Better Atmospheres Development Thread

While testing on Laythe, I found this nice little hole in the cloud layers, and it seems like an interesting idea to try and fly a plane through that gap.

AiCOWmo.png

I've also started work on Eeloo's atmosphere, it's going pretty good actually. I'll post some pics of that later. Also, more ideas!

When Nathan replies, hopefully all the RSS problems will be fixed. Would you guys like me to get rid of the white in kerbin's atmosphere on the ground? It kinda bugs me, you guys?

Any other atmospherefromground changes that would be good? I don't explore outside Kerbin much, so i really don't know :P

Here's a video demonstrating the storm clouds at the surface(sorry for no audio).

Oh and the spaceport mirror is fixed.

Looks good! :D if it's possible though, maybe turning one of the non-atmosphere planets into a titan look-a-like would be awesome! I'm afraid though that there likely isn't a way to add an atmosphere to a planet huh?

For the dust storm problem, can you maybe PM me a pic of your cloud folder?

Not quite sure I understand.. it's just the texture folder, BA cfg and the Duna dust storms cfg from the EVE thread.. In game, I can choose which one I want applied, but I can't have both at the same time :/

Side note: I really much prefer Lacks Laythe (http://i.imgur.com/o52U7iB.png) but I can see I'm in the minority here so yeah, I look forward to whatever she comes out looking like :) (yes, Laythe is a she).

Looks good! :D if it's possible though, maybe turning one of the non-atmosphere planets into a titan look-a-like would be awesome! I'm afraid though that there likely isn't a way to add an atmosphere to a planet huh?

In short, I can't actually add atmospheres, but i can create an illusion. I'm adding them to Vall and Eeloo. Due to them being REALLY thin, it will create the effect that their is one, but too thin to create drag/ make parachutes work.

Not quite sure I understand.. it's just the texture folder, BA cfg and the Duna dust storms cfg from the EVE thread.. In game, I can choose which one I want applied, but I can't have both at the same time :/

Side note: I really much prefer Lacks Laythe (http://i.imgur.com/o52U7iB.png) but I can see I'm in the minority here so yeah, I look forward to whatever she comes out looking like :) (yes, Laythe is a she).

Oh, I thought you meant that Dust storms wouldn't appear in general. Makes some sense. Hm, did you add a dash to it. I.E "cloudLayers-DunaDustStorms"?

Oh, I thought you meant that Dust storms wouldn't appear in general. Makes some sense. Hm, did you add a dash to it. I.E "cloudLayers-DunaDustStorms"?

Yup, it's called cloudLayers-dunaduststorms. I'll post pictures once KSP's booted up. I have a feeling this is about to get embarrassing though... :D

EDIT: Uhh... I'll just show myself out and hide in that hole over here...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Sorry! In my defence though, when I tried it last, I was above Kerbin and when I switched cfgs, Kerbins clouds switched too so I thought the same would happen on Duna.. I've been trying to get CoolRockets working with KW Rocketry since then so haven't had much time to explore.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

While testing on Laythe, I found this nice little hole in the cloud layers, and it seems like an interesting idea to try and fly a plane through that gap.

That's somewhat how I envisioned Eve where Sea level will be thick with clouds and fog but at about 2 or 3k, you hit a band of clear so on some of Eve's higher levels, you could look out at the mist shrouded lowlands and look up at the imposing clouds overhead. It would certainly make for an epic scene if you had a mobile launch system like what Scott Manley did on Eve or Bust, the fog enshrouded rover journeys to the launch point and breaks through and has the farthest sights they've seen since landing near the coast.

I feel like a lot of the changes are too big a departure from stock for my tastes, but that's not to fault the work itself. It's interesting to see the tweaks and stuff you're doing with this.

Edited by FenrirWolf

I'm concerned about Laythe being difficult to find a place to land due to the thick cloud coverage. It's a good effect, but we don't have any vanilla technology in order to map terrain, which leaves us with either toning down the atmospheric effects or installing another mod. Neither is a fun choice.

Also, how are your solar panels working on the surface?!

P.S. I wanted to report a fantastic side-effect of this mod. My probe, which happens to be in space between planets right now, is able to spot a glowing Moho, Eve, Duna, Jool, Kerbin (and the Mun and Minmus) and possibly Eeloo (there's a flickering light, and I don't have any other probes out that way, so I'm guessing that's what it is) without the aid of a telescope or zoom. That's pretty cool.

I'm concerned about Laythe being difficult to find a place to land due to the thick cloud coverage. It's a good effect, but we don't have any vanilla technology in order to map terrain, which leaves us with either toning down the atmospheric effects or installing another mod. Neither is a fun choice.

Also, how are your solar panels working on the surface?!

P.S. I wanted to report a fantastic side-effect of this mod. My probe, which happens to be in space between planets right now, is able to spot a glowing Moho, Eve, Duna, Jool, Kerbin (and the Mun and Minmus) and possibly Eeloo (there's a flickering light, and I don't have any other probes out that way, so I'm guessing that's what it is) without the aid of a telescope or zoom. That's pretty cool.

he probably hyper edited the stock rover there to just show the clouds to us. But still, even with clear daylight, solar panels are still VERY inefficient. There, RTG's (and reactors for all you interstellar folks) are the way to go.

he probably hyper edited the stock rover there to just show the clouds to us. But still, even with clear daylight, solar panels are still VERY inefficient. There, RTG's (and reactors for all you interstellar folks) are the way to go.

I did hyperedit it into orbit, but descended manually. I will make the ground more visible though.

Managed, Land is visible, Still has a titan-esque feel to it, and the surface is still stormy.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

What other additions should i make to laythe? Or is this good enough for Laythe, and i should move on to another planet/moon?

Edited by Thesonicgalaxy

I did hyperedit it into orbit, but descended manually. I will make the ground more visible though.

Managed, Land is visible, Still has a titan-esque feel to it, and the surface is still stormy.

http://imgur.com/a/350tJ

What other additions should i make to laythe? Or is this good enough for Laythe, and i should move on to another planet/moon?

I think that there should be another layer hidden in the middle of a giant storm (mostly black/white texture) that is apparent in a certain spot similar to that of the one on titan:

(ref. image)

Titan-storm1.jpg