[1.2] USI Survivability Pack (Formerly DERP) [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

So Im looking for a little guidance on how to use this thing. I have FAR and RealChutes installed, and Im noting that my DERP doesnt have an appreciable speed difference on deploying the chute fully. The partially deployed chute slows me down to about 140 m/s... and on fully deploying, I stay at about that speed. Needless to say, this has had some negative effects on crew morale.

Is this due to using FAR or RealChutes? What other information might help identify the issue? Cheers guys.

Is there a surface mount inflatable airlock that can be attached via KIS and is CLS passable?  The problem with the UKS Kerbitrail Docking port is that it has a KIS volume of ~800 liters, way too large to fit into a kerbal's back pocket.  The stock docking port Jr is small enough and can be surface attached, but is not CLS passable for the rescued kerbal to EVA.

What I'm thinking of is a surface mounted version of the DERP Inflatable Escape Pod, except that it would start off stowed and would only act as an airlock for whatever it is attached to.  Attach it, inflate it, and now the kerbal inside the part can EVA.

(Some of my rescue contracts are putting kerbals up in parts that have no EVA hatch.)

13 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Check out the airlock in MKS Lite

I've looked at the MK-V Airlock and it's too big for this particular purpose with a KIS volume of 1250 liters (a kerbal's inventory can only hold 300 liters).  That also makes it too big for the KIS SC-62 container which can be used like a backpack during EVA by the kerbal.  It's also not surface attachable.

I've also looked at the UKS Kerbitrail Docking Port, at 800L, it's small enough to fit in the SC-62.  I'll have to experiment with that for rescues.

So in addition to my parachute not working, Im having some issues with airbags. I have a contract mission to deorbit my station in LKO. Problem. The station was never designed to be deorbited, so I either accept it and blow the whole thing up, or I go with option 2, use KIS to make it have some basic ability to reenter. If I give it a steep reentry, it wont get enough time to heat up, and it will be unmanned, so G forces wont be an issue to kerbals - although possibly to the station. I figure air pressure will slow it down sufficiently to allow parachutes to work, and then I can use airbags to hopefully cushion the impact.

Ive sent up a krew retrieval ship, normally designed for crew rotations but this time, loaded up with radial airbags in KIS storage. And I am discovering that the radial airbags do not work precisely as intended. In this case, attaching the first airbag results in the airbag disappearing, presumably inside the craft. Attaching a second one elsewhere results in the airbag blowing up, and sometimes the part it was being attached to blowing up as well.

Unfortunately, I was hoping to recover the ship in one piece, rather than several, and I was going to need the airbags, in order to recover it at all. So having them break the ship up, without actually working, makes it a problem for me. I have loaded a save from prior to the inadvertent destruction of the station, but at present Im not sure how else I can attach the silly things. Any help/advice?

Also WRT the DERP parachute, is there possibly some kind of MM patch I could make to let it work with FAR?

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, blu3wolf said:

Also WRT the DERP parachute, is there possibly some kind of MM patch I could make to let it work with FAR?

Perhaps use MM to turn it into a RealChute, which then should work with FAR?

I just tried making a RC patch too, based on the patches bundled with RC, and it's sort of working... I had one successful deployment/landing, but I've had some jenkyness too, like one time the staging icon didn't have the chute icon, and then after launch my DERP pod rocket sort of disintegrated, and the camera focus went off the rocket altogether... Maybe someone better at MM magic could have a look:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fffopyh9eliufiq/DERP_RealCute_patch.cfg?dl=0

(testing without FAR BTW)

@RoverDude Have you considered doing a balance pass on some parts in your mods? I have DERP and the exploration pack install and some of the numbers on the AES parts seem out of place compared to the DERP parts.

The ones that I noticed in particular were the Monoprop parts. The AES tanks are fairly big compared to the DERP tanks, yet they hold quite a bit less then the DERP parts. (I know relative size doesn't mean too much in KSP - mass is the major factor - but still...) The AES tanks I think hold 12 MP while the DERP parts hold 12 (this one has the engine in it) to 20 (sub-0.625 inline tank). The radial MP tank I think holds 16 MP?

Actually, I've been eyeing the DERP parts as effective "drop-pods" for small probes/landers (even crewed landers). Haven't gotten that far yet since I'm using RemoteTech (no comms constellation up yet), but I'm thinking of using the DERP parts to land my Munar Surface Relay Station. (Since the Mun is tidally locked to Kerbin, I just plant a comm relay on the near side and have it link up with my Kerbin comms network. Cuts down on the number of dishes I need on my Munar satellite network, simplifying their design, since they just link to each other and the surface relay.)

I must admit I love all your small parts mods.

@RoverDude, something that I've noticed missing is the ability to decouple everything underneath the inflatable pod. I expected that I'll just dump the whole service ring before entry.

However, yes, they survive the heat of reentry.

Also, unfortunately I haven't been able to cram an entire Munar Escape System (pod, ring, two panels, inline engine, two radial tanks) into a single "stock" KIS/KAS container; I'll have to carry the deflated pods externally. It seems that the pod part itself may be a bit too big. Also, the process of mounting the tank to the engine might send the vehicle being built into low orbit, but that's normal for KSP.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

@RoverDude, something that I've noticed missing is the ability to decouple everything underneath the inflatable pod. I expected that I'll just dump the whole service ring before entry.

However, yes, they survive the heat of reentry.

Also, unfortunately I haven't been able to cram an entire Munar Escape System (pod, ring, two panels, inline engine, two radial tanks) into a single "stock" KIS/KAS container; I'll have to carry the deflated pods externally. It seems that the pod part itself may be a bit too big. Also, the process of mounting the tank to the engine might send the vehicle being built into low orbit, but that's normal for KSP.

KIS/KAS uses the inflated volume for storage. You can manually override those in a MM config file. I'll try to remind myself to post one tonight when I get home.

I wonder if you could just put the service ring on upside-down? That way it's decoupler would remove the service ring from the pod, but the landing legs would be pointing upwards that way lol. That being said, I've had no problems with reentry with the service ring still attached, and it generally means I can use engines to lower my eccentricity just before re-entry with the last of my fuel for a softer entry.

And I agree on the KIS volume, it is an inflatable pod after all!

1 hour ago, Rodger said:

I wonder if you could just put the service ring on upside-down? That way it's decoupler would remove the service ring from the pod, but the landing legs would be pointing upwards that way lol. That being said, I've had no problems with reentry with the service ring still attached, and it generally means I can use engines to lower my eccentricity just before re-entry with the last of my fuel for a softer entry.

And I agree on the KIS volume, it is an inflatable pod after all!

I did the same for the ISM, greenhouse and Hab ring, I bolted my mun stations together in orbit, and gave them the same (uninflated) volume as the structural tube thing with the ladders on it.

This will override the volume for the inflatable station parts to a comparable regular item:

// Module Manager configuration to override the KIS volume for USI inflatables.

@PART[OKS_Storage_ILM|OKS_HabRing|OKS_AgModule]:NEEDS[KIS]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKISItem
		volumeOverride = 29875
		stackable = false
		editorItemsCategory = false
	}
}

You can make something similar for the DERP capsule. Just have a look for something comparable in the VAB, drop it into a KAS container and make a config like this.

Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Snarfster said:

This will override the volume for the inflatable station parts to a comparable regular item:

// Module Manager configuration to override the KIS volume for USI inflatables.

@PART[OKS_Storage_ILM|OKS_HabRing|OKS_AgModule]:NEEDS[KIS]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKISItem
		volumeOverride = 29875
		stackable = false
		editorItemsCategory = false
	}
}

You can make something similar for the DERP capsule. Just have a look for something comparable in the VAB, drop it into a KAS container and make a config like this.

Enjoy!

From what I can see, the Mk V MKS parts already have these overrides. Just FYI, because I went to check.

2 hours ago, DDE said:

From what I can see, the Mk V MKS parts already have these overrides. Just FYI, because I went to check.

Hmm, maybe, I didn't check those. These parts didn't in the last release. (At least, the one I have, can't check version now, but it should be the latest). ;)

I think the DERP parts come way to early in the tech tree.
I moved them up into a different tech level because it feels like cheating. 

@PART[DERP_*]:AFTER[CommunityTechTree]
{
	@TechRequired = enhancedSurvivability
}

@PART[DERP_Engine_*]:AFTER[CommunityTechTree]
{
	@TechRequired = propulsionSystems
}

@PART[DERP_FuelCan|DERP_InlineTank]:AFTER[CommunityTechTree]
{
	@TechRequired = advFlightControl
}