ARM Pack Appreciation

I'm quite the opposite.

I'm just being cheeky here, but ...

You are keen on the Asteroid Recovery stuff, you *HATE* the 3.5m parts, you havnt wanted to make a good SLS for a long time and this update doesnt do just that :)

I get what you area saying though, but I love the asteroid recovery, and the new parts.

<3

I'm just being cheeky here, but ...

You are keen on the Asteroid Recovery stuff, you *HATE* the 3.5m parts, you havnt wanted to make a good SLS for a long time and this update doesnt do just that :)

I get what you area saying though, but I love the asteroid recovery, and the new parts.

<3

Actually apart from the last one,yes.Hate may be a strong word but I just don't like how I can throw away a 100 up ton launcher which took quite a while of work(with a D/v calculator)and replace it with an SLS launcher thrown together in a few minutes.I just don't plan on using them until they become a bit more balanced.

I love this update just as is - mainly because I play career mode almost exclusively.

Asteroid recovery is a cool new optional goal in career mode - giving a way to get a bit more science near Kerbin. By only complaint is that I wish I could use more science tools on the thing - going through all that work just to get a sample doesn't seem particularly rewarding. That said - it's optional! If I don't want to deal with asteroids, I can just ignore them.

I love the new parts, they are placed perfectly in the updated Science tree. It does, however, simplify some missions which were quite a challenge in the past. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, as the real challenge is in understanding orbital mechanics well enough to pull off your crazy mission. But it is rewarding, at the top of the tech tree, to be able to do amazing things so simply.

Actually apart from the last one,yes.Hate may be a strong word but I just don't like how I can throw away a 100 up ton launcher which took quite a while of work(with a D/v calculator)and replace it with an SLS launcher thrown together in a few minutes.I just don't plan on using them until they become a bit more balanced.

Come on, that's the same as lifting 36 tons with 1.25m parts and then with 2.5m parts. They're bigger, so they're obviously going to lift more.

Its not the parts that are the problem... Obviously a 2.5 lifter meant to carry 2.5 loads will easily carry 1.25M parts...

The thing is that the engines are just a little bit... tad... overpowered.. I like it... But... yeah. :) Guaranteed they get nerfed... Remember the Mainsail... At one point they were a little... bit... more powerful. ;)

A person using the 3.5 parts to lift small loads is doing it because they have no restrictions. Once you get a contract that pays say... 75,000 K.. And that 3.5M Lifter and load cost you say 200,000K to use... Things will change..

But until that happens, then no restrictions.

Edited by malkuth

I'm with Spartwo and SSSPutnik - the improvements to the game itself are outstanding, the new parts are just 'yeah, ok'. Being able to single-stage a 5 -part rocket to Mun makes things just a tad too easy at the moment, so I await the nerf.

As a career player I do not mind new and more powerful and efficient/easier to built parts up in the tech tree, not forgetting they were mostly designed to work in the NASA demonstration scenario and were only added to the core game because the community was already sharpening their teeth should it not happen. :wink:

(And maybe at some point the player has earned the right to get an easier way and use more of his time doing stuff in space?)

Will I get laughed at if I tell you that I did not even get my asteroid grabber into orbit when I tried to launch it (the five times that I didnt have any dumb staging errors destroying the rocket on the pad or at the first booster seperation...) in a stock .23.5 install?

I dont know, maybe I have been playing with FAR far to long to remember how to fly in the soup ...

I love the update in all aspects. It adds lots of new possibilities and depths to the game. And the new parts are awesome!

I miss some minor cosmetic things like an orange version of the large tank for proper NASA replicas and a single free usable engine version of those available as clusters, but that is just a personal wish. The new parts are great and all the care that was given to lots of minor issues and bugs is really nice. Thank you Squad!

I like the improved performance, decals, nodes and the joint improvements, the rest... meh...

This sums up my feelings to a word. The improvements to the game engine itself are excellent. The asteroids are ok. The new parts are disappointing for me.

Though I like the more powerful ion, even if it's not realistic.

The thing is that the engines are just a little bit... tad... overpowered.. I like it... But... yeah. :) Guaranteed they get nerfed... Remember the Mainsail... At one point they were a little... bit... more powerful. ;)

You sure about that Mainsail claim. According the wiki the Mainsail actually only became more powerful after the 0.17 update.

I like the "overpowered" engines - because they are at the tippy top of the tech tree. By that point it should be more about the payload (e.g. the ship you're taking to Jool and all its moons) rather than how you lift it into orbit. By this point in career, every one of us has lifted so many loads into LKO that it's should be trivial. There is still plenty of challenges in where your ship can go afterwards - and the Class 3 parts really don't help for interplanetary stuff once in orbit. (in fact, they're pretty bad at it, comparatively).

I love watching this update!

I'm scared that you will do with the new parts and even more the stronger joints, I have done 120 ton SSTO with seven 3.75 meter stacks, I lack imagination on that you will do.

Only problem might be that you find it too easy but I guess you will scale up your projects.

Can I marry a persistent maneuver node? Seriously that is the biggest plus for me! Sure the other mods to the maneuver nodes are nice, I can build bigger tankers to support my planetary exploration armadas, oh and I have a plan for the new ION on steriods.

Because of the way I am playing my career save (which I happily moved into .23.5) it will be a while before my ships get to the first asteroid I have targeted, however, one of these days I will get one(or a dozen) into LKO.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.