[1.2] USI Survivability Pack (Formerly DERP) [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

Sooooo... I just slammed Jeb into Kerbin to his death... Could you maybe update the first post so that it doesn't say parachute included...? I see now that it has been discussed in forum posts, but I've looked three times now and don't see it on the original post. Would be helpful.

Thanks for the awesome mods!

RC4

With the latest Deadly Reentry, a lot of exceptions will be thrown if the Life Boat is used. Removing the DRE.cfg will fix this issue.

I also made an issue on the GitHub page.

If you just want radial attachment, it should be as simple as installing the v0.3.1 version as normal and replacing the attachRules line in PodEngine.cfg with this:

attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

The engine won't decouple when it is radially attached.

Edited by BlackSoldierB

• 2 weeks later...

Request: Would it be possible to add deployable airbags to the pod please?

Story:

I was playing with this over the weekend, only once did the pod survive landing without parachutes. I ended up putting a mk1 parachute between the engine and the pod and squishing them so only a little bit of the parachute was visible. (stock not realchutes)

1st attempt: I tried to de-orbit from 100 km up around kerbin, ran out of fuel with a peri of 71 km.

2nd attempt: De-orbit got me to 55km (I decoupled facing retrograde to get extra DV), Jeb died the pod hit doing 80m/s.

3rd attempt: Parachute deployed, Jeb landed safely.

4th attempt: De-orbit going prograde, got to 60km up. Aero braking got Jeb into the thick atmosphere after 3 orbits. Didn't deploy the parachute, no roll / pitch authority pod bounced on impact and then blew up on the second hit.

5th attempt: Rocket flipped, at 40 km up, I hit abort and 2 of my three Kerbs got into the pods, franticly right clicking the un-inflated pod on a spinning ship I got all three into the pods. 2 chutes deployed, the third didn't and splatted into the sea.

6th attempt: Realising that if you attach them from the subassembly only the first to attach has the action groups enabled. I managed to evacuate mid flight and gently parachute down to a soft sea landing.

7th attempt: Ran out of fuel at 70km up.

8th attempt: Added a monoprop generator to the config file, and the chute promptly pulled the pod off the engine, the engine landed safely.

So, I'm currently trying to add more drag and lift to the pod so that it glides to kerbin landing at a safe bounce altitude, but I think it needs a bouncy landing as well.

EDIT:

I changed the config so that it had a 1 lift, and 10 off angle drag, and a crash rating for 200. It now flies and lands perfectly. Keep it around -15 degrees and it works. However autorecovery will say that any pods launched at the same time crashed and died. :(

Edited by genericeventhandler
More Info

Sooooo... I just slammed Jeb into Kerbin to his death... Could you maybe update the first post so that it doesn't say parachute included...? I see now that it has been discussed in forum posts, but I've looked three times now and don't see it on the original post. Would be helpful.

Thanks for the awesome mods!

RC4

This - I was just checking this thread to work out what was going on with the DERP I was using. I'd seen the lifting surface property though so I've glided it down safely - but I did have a moment of horror! xD

• 2 weeks later...
Um...so how do you activate the chute? I didn't see it in the right click menu. Thankfully with the new wings you added I was actually able to glide it in for a safe landing after skipping across the water a bit!

There is no chute; it was removed and replaced with wings.

I've tried the airbags with realism overhaul + real solar system: from 50m high, dropping core with 4 medium airbags resulted in the airbags overheating and exploding when touching down, shooting the probe out with 200m/s speed. I'd say it doesn't work :/ Too bad, wanted to use for high-g unmanned supply missions.

Um...so how do you activate the chute? I didn't see it in the right click menu. Thankfully with the new wings you added I was actually able to glide it in for a safe landing after skipping across the water a bit!

As hab136 mentioned, the chute is gone. Your confusion is understandable, as the first post explicitly states in three places in the text as well as in the image that there is a parachute. Although the changelog in the first post doesn't reflect it, it was deprecated on May 15th, 2015 in version 0.3.1 (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84359-1-0-2-USI-Survivability-Pack-%28Formerly-DERP%29-v0-3-1-2015-05-15?p=1925909&viewfull=1#post1925909). It would probably be helpful and cut down on confusion if the OP would put a notice on the first post that the chute is no longer present, or at least remove the explicit references to a feature that no longer exists.

There is no chute; it was removed and replaced with wings.
As hab136 mentioned, the chute is gone. Your confusion is understandable, as the first post explicitly states in three places in the text as well as in the image that there is a parachute. Although the changelog in the first post doesn't reflect it, it was deprecated on May 15th, 2015 in version 0.3.1 (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84359-1-0-2-USI-Survivability-Pack-%28Formerly-DERP%29-v0-3-1-2015-05-15?p=1925909&viewfull=1#post1925909). It would probably be helpful and cut down on confusion if the OP would put a notice on the first post that the chute is no longer present, or at least remove the explicit references to a feature that no longer exists.

As noted, I saw the new wings and managed a water landing with them...but that doesn't explain why the chute was removed nor that I'd like to do that risky water landing every time. I did see a few posts asking about it, but didn't see an answer from RoverDude.

It's not like this thing has landing gear or much in the way of thrust. The model still has a chute on the bottom of the engine module, and what kind of escape module wouldn't have a chute?! Just one of a number of instances where I think why did you change this? It needed no improvement! :/

Hi everyone,

I got some kind of a problem with the Survivability Pack.

Having enough to unnecessarily spoil my resources along rescues or recovery in orbit contracts I created a launcher totaly recoverable, the result is a kind of hideous mix between Atlas V and Falcon 9... the trouble comes from that each landing tries of the main stage ended in a failure, and always the same : the landing is between 0.5 to 1.5 m/s but (unless the surface is perfectly flat) once on the ground the stage always shifts to side of the slope... first try was with two pairs of large landing legs and then up to eight but none of them ensure an adequate stability .

Suffice to say that the Umbra Space airbags were a true blessing for me when I discovered them yesterday. I downloaded and installed version 0.3.1 at many times but none of the items appear in the selection window. How could this be explained ? I also use the Warp Drive from USI since a while and it works perfectly.

I still play with 1.0.2.

Thank you in advance

i see you have CTT, do you have the appropriate nodes unlocked?

It was one of the first step I make after having this 'problem' (having issues with it by the past), but all the nodes are unlocked.

Also please confirm if this is sandbox or career, and if the latter, try a sandbox save.

It is in career mod, but after creating a sandbox all your items were here indeed... I should have create one before.

As answered to goldenpsp all my nodes are unlocked, is there a solution to got the Survivability Pack in the career ?

It was one of the first step I make after having this 'problem' (having issues with it by the past), but all the nodes are unlocked.

It is in career mod, but after creating a sandbox all your items were here indeed... I should have create one before.

As answered to goldenpsp all my nodes are unlocked, is there a solution to got the Survivability Pack in the career ?

If you are using CTT are you using the default CTT config? I recall having an issue a long time ago where I had CTT installed but was not using the standard CTT config so stuff did not show up.

Also did you verify even if you have the nods unlocked that the parts are as well. I don't know if it still happens but in the past if I added parts mid stream I would have to go into the nodes and unlock the individual parts even though i had previous unlocked the nodes.

You should be right, the fact is I can't remember if I download a CTT or using the original instead (have stopped to play KSP for nearly a year)...

Reading to Survivabilty Pack CTT.cfg it said we need "enhancedSurvivability" to unlock all the parts but I don't find it in my Tech Tree cfg. Pretty strange ?

You should be right, the fact is I can't remember if I download a CTT or using the original instead (have stopped to play KSP for nearly a year)...

Reading to Survivabilty Pack CTT.cfg it said we need "enhancedSurvivability" to unlock all the parts but I don't find it in my Tech Tree cfg. Pretty strange ?

Well I said that because you have CTT in your screenshot of mods.