram usage going DOWN when switching menus. Keep up the good work!

Also, is there a way you can make this mod ignore the textures in the FASA Gemini IVA. For some reason is makes you unable to see out the Gemini windows, they are completely black. I tested on a new install of ksp with just this mod and fasa and it is definitely this causing the windows to be black.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.