I'm sorry, I... I just don't like ARM... :(

Naten

Well, I think I *may* have found the fun in .23.5 that I was afraid had been lost...

JjcyUXCl.png

I think a pretty decent mini-game can be made out of trying to break ludicrous rocket designs now while in flight. Throw in some Tony Hawk style combos like for the hang-time I'm catching in that screenshot, and we've really got something.

You might as well hyperedit your payload into orbit :)

That totally misses the opportunity for trick combos on the way up though :)

And BTW, that isn't really a payload up top in my screenshot. That's one of the new large tanks, full (all the tanks are), for extra bendiness and thus trick potential. If you want to be a big-time pro-Kater, you need to know these things, and attaching an extra 41 tons of dead weight to the top of a 1.25m max height stack is a surefire way to drive the fans wild.

Edited by FlowerChild

I will agree it's got a bit too "pre-made" to the engines, I do like the design they went with but then again, it doesn't fit very well with the podgyness I love that has been with us thus far.

As for stabilizing the joints making it to dang easy, I really love that they found the magic spot in Unity to fix this but I think they did go to far. I can balance way to much on way to little now, I kinda miss the ultra rockets collapsing under their own weight during acceleration.

Cutting the parts needed for a rocket; I think the only thing they cut down in this update was the plain silly amount of struts required, the game is much more playable and enjoyable because of it. Although building epic rockets with no struts at all doesn't feel Kerbalish.

The new engines do seem a bit overpowered compared to the older engines, BUT, the older engines were underpowered vastly compared to real life counterparts power/weight ratio (Remember reading this somewhere, no scientific facts available). But even the new engines couldn't lift my nonsense so I have to do this still.

ScreenShot2014-04-03at82742PM_zps6d1fd96e.png

Edited by Azuratte

You might as well hyperedit your payload into orbit :)

That's a variation of the "if this goes on..." logical fallacy. You don't want to use the new engines? You may as well stick to the parts that were only available in 0.16. See? It doesn't work that way either.

And frankly sometimes I feel like it'd be justified to hyperedit stuff into orbit, when the only thing keeping them on the ground is stupid physics and part count limits.

I couldn't agree more. I am not too excited about the ARM pack either. Now we will have to deal with asteroids crashing into our space stations and other stuff that we don't want to happen. There should atleast be something in the configs that lets you disable asteroids from spawning. On the other hand, we get practically 3 science from going through the trouble of getting onto asteroids and doing whatever to them. Also, asteroids spawn to frequently, after 5 minutes, I already have like 40 asteroids, around 35 or so coming into Kerbin's SOI, and about 5 of those are on a collision course. Just after 5 minutes.

What I'm hearing is, "You kids and yer fancy new parts don't play like I did back in the day when men were men!" Pardon me while I land this asteroid on your lawn.

Just no asteroids bigger than 5x5x5 meters please. I don't want a crater on my lawn like last time you tried landing an asteroid on it.

I couldn't agree more. I am not too excited about the ARM pack either. Now we will have to deal with asteroids crashing into our space stations and other stuff that we don't want to happen. There should atleast be something in the configs that lets you disable asteroids from spawning. On the other hand, we get practically 3 science from going through the trouble of getting onto asteroids and doing whatever to them. Also, asteroids spawn to frequently, after 5 minutes, I already have like 40 asteroids, around 35 or so coming into Kerbin's SOI, and about 5 of those are on a collision course. Just after 5 minutes.

You cant just.. ignore them?

I get what is being said about the simplification of construction brought by the larger parts, but the same things were being said when we got the larger parts with the orange tank and Mainsail. Players did then what they're going to do now; use just as many of the larger parts to make even bigger things. :)

I totally feel you. However, the SLS parts are actually mathematically unbalanced. It is possible to make them more challenging to use without reducing their power. If you haven't already seen it, check out stupid_chris's post with an amazing analysis of engine balance and suggestions for a SLS rebalance that maintains their high power (in the engine cluster, at least).

The post is here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/74448-SLS-engines-Probe-Rockomax-buffed-ions-and-a-larger-solar-system?p=1057132#post1057132

A lot of asteroids impact Kerbin compared to the amount come by Kerbin. Even if an asteroid isn't supposed to impact my stuff, I still feel nervous when asteroids are about to crash onto the surface or come really close.

But you can remove the ARM GameData folder. The asteroids are parts, so they can be removed easily. I wonder how easy or difficult it would be to get one in the parts list? :)

What I'm hearing is, "You kids and yer fancy new parts don't play like I did back in the day when men were men!" Pardon me while I land this asteroid on your lawn.

I know right?

But excuse me as well. You just gave me the idea of using the Klaw to perform lip-tricks off of asteroids I've pulled into orbit. Man, that combo simply will not stop.

Edited by FlowerChild

There are things I like about it and things I don't, but the bigger parts aren't that much more useful than the older ones. I've found I'm able to make rockets somewhat bigger, but not massively bigger, and I still need to use asparagus staging.

I will agree though that it seems like there are just too many near-earth asteroids. The sky is littered with them.

I didn't lift 90 tons with 6 parts-- I did it with 92. My rocket was a big bundle of clipped booster that looks like!e the SLS. :P

I bet with these parts you can make the SLS..... And a lifter that lifts the SLS to deliver to Eve... For the SLS can take off from Eve, and come back hom... Yup.. sounds like a plan.

A lot of asteroids impact Kerbin compared to the amount come by Kerbin. Even if an asteroid isn't supposed to impact my stuff, I still feel nervous when asteroids are about to crash onto the surface or come really close.

They don't spawn unless you track them. -__-

I couldn't agree more. I am not too excited about the ARM pack either. Now we will have to deal with asteroids crashing into our space stations

Do you have any idea how slim the odds are of that happening? You have just as much to fear from your own orbiting debris. A couple of asteroids isn't going to change anything.

If an asteroid actually hits your space station, I suggest you go out and buy a lottery ticket.

So does this mean you've all found something to ***** about making the game too easy that isn't MechJeb, and finally shut up about that?

No?

Well if MechJeb worked in 23.5 we would. :) (Not really, mechjeb is cool)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.