[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

I'm baffled by karbonite. I have the latest version and have it installed with KSP 0.24.

I landed a module with a karbonite generator, two karbonite drills, a half-full karbonite tank, and a few 1k batteries on Munmis (in a karbonite hotspot). I can't for the life of me get the drills to actually get karbonite. I've deployed/enabled drilling and tried with the generator both on and off. Time warping (with the generator on) just destroys my reservoir of karbonite that I landed with.

Does the generator use karbonite infinitely faster than the drills mine it? I would think that the drills should be faster, since I would guess that karbonite is an efficient combustible resource, and thus would be capable of producing more energy than it takes to extract. I've tried peering through the forum here, but at 213 pages it's starting to make War and Peace look like a short story.

Important: Is that 0.24 or 0.24.2?

Also show me a pic of your craft

Hi,

Question about using this mod with the Tech Manager Mod that does tech trees. using the tree.cfg from insterstellar, i see all the interstellar parts, but the karbonite parts don't seem to appear anywhere. Has anyone tried karbonite using tech manager to load trees like the interstellar mod uses?

Of course, if you stick the mod into the right gamedata folder, things get a lot better :cool:. Clearly I have too many clones of my ksp folder.

Edited by DaveS

I've run into an issue extracting Karbonite. When I click to start extraction my tanks are instantly filled. The repro is:

• Start extraction (tanks slowly fill)
  • Stop extraction (tanks stop filling)
  • Wait a while (tanks stay where they were)
  • Start extraction (tanks instantly fill)

I think the trouble is in ORSX_ModuleResourceExtraction. The lastUpdateTime isn't being changed when the part isn't enabled, so when you re-enable it there's a huge deltaTime from the last time it was stopped. Adding a call to ResetLastUpdateTime() in startResourceExtraction() fixed it for me.

If there's a better place to send bugs/fixes, just let me know.

Exactly what do I need to detect Karbonite. Besides my regular SCANSat equipment, do I have to bring anything special to be able to detect Karbonite?

I always bring anything with "SCANSat" in the extra/more info window on my scanner type probes just so I can be guaranteed to get every last bit of mapping done.

Exactly what do I need to detect Karbonite. Besides my regular SCANSat equipment, do I have to bring anything special to be able to detect Karbonite?

If SCANsat is installed, the Karbonite Detection Array will have SCANsat functionality for detecting Karbonite. "Start resource scan" on the Karbonite sensor, then go into SCANsat settings and set the resource overlay to Karbonite.

Roverdude, no clue if this has been addressed before but without any messing about on my part, your radial karbonite tanks (possibly others) have tweakscaleability. However the amount of Karbonite doesn't scale with the size. Video here. http://www.twitch.tv/ual002/c/5545751

I may have deleted the Tweakscale config for Karbonite. Standby.

Yep that did it. Uh, let that be a lesson to everybody or something.

Edited by UAL002

This as an issue much earlier in the thread and I haven't been able to find any other instances of it other than this thread and a Reddit post linking to those posts. I started using OpenGL to render because 32bit KSP was basically unplayable for me due to eventual lack of memory. OpenGL worked like a charm I could play for hours and I had to actually exit the game manually when I was done playing rather than rage quitting after the fifth crash. Which was great because I hadn't been able to do that in a long long time.

Anyways, I realize that I foolishly only installed Karbonite+ when I didn't have any of the standard parts, so I installed regular Karbonite and for some reason it and OpenGL are causing the game to behave very oddly. It doesn't crash, not formally anyway. I'll load up the OpenGL client and it'll flash between black fullscreen and my desktop for 15-20 seconds. After that it starts to load normally. It finishes loading the assets and when it gets to loading DLLs the screen goes to black and is replaced with a frozen image of the initial start up Squad logo/loading bar.

However it's still loading, but for some reason at this point the game refuses to operate in fullscreen and defaults to windowed mode. It can run in windowed mode without obvious issues, but trying to set it back to full screen hangs KSP indefinitely.

Summary:

32bit KSP with OpenGL cannot run in fullscreen with Karbonite installed.

32bit KSP without OpenGL can run in fullscreen with Karbonite installed.

32bit OpenGL can run fine without Karbonite, with everything from RoverDude's collection of mods minus Karbonite.

I don't know if the Karbonite.dll is conflicting with something else but only in OpenGL or what. I'm going to try running a fresh install of KSP with Karbonite and only Karbonite to see if it's still occurring.

There's nothing in Karbonite or any of my mods that would cause that. It's going to be either an issue with your install, or an issue with KSP.

You're right RD, sorry about that. It was the OpenGL is working fine one day and is broken the next for no apparent reason bug. Having installed Karbonite the night before threw me off. For anyone else that encounters this issue I fixed it with NumberNegative's solution.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99891-OpenGL-suddenly-stopped-working?p=1545772&viewfull=1#post1545772

For whatever reason if having OpenGL turned on for KSP is causing it not run correctly in fullscreen, try setting the compatibility mode in the ksp.exe's settings to Windows 7 regardless of whether or not you're already using Windows 7 natively.

Edited by SwissArmyKnife
Double post

What needs were these? Just trying to sort out gameplay mechanics vs. what looks like a bad install

OK, so, you were helping me out several months ago, but then real life caught up[ with me. I apologize for vanishing into thin air. I appreciate the help you had given me up to that point.

In short, you helped me realize that I had my software improperly installed.

To answer your question above: I'm wanting to set up a refining station in orbit of Kerban, Eve, and Jool, and use atmosphere skimmers to collect Karbonite to be delivered to the refinery. The current setup seems to require too much attention, too many passes to be successful. I'm also working on a Karbonite floater, to splash down in the oceans of Lathe, but to get from there back to Jool orbit with a full tank seems nearly impossible.

My quest continues.

EDIT: Apparently, the out-atmo scoop works much better. I can simply set it in an orbit, and leave it to it's own devices. Since Jool's atmo has a height of 138K, the scoop should be effective anywhere from 138K to 151K, right?

As an added bonus, it seems to work even when the swooper isn't the active ship. Damn, you made a good mod.

Edited by jgzman

I have an issue with collecting Karbonite on Eve. I originally made a rover with the oceanic extractor which didn't work in the oceans of Kerbin or Eve. Then I replaced it with the ventral drill which was able to extract Karbonite when I tested it in the ocean on Kerbin but not on Eve. Help please!

Good Day,

Love this mod :P

I just have one annoyance and I hope you can help. When I am in the orbital map view I have 2 overlays over planets. One is "Resource Info" from Kethane I suspect and then a second overlay for "Karbonite". Is there anyway to manually move ovevrlays to prevent this from happening?