• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

2 hours ago, lo-fi said:

Thanks everyone. 

Building a jet engine out of a truck turbo, spanner. About the only thing keeping me sane... 

Bloody great fun, all from google found info , did one from Cat 3208 turbo, hope you have tolerant neighbors or ones you hate, (outrageously loud when run in the garden, didn't sound half that bad in the shipyard rofls)   and if you hate them try a pulse jet (easier to make but harder to start) ,  and  if it doesnt make you giggle like a lunatic you aint right .

2 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

Strange idea: What if you make wheels that are actually just engines that only work on the ground and have strange friction things to make them not blow up off of jumps?

optimus-prime-facepalm.jpg?w=321

Pm Sent for .90 request

Edited by V8jester

9 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Bloody great fun, all from google found info , did one from Cat 3208 turbo, hope you have tolerant neighbors or ones you hate, (outrageously loud when run in the garden, didn't sound half that bad in the shipyard rofls)   and if you hate them try a pulse jet (easier to make but harder to start) ,  and  if it doesnt make you giggle like a lunatic you aint right .

Look up the lunatic Colin Furze on YouTube. How he hasn't killed himself, I do not know.

Take a break if you have to, Lo-Fi.  I'm sure most of us can understand, and those who can't understand the frustration, well, my advice to them is to try it themselves.

To be fair, 1.2 seems to have fixed a lot of the wheel issues from 1.1, although... It has other issues.  Namely, performance.  Sure, I want this mod back, but that's why I've kept 1.0.5, because it's before they broke the wheel system.

And while it pales in comparison to the work you're having to do to the mod to fix the completely crap-tastic mess that is the 1.1+ wheel system, I've taken up a personal journey in 1.0.5 to convert as many of the wheels there as I can to KF compatible.  Which is also a bit of a head-scratcher, though I've managed a couple so far.  It's actually giving me a mild insight into the difficulty of modding, although nowhere near as terrifyingly difficult as this has to be.

Though I'll admit, it does bug me a bit that people keep begging for it to be fixed, because I know that can be demoralizing.  Give Lo-Fi and company a break, because this is a result of everyone begging for Unity 5.  Well, you've got Unity 5.  Enjoy that.  You were warned it'd break all the wheel mods, and yet you still wanted Unity 5 because 64-bit.  Well, how's that working for ya?  All the RAM in the world, and not a wheel to roll on.

Hi lo-fi, if you would like more help, I would be happy to help. I don't know much about unity plugins, but I am eager to learn. Maybe having someone who is "greener" could help with ideas and code, whenever I get stuck on a project at work, I like to bounce ideas off of someone who doesn't know as much about the project. I find that, since they have never been told what "cant' be done, they tend to come up with ideas that I wouldn't think of.

And if you need a break, take one, I understand how it feels to be so fed up with something that you want to quit.

I hope all goes well for you, whether you continue on this or move on.

20 hours ago, rigb said:

have an 1.1 version?

tumblr_nuyl0wroCj1sntjsso1_400.gif

@TARDISES beat me to it, but have another one for good measure..

@V8jester, that's awesome as ever. IR rework being put to good use, I see :) 

I'm not really sure how much help anyone can be, unless they've got some magic bits of knowledge about the inner workings of KSP, and why vectors don't work like they do in plain old Unity...

Y'know what would be great? If SQUAD used the KF wheel physics instead of the current ones. They could make some small modifications for friction control and the like, but the base system would be the same. SQUAD, if you're reading this, make it a thing

On 22/10/2016 at 10:31 PM, Fireheart318 said:

Strange idea: What if you make wheels that are actually just engines that only work on the ground and have strange friction things to make them not blow up off of jumps?

The "strange friction things" are essentially what is missing at the moment. Wheels are "just engines" in the sense that they exert a force.

1 hour ago, Fireheart318 said:

Y'know what would be great? If SQUAD used the KF wheel physics instead of the current ones

There is a slight problem there in that the KF wheel physics don't work at all yet. Given that the current stock wheels are ropey but somewhat functional, some might see that as a step backwards.

10 hours ago, lo-fi said:

I'm not really sure how much help anyone can be, unless they've got some magic bits of knowledge about the inner workings of KSP, and why vectors don't work like they do in plain old Unity.

If you elaborate on this, we might be able to figure it out

Hi there all,

I've been wondering is there any way to extract antigrav module and implement to 1.2v?

Nowadays I'm using TCA to hover a craft, but sometimes its broken. Still with antigrav there shouldn't be any major collision between surface and the part. Maybe something like capsule collider will do, which can be stretch with surface friction = 0 and bouncing effect... for repulsor effect, plus some particles effects. It's still very simple idea, need to take many variables like vehicle weight, power consumption. I was doing stuff in Unity but never to KSP so... notice me senpai.

1 hour ago, somtaawkith said:

Hi there all,

I've been wondering is there any way to extract antigrav module and implement to 1.2v?

Nowadays I'm using TCA to hover a craft, but sometimes its broken. Still with antigrav there shouldn't be any major collision between surface and the part. Maybe something like capsule collider will do, which can be stretch with surface friction = 0 and bouncing effect... for repulsor effect, plus some particles effects. It's still very simple idea, need to take many variables like vehicle weight, power consumption. I was doing stuff in Unity but never to KSP so... notice me senpai.

To make a long story short -- no, won't work.

To make a short story long -- repulsors will likely be the first bit of the wheels that will be working if/when we get a few other issues sorted out.  As they don't rely on friction they won't be subject to many of the outstanding unsolved problems.

To fill in the medium-term details -- still likely a few weeks/months away from having -anything- usable.  This thread will be the first place to have information regarding updates/developments posted, so be patient and check back every few weeks.

15 hours ago, xEvilReeperx said:

If you elaborate on this, we might be able to figure it out

Basically we have a solution using ConfigurableJoints that works fine in the Unity editor.  As soon as we put it into KSP though everything goes wonky.  It is as if the joint anchor positions/directions/constraints are not lining up with what they should -- the joints seem to be wanting to rotate things and imparting forces that they simply shouldn't given the anchor and axis vectors specified.  I have a theory that this is due to KSPs seemingly random reference frame (e.g. Vector3.up != -gravity vector, and even the gravity vector is inconsistent in direction), but as I can't get the simplest of joints to work for me I have been unable to dig into it any deeper.

The code in question is available here: https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/tree/dev2 

Sadly I not have anything that is an easy drop-in for testing....

1 hour ago, Shadowmage said:

I have a theory that this is due to KSPs seemingly random reference frame (e.g. Vector3.up != -gravity vector, and even the gravity vector is inconsistent in direction), but as I can't get the simplest of joints to work for me I have been unable to dig into it any deeper.

Move your test rig onto the north pole and test it there. If it suddenly seems to work, your issue is just a confusion of coordinate spaces. On Kerbin at the launchpad, you're actually positioned on the equator of a sphere with the camera rotated to make it look like you're on a flat surface

Visualization:

a5ba2a6b7f.png

The game uses the planet as a reference frame here so your up direction isn't constantly changing like you might expect (as the planet spins) but what direction in worldspace "up" is will vary based on your position on the planet. You can probably figure out just from this image why I suggest testing at the north pole

14 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Basically we have a solution using ConfigurableJoints that works fine in the Unity editor.  As soon as we put it into KSP though everything goes wonky.  It is as if the joint anchor positions/directions/constraints are not lining up with what they should -- the joints seem to be wanting to rotate things and imparting forces that they simply shouldn't given the anchor and axis vectors specified.  I have a theory that this is due to KSPs seemingly random reference frame (e.g. Vector3.up != -gravity vector, and even the gravity vector is inconsistent in direction), but as I can't get the simplest of joints to work for me I have been unable to dig into it any deeper.

The code in question is available here: https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/tree/dev2 

Sadly I not have anything that is an easy drop-in for testing....

@Shadowmage

I looked into your Partmodule code:

You should use <part.transform.up> instead of <Vector3.up>. The surface reference "up" is defined as: <-vessel.mainBody.position.normalized>.

@lo-fi how long ago did you make the 1.0.x version, and your still schooling me? :)

I seriously just figured out last night I can use the wheel groups to allow me to build a tight turning vehicle with a trailer with seperate suspension setups. In this case I built two mobile cranes with a trailer boom support. One of the builds was using an uncontrolled Rotatron so the boom would swing free behind the vehicle. I can't believe I missed this until now!

Edited by V8jester

2 hours ago, Ger_space said:

@Shadowmage

I looked into your Partmodule code:

You should use <part.transform.up> instead of <Vector3.up>. The surface reference "up" is defined as: <-vessel.mainBody.position.normalized>.

Indeed; the only place where raw vectors are used is:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/blob/dev2/VSProject/KSPWheel/Component/KSPWheelCollider.cs#L230-L232

and I -think- that the anchors are setup in local space, where that is correct.

Unless you saw something I missed in there somewhere?

32 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Indeed; the only place where raw vectors are used is:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/blob/dev2/VSProject/KSPWheel/Component/KSPWheelCollider.cs#L230-L232

and I -think- that the anchors are setup in local space, where that is correct.

Unless you saw something I missed in there somewhere?

I saw it here: https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/blob/master/VSProject/KSPWheel/PartModule/KSPWheelModule.cs for the steering and damper setup.

6 minutes ago, Ger_space said:

Ahh... you are looking wrong branch :)  That is the physics based branch, which actually worked fine aside from some jittering in specific cases.

The joint-based setup, that has the problems, can be found at the 'dev2' or 'Lo-fi' branches (mostly the same code in each, just different methods of getting it into KSP).  ( https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/tree/dev2/VSProject/KSPWheel )