Kessler chaos - space debris clouds [0.23.5] [WIP] [Plugin]

Unit327

works fine on windows

Groovy, thanks for testing it.

also another thing just thought of have like a hardening for parts

At the moment it's tweaked so that the hardened pods (like the Mk1-2 pod) don't get destroyed, but everything else can. The actual speed of each particle is slightly randomised; some will have enough energy to destroy engines, some will just bounce off.

and for options we should have a option to turn if off for certain ship types. for example due to way joints are stations are had to move safetly in ksp so u could turn off chance of debris when your control a station

Nope! Don't want debris to hit your station? Don't leave space junk lying around in orbit!

hmm i feel that this should be tracked like asteroids so that we would know whether we will wander into them. Have them generated at random like asteroids.

I concur, but for the reasons outlined earlier, that might go in the "too hard basket".

I'd love to see this fleshed out to include micro-meteoroid strikes, and, if we get tracking, meteor showers/clusters. There was a micro-meteoroid mod, but it's dead now. It had a great "tin can" sound effect and sparks.

Good ideas. Sound is definitely on the list, as the impacts that happen without causing explosions can easily go unnoticed.

Can the next version include a button that causes the particles to come from the same direction the camera is pointing, from directly behind the camera, and then from the default- sun?

EDIT: Oh, and debris moving at that speed is probably dropping from a higher orbit to a lower orbit, so the highest relative speeds would be when the debris is moving from prograde-to-retrograde relative to your craft, and any strikes from the retrograde-to-prograde would be, almost always, slower.

Edited by Mekan1k

If you don't mind me bouncing ideas off you, how about having kessler clouds be tied into the actual orbit of debris with incresed likelyhood of these clouds appearing near the active spaceship the longer the debris has been there. Basically with it tied to debris orbit you'll only have to worry about getting kessler'd where your orbits get close and not get pelted by your equitorial rings when you're over the poles.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have a way to create true debris-fields rather than random ones, if a parts explodes in orbit it creates a debris-field around itself. The orbit of this field would be similar to the piece that exploded and the size of the cloud would be determined by the size of the part. This way you don't have to randomly generate them, they can be tracked cause it has the same orbit as the original part had. If this cloud destroys any other part(s) then the debris-cloud generated by that part would join the original debris-cloud and expand it if the orbits are roughly the same, if not or if the two move in opposite direction they would be two independent debris-clouds. However, even when a debris-cloud hits a part going in opposite direction it would still expand the original cloud a little bit.

I think the size of a small debris-cloud shoud be 4-7 KM wide, 2-5 KM high and 11-23 KM long, the more parts it destroys the bigger it gets.

And most importantly I think this would really create a tipping-point effect, as if nothing hasn't exploded yet there aren't any field but if something does explode then YOU ARE SCREWED!!!!

I know that this way the likelyhood of a kessler-syndrome starting is quiet low but I don't think we should always worry about fields.

Edited by Tom K.

Great ideas, unfortunately figuring out how and why to generate debris clouds is only part of the problem. The hard part is detecting when they intersect another vessel, especially at high time warp. The even harder part is actually implementing all this in code, testing it, fixing bugs etc.

Great ideas, unfortunately figuring out how and why to generate debris clouds is only part of the problem. The hard part is detecting when they intersect another vessel, especially at high time warp. The even harder part is actually implementing all this in code, testing it, fixing bugs etc.

You could look at how Kerbal Alarm Clock calculates close approaches for rendezvous.

Gotta say, im surpised this wasnt done yet. This is totally one of the things ive wanted in this game, as im one who always try to keep his space "clean", heh.

Thanks for doing something like this. Wish i could help you with some of your problems with generating debris but thats a bit beyond my simple skills :/

Good luck with this. Ill definitely be watching and using it

• 2 weeks later...

i think i have suggestion!

debris, as time passes it shoudl produce more debris - colliding with other things, micrometeorites etc. thats how kessler syndrome works.

this can be actually simulated in ksp. if something on orbit is marked as debris, whil time passes it shoudl separate into parts its is made of. so spend booster shoudl separate into tank, engine, controll fin, nose cone. 4 objects instead one. each object shoudl have slightly altered orbit, to create "clouds" of debris that actually might be dangerous on their own (in this mod you dont collide with actual ksp parts, parts of ship just separate simulating impact).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.