The Grand 0.23.5 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

It's pretty cool. You get the first stock 3.75m parts. Space rocks, the CLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW, and more.

All I want them to to is add an asteroid belt between Duna and Jool, where Dres's Orbit is.

The only thing I didn't like about ARM wasn't in-game. It's what happened on the forums.

Can everyone stop with causing a broken base and agree with each others opinions?

I've found something moar interesting, kerbin now does an orbit in a integral set of time (426d, each day 6h). Kerbal wiki states that Kerbin takes 9203545 seconds to do an orbit, but truth is it as today, it takes 9201600 seconds, witch is 1945 seconds faster or 32m 25s faster.

How did you measure this?

I was curious about this, and I actually do use some of these values, so I decided to see what the game spits out when I ask it.

I told it to write out some of the orbital and physical values for each celestial body, this is what came out for the sun and Kerbin.

Sun Mass: = 1.75656696858329E+28
Sun Radius: = 261600000
Kerbin Mass: = 5.29157926281091E+22
Kerbin Radius: = 600000
Kerbin Semi Major Axis: = 13599840256
Kerbin Semi Minor Axis: = 13599840256
Kerbin Apoapsis: = 13338240256
Kerbin Periapsis: = 13338240256
Kerbin Orbital Period: = 9203544.61750141
Kerbin Inclination: = 0
Kerbin Eccentricity: = 0

Obviously the sun doesn't have orbital parameters. But if you were to just glance at the values for Kerbin you might think something is wrong, the apoapsis/periapsis is significantly less than the SMA, which shouldn't happen with 0 eccentricity. But then if you take into account that apoapsis/periapsis is measured from the surface of the sun, not the center, you come back out with the correct numbers; 13599840256m for the SMA, and apo/peri.

The orbital period from in-game matches the old value and when I calculate it myself I get exactly the same numbers.

So either the game is spitting out incorrect values, they've changed the gravitational constant (which seems unwise), or maybe they're just fudging the numbers displayed on the MET timer.

Has anyone tried using the patcher using Mac OSX? I hit “update†after opening the launcher, but it just opens up a terminal window and doesn’t update the game. I need to upgrade to the second 0.23.5 update, but would prefer not to redownload the whole thing.

Actually my measure system was pretty simple. I simply warped to year 2 change and did the maths with seconds and stuff. More interesting is orbital parameters ingame is not what wiki says it needs to be.

The wiki values are intentionally different from the in-game values. In-game the apoapsis/periapsis distances are reported from the surface of the sun, in the wiki they are reported from the center of the sun. Add in the radius of the sun to the in-game values and they come out the same as the wiki values.

Did the Ion engine get an upgrade with 23.5? Mine is still 0.5 thrust...

Yeah, seems the ion engines did. i just accelerated on minmus to 60 m/s in about 8 seconds. that would usually take about a minute. looks like ion is the new way around town.

Has anyone found that by bringing over a save from 23.0 to 23.5 no asteroids spawn? As in I can start a new save and they will appear, but in a ported one they will not. Thoughts?

Are you 100% sure you're on the latest version? There was a version between 0.23 and what is currently available for download that had this problem, but the most current version works fine. I've had the same game running since 0.22 for my YouTube series and I have asteroids in it right now.

ION engine thrust upgrade

+

Massless Batteries

+

Massless Solar cells

+

Massless structure (cubic octagonal)

=

ONE HUGE BALANCE BREAKER!!!!!!!

From low Kerbin orbit, you can send a Kerbal *anywhere*, and very likely return him, simply by mounting him on a command chair, on one tank of xenon and an ion drive. Add as many solar cells and batteries as you want, sculpt trusses for the power system and landing legs for your vehicle out of cubic octagonals, and you can fly to mun, visit *all* biomes, and return to low Kerbin orbit.

On.

One.

Tank.

Of.

Xenon.

I find this a mite unrealistic!

Edited by MarvinKitFox
feeksing spahlling meestaykes

ION engine thrust upgrade

+

Massless Batteries

+

Massless Solar cells

+

Massless structure (cubic octagonal)

=

ONE HUGE BALANCE BREAKER!!!!!!!

From low Kerbin orbit, you can send a Kerbal *anywhere*, and very likely return him, simply by mounting him on a command chair, on one tank of xenon and an ion drive. Add as many solar cells and batteries as you want, sculpt trusses for the power system and landing legs for your vehicle out of cubic octagonals, and you can fly to mun, visit *all* biomes, and return to low Kerbin orbit.

On.

One.

Tank.

Of.

Xenon.

I find this a mite unrealistic!

There are massless batteries? Do tell.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.