[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

Found a pic of Zarya Hub close-by, it may be useful, I think, for making Mir hub. :)

http://cs624827.vk.me/v624827511/5036/NE4bGjfaTm8.jpg

Nice! This is the next part on the list.

Nice antenna, but does it fold? I'd really prefer it to fit inside a 2.5m fairing.

Thanks, currently no.

I will be re-doing it, after comparing it with the real one + Bobcat's Priroda, I think a folding version would be better (If you are already using the Priroda dish, don't worry, a new one shouldn't mangle any saved ships).

I'm quite sure that the body it's attached to is 1.875 meters, so from what I can see on the pic, it should fit.

This is true, it fits fine in a ~2.75m fairing, plus it is reasonably light, so there's not many issues with off-centre thrust.

But still, I think a folding form-factor would be more fun. :)

Still no ModuleScienceLab for the Kervant :(

edit: How did I not notice this before? :)

Aha! :D

About the science Lab, it has slipped my mind. Soon.

Edit: Also, the Kervant will not be getting the lab, it is the Salyut core that will have that.

New Priroda Dish!

3beda95e8e.jpg

26548f396f.jpg

Help!

When adding the science lab module to the Salyut core, it is unable to be right-clicked in-game (in fact, the whole ship is unable to be right-clicked).

Any solution to this?

Edited by Beale

When adding the science lab module to the Salyut core, it is unable to be right-clicked in-game (in fact, the whole ship is unable to be right-clicked).

Any solution to this?

try replacing

containerModuleIndex = 0

with

containerModuleIndex = 3

Seems to work for me.

Edit: Disclaimer. I have no idea what "containerModuleIndex" does and so I'm not sure if this'll break things...

Nice update! BTW, this dish - can you operate it in EVA, to mimick the real thing?

Aaaand my mouse decided it would be a great time to die. Now I'm stuck with old PS\2 thingy with broken wheel at least until tomorrow. Damn.

Thanks.

You can operate by EVA, but cannot pick it up and move it (yet).

how do you get alternate colours?

Coming very soon, just finding a handy way to mass-export.

Lovin' that Priroda dish!
awsome! 10char

Thanks! :)

Why would you want to pick it up? Moreover, it's kinda unrealistic when a 90kg green man tries to haul a 300 kg antenna :)

I believe the heaviest KAS grabbable part is the RCS tank, which is 235kg, so it's not too much a stretch :)

captainradish has kindly created a part config that allows the Soyuz Orbital module to act as a "Vostok" - I.E. Controllable.

Get it here!

Edited by Beale

captainradish has kindly created a part config that allows the Soyuz Orbital module to act as a "Vostok" - I.E. Controllable.

That being said...

eXPwzNb.jpg

PO is Hamal control block, upside down. Engine (MPR-5R) and micro-RCS are from RLA Stockalike, Tantares monoprop tanks.

PO and Sharik cannot be separated on this mock-up (there is no decoupler), and even if you add one, there is no way for Sharik to survive DRE.

To summarize: Beale, we need a proper Vostok :D

That being said...

*snip*

PO is Hamal control block, upside down. Engine (MPR-5R) and micro-RCS are from RLA Stockalike, Tantares monoprop tanks.

PO and Sharik cannot be separated on this mock-up (there is no decoupler), and even if you add one, there is no way for Sharik to survive DRE.

To summarize: Beale, we need a proper Vostok :D

Awesome!!!! :D

Come to think of it, we DO need a proper Vostok.

Three parts, sitting at the Start tech node.

Sharik: 1-man pod, weight around 1-1.2t. Design: same as Tantares orb, but with circular hatch like Alnair. CoM offset (to enable a proper ballistic reentry), DRE-capable (full surface coating). No reaction wheels (or maybe very weak, 0.1 torque or even less). Built-in parachute (Or just move Tantares parachute to the Start node. Or a new chute, based on Tantares). Small ECharge (no more than 30).

PO module: Weight around 2-2.5t. Design: look at my screenshot. Has reaction wheels and decent ECharge (around 200). Built-in LF\OX tank. Built-in Sharik decoupler on top. Can also be used as satellite bus (Vostok was designed as spy satellite platform, and was used in that capacity (as Zenit) until 1994).

PO engine: Small and very inefficient (no more than 500 m\s of dV when used with PO module - you can do some basic orbital maneuvers and braking burn, but no Mun missions).

It should be rather inexpensive, as it meant to be an alternative to Mk1 pod.

Edited by biohazard15
some thoughts about chutes

Come to think of it, we DO need a proper Vostok.

Three parts, both sitting at the Start tech node.

Sharik: 1-man pod, weight around 1-1.2t. Design: same as Tantares orb, but with circular hatch like Alnair. CoM offset (to enable a proper ballistic reentry), DRE-capable (full surface coating). No reaction wheels (or maybe very weak, 0.1 torque or even less). Built-in parachute. Small ECharge (no more than 30).

PO module: Weight around 2-2.5t. Design: look at my screenshot. Has reaction wheels and decent ECharge (around 200). Built-in LF\OX tank. Built-in Sharik decoupler on top. Can also be used as satellite bus (Vostok was designed as spy satellite platform, and was used in that capacity (as Zenit) until 1994).

PO engine: Small and very inefficient (no more than 500 m\s of dV when used with PO module - you can do some basic orbital maneuvers and braking burn, but no Mun missions).

It should be rather inexpensive, as it meant to be an alternative to Mk1 pod.

I agree! This sounds like a neat little project to do if you have time/interest Beale :D

Quick fix to add folding Priroda dish + Salyut science lab.

Enjoy :)

Feedback is appreciated!

It folding away means you can fly carefree without the risk of it blowing off.

http://i.imgur.com/DiqvrLf.png

:D time to mess around! Yeehaaaa!

And thanks Omega482 or the trick, I had the same problem when I tried to convert Kervant into the Kerbit science lab :sealed:

A follow-up on my Vostok proposal - Vostok-derived satellites:

1) Zenit - New science experiment (spy camera). Can be used only in a low orbit, supports biomes. Results cannot be taken from it on EVA and they have 0 transmission cost, so you need to recover the capsule. You get small amounts of science (about 20% of pool for the 1st time, then it gradually lowers), so you'll need multiple launches to get all the science. Part: It's basically Sharik without a cosmonaut, but with three windows for cameras. Same properties as Sharik, but has a probe core.

2) Bion - Basically it's a container for other science experiments - just like your Alnair cargo block, Science Container from Universal Storage, or large science lab with cargo bays from Taurus HCV mod. Pack it with experiments, launch to orbit, do your science, land and recover. Same properties as Sharik and Zenit, but it's somewhat lighter (And it might be slightly larger, to fit Mystery Goo container). Has sliding doors (or hatch like the one from Spica CV fairing) and inside light. DRE and FAR\NEAR-capable (i.e. it shields contents).

Both parts should be located fairly early in tech tree (Basic Rocketry is the best choice).

Edited by biohazard15