[1.2] USI Survivability Pack (Formerly DERP) [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

15 minutes ago, JoeNapalm said:

Okay, maybe I just need more coffee, but the download catalog link just takes me back to the forums.

Is the one one Github the latest and greatest? It says 1.0.4?

-Jn-

Try CKAN it works best with downloading mods and keeping them updated. Plus the recommend a lot of stuf.

But yeah the link is broken. It is supposed to refer to this http://bobpalmer.github.io/UmbraSpaceIndustries/ (On which you find the link to github download)

Also the inline monopropellant tank has only 1 Attachment node so I can't make a stack!

Edited by mellester

3 minutes ago, mellester said:

Try CKAN it works best with downloading mods and keeping them updated. Plus the recommend a lot of stuf.

But yeah the link is broken. It is supposed to refer to this http://bobpalmer.github.io/UmbraSpaceIndustries/ (On which you find the link to github download)

Also the inline monopropellant tank has only 1 Attachment node so I can't make a stack!

OH SNAP (ducks).

26 minutes ago, mellester said:

No.  CKAN is a support issue spawner.  It is the least reliable way to get my mods right now.  Github is always the latest.  KerbalStuff is updated automatically as well in cases where I have the mod up there.

9 hours ago, RoverDude said:

No.  CKAN is a support issue spawner.  It is the least reliable way to get my mods right now.  Github is always the latest.  KerbalStuff is updated automatically as well in cases where I have the mod up there.

Thanks.

I'm pretty particular about what mods I use, and I absolutely love your stuff.

-Jn-

On 1/15/2016 at 11:37 AM, mellester said:

That was the link I was looking for as well...I went to Github and got the latest.

Commander Zeta

On 1/15/2016 at 11:37 AM, mellester said:

That inline tank is not supposed to stack, it sits inside of the small cage meant for it.  If you want to stack just use the stock 0.625m one.

On 1/2/2016 at 4:36 AM, Rodger said:

I just tried making a RC patch too, based on the patches bundled with RC, and it's sort of working... I had one successful deployment/landing, but I've had some jenkyness too, like one time the staging icon didn't have the chute icon, and then after launch my DERP pod rocket sort of disintegrated, and the camera focus went off the rocket altogether... Maybe someone better at MM magic could have a look:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fffopyh9eliufiq/DERP_RealCute_patch.cfg?dl=0

(testing without FAR BTW)

On 1/3/2016 at 8:49 PM, blu3wolf said:

Im having a look at your patch now, I think we can all agree that the DERP is 'RealCute'...

I am curious, did you guys get anywhere with this? I love the DERP idea, but I can't use it because I use FAR and my DERPs are more pothole makers than survival vehicles. I haven't the faintest clue how to make an MM patch though. For now, I'm relegating my DERPs to orbital only operations (a life pod to float around in until I can launch a rescue vehicle).

Edited by kananesgi

I've been using pretty much that same patch without problems, only without FAR. Since I uploaded that RealCute patch I've just adjusted the mass so it's the same as the vanilla DERP pod, updated version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvobpccxfjvgrto/DERP_RealChute_patch.cfg?dl=0

It's just using the stock RC drogue texture at the moment, but I wonder if there's a way to set the chute canopy texture to the DERP one, does anyone know?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

There would be no value to adding a non-stock IVA to what is essentially an almost empty pod with no windows.  So nope, no plans.

Didn't think so. Just wanted to ask... :P

The airbags also work wonderfully when shoved (clipped and hidden) inside of a heat shield.  I do a lot of semi-automated return pods (using Smart Parts) and the airbags get deployed at 1km (along with the final parachute).  Toss a few large airbags  on the bottom, plus a few mediums along the sides of the pod and landing in rough terrain is nice and easy.  Even steep mountainsides where an unadorned pod without airbags would just roll forever.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2016 at 3:49 PM, mellester said:

I think the DERP parts come way to early in the tech tree.
I moved them up into a different tech level because it feels like cheating. 

The DERP solar panels feel particularly OP I've been pretty much using them exclusively for my satellites and even my initial station

Yeah, but they are available a couple of tech levels earlier, IIRC.  So they allow you to build long-term satellites and stations earlier in the game.

Not sure how big a problem that is, but I do remember when starting my latest play-though it meant I could start doing things like ScanSat scanning much earlier than I'd have been able to otherwise.

15 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Ok, so not an OP issue but rather a tech tree placement issue.  Toss up a github issue :)

this might be the solution, I find it extremely useful and ends up in all of my satellites because I was able to get to it early, it includes batteries, and is retractable. Comparing it to the OX-stat, it has 4 times the mass, costs a little bit more than 4 times but it includes the battery and is retractable, so right now is the best choice.

@RoverDude Greetings - huge fan of your work, I use pretty much all your mods, but far and away, I love the little DERP pod the most. In fact, I just finished "customizing" the entire DERP product line (not that it wasn't already great before, I just like fiddling). Anyway, a few things:

• What determines which resources "ModuleStoredResource" will accept(I'm assuming that's a custom module of your's, from the Lifeboat.dll as I've seen it no where else)? It will accept Xenon Gas for example, but not Food/Water/Oxygen, which is surprising. If you're open to suggestions, maybe let that be something customizable or worst case, you could peg it to CRP. I could understand if the flow/transfer settings came into play (I also tried Ablator for example), but, well, you get the idea.
  • How does the "LifeBoat" module work exactly? We a have "dampenFactor" and "dampenSpeed"...is that just a general velocity/ dampener (as the second name would suggest)?
  • A suggestion: Connected Living Spaces compatibility to better enable crew transfers (although if your pod works anything like a "deployableHabRestrictor" there could be an issue without an initial crew capacity value)
  • And lastly, I noticed you gave the DERP Pod a "ModuleAblator" (ablativeResource = Ablator), but never actually gave it the Resouce Ablator. I thought maybe you added it in a MM patch, but couldn't find any. You do have a DRE patch, and looking in there I see you giving "ModuleHeatShield" and Resource AblativeShielding to a certain "USI_PodCapsule" (specifically FOR[SrvPack]). The only pod in the SrvPack, the DERP Pod, is part name "DERP_POD."

On the last point, I just want to say I am pretty new to reading configs and patches and such, so I could well be misreading the entire thing. Either way, thanks a ton for all the content you provide and the work you've done.:)

Cheers.