Better Atmospheres Development Thread

I still haven't launched KSP since monday so I haven't yet experienced your work. One silly question :

- I'm gonna use the Duna duststorms. Is there a way to get some dustclouds shadows like you add to Kerbin for instance ?

EDIT : Oh yes ALSO

lunar-libration-gif-39959.gif

blood-moon-eclipse-39894.gif

Edited by vanlock

Based off of some of your suggestions, this is what i've come up with so far. -

http://imgur.com/a/fI14N

Feedback is always nice.

Wow. SO MUCH AMAZE! Still not back to my pc yet, just a few more days guaahh D:

Kerbin + mun at least looking spot on, loving the shadows too! The only other major things I'd say besides getting this to work nicely on RSS is 3D hight maps for the lower cloud layers and some other cloud layers, particularly cirrus but maybe also mid hight altocumulus or altostratus too?

Low level Cumulus (<3km):

cumulus.jpg

Mid level Altocumulus (3-6km):

0802mb05.jpg

High level Cirrus (6-12km):

CirrusField-color.jpg

Btw these are cloud hights irl, which are what I'll use when I get testing this on RSS, you'll probably need to scale down for stock ksp.

I'm also beginning to think of getting/making several different 2D cloud textures to represent the different cloud layers and types with their respective global patterns

Weird-Cloud-Atlas-a-collection-of-spectacular-cloud-formations-111.jpg

SS_04-17-2014_01-45-07.png

SS_04-17-2014_01-48-12.png

Not sure if this issue has been reported- probably has looking back at some of the posts on here...

But yeah this is weird :P All in all I LOVE the look of this mod- it's gorgeous.

I can remove the weirdness by changing the height of the outer layers on Eve and Mun, but saving it removes the beautiful colour from Kerbin...

So I dunno what is up, but it's weird.

The massive majority is absolutely immense though, well done.

Does this work with the sandstorms on Duna or would it need some tweaking?

Sorry to double post!

To get it working with the Duna storms mod I had to copy/paste the Duna layers from that .cfg into the BA .cfg.

Before I did that, it seemed to be trying to load them both and it was causing weird graphical bugs.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n216/TheREALGabe/SS_04-17-2014_01-45-07.png

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n216/TheREALGabe/SS_04-17-2014_01-48-12.png

Not sure if this issue has been reported- probably has looking back at some of the posts on here...

But yeah this is weird :P All in all I LOVE the look of this mod- it's gorgeous.

I can remove the weirdness by changing the height of the outer layers on Eve and Mun, but saving it removes the beautiful colour from Kerbin...

So I dunno what is up, but it's weird.

The massive majority is absolutely immense though, well done.

That looks like a Rim bug.. I am going to just go ahead and updated the download with a fix.

Edited by Thesonicgalaxy

Sorry to double post!

To get it working with the Duna storms mod I had to copy/paste the Duna layers from that .cfg into the BA .cfg.

Before I did that, it seemed to be trying to load them both and it was causing weird graphical bugs.

D.D.S Isn't really updated per say, it still has all the default cloud layers. You would have to remove those.

Updated the download page with a hopefully working download.

Here's laythe BTW. I personally think laythe is done, unless you guys have any more suggestions?

9jsEkAU.png

You can see Laythe's Great Cyclone(I wanna name it, let's call it george). It's actually purple, but the atmosphere makes it blue.

Edited by Thesonicgalaxy

It's looking gorgeous in this latest version! The bug I was experiencing is gorn, too.

Also, I have a lovely shot of Kerbin, Kerbol, and three other planets (not sure which atm) from the surface of Mun:

SS_04-17-2014_18-46-03.png

[EDIT] Just checked- from left to right the planets are Duna, Eve, and Jool.

Edited by Hammer Tech

It's looking gorgeous in this latest version! The bug I was experiencing is gorn, too.

Also, I have a lovely shot of Kerbin, Kerbol, and three other planets (not sure which atm) from the surface of Mun:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n216/TheREALGabe/SS_04-17-2014_18-46-03.png

Glad it's working! That looks like Duna, Eve, and Jool.

Because Titan has such thick atmosphere, much of the light that hits it directly reflects producing a shine at the closest part facing sol. Most other bodies (such as venus) with extremely thick atmospheres show this.

titan_graphic.jpg

Edited by SirusKing

Because Titan has such thick atmosphere, much of the light that hits it directly reflects producing a shine at the closest part facing sol. Most other bodies with extremely thick atmospheres show this.

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/assets/science/images/titan_graphic.jpg

That actually could be possible. I need to see if i can set the cloud speed to go the right speed in the opposite direction of Laythe's rotation to where it stays in exactly the same place. I have no clue if that's possible though.

For laythe, I would like to see that haze become semi-transparent, and there to be high cirrus like clouds above the haze, with thick storm clouds below.

Edited by Spica
typo