Do you store your games on a separate partition?

ZedNova

Do you store your games on a Hard drive partition other than C:\?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you store your games on a Hard drive partition other than C:\?

• Yes
    • No

Just a little poll here, do you install your games, and/or other personal programs on a Hard drive partition other than C:\?

Iv'e always done it for the sake of convenience and organization. Steam, origin and every old Cd-ROM game is installed on my E: drive.

No, but I store my data on a different partition. (Well, technically a different volume, since I invariably use LVM). This is even more important now I have an SSD, the /, /boot, and swap partitions are on that (and the Windows partition) while /home is on the mechanical drives.

At the moment my steam folder is in its default location in my home directory. I should move it, KSP doesn't care but other games might prefer being on the SSD.

I've never had any problems reinstalling Windows without wiping a partition, and all my data is backed up on my NAS anyway.

I hate having multiple partitions. It's just a waste of space. You typically end up with an OS partition that is half empty and that you don't use.

I've never had any problems reinstalling Windows without wiping a partition, and all my data is backed up on my NAS anyway.

I hate having multiple partitions. It's just a waste of space. You typically end up with an OS partition that is half empty and that you don't use.

Maybe I'm just too old but I don't consider a reinstall of the OS "clean" unless I've formatted the drive :D

And hard drive space is pennies per gig these days. Running out of space or wasting space is simply not a problem for me.

I keep it all in C:/ because it keeps it happy!

if you don't get it, it's because it's a smile

Looks more like a despondent person in a big hat to me :D

Back when this computer was organised, yep the games were on a single partition.

I have 7 partitions and unfortunately it's like the proverbial bomb went off in my file system and now there's things all over the place.

I do keep C:\ clear for the OS, apart from my download folder which has grown into an unweildy beast of thousand of small files that I probably had some reason to download but can no longer remember what any of it is, I might rename that folder to "abandon hope all ye who enter here".

For the first time ever, yes. Well, I stopped playing KSP recently so i don't anymore but for the first time I own a computer with more than one hard drive!

ALSO OMG I HAVE 2 BLOBS UNDER MY NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOt on a partition. I hate partitions. But I do have a 1TB hard drive dedicated to all the programs I use. Of the 900gb worth of stuff I have installed there, 300 or so of it is my Steam folder, 500 is misc other games and backups of games, and the balance is misc data files, downloads and the like pertaining to my games. The only thing C:\ is used for is Windows and any vital function related to keeping my machine running. The only thing D:\ is used for is occasionally digging through ancient files I still have on that IDE drive I've been using since 2003.

Also, that drive is full, I need another drive.

I keep them on my C:\ partition, because I don't really have a reason not to. 90% of my games are on steam or origin anyway, so most of my data is in the cloud either way. I could easily transfer the rest per USB stick if I should decide to wipe my hard drive for some reason.

Unless you have a very unusual setup, each of your drives has at least one partition. /nitpick

No. Partitions only exist if you split one hard drive into two drives within the OS. If you have not done this you have not partitioned the space on the drive, thus, you have no partitions.

Internal. I have three drives in my computer, a 320GB and 1TB SATA and an old 120gb IDE relic I keep in because it has ancient data I need from time to time on it.

Mmkay. I figure that if it were external it'd be pretty foolish unless you have a separate computer you travel with.

No. Partitions only exist if you split one hard drive into two drives within the OS. If you have not done this you have not partitioned the space on the drive, thus, you have no partitions.
Virtually all hard drives have a partition table, either in the Master Boot Record or with newer drives and systems a GUID Partition Table (or for pre-Intel Macs an Apple-specific system). It is common for the partition table to have an entry for just one partition that uses all the remaining space on the drive, but that's not the same thing as having no partitions at all. Neither PCs nor Macs will boot without a primary drive having some sort of partition table.

In any case, Windows since Vista will by default create a hidden partition as well as the C:\ partition anyway, used for recovery tools and for Bitlocker if you enable it. Many computer manufacturers also ship their systems with their own recovery partitions. If you open Disk Manager (right click on My Computer and click Manage) you can see these.

I prefer only keeping system essentials on C. If I need to reinstall, it takes minimal work to get things back up and running. It also keeps my data much safer since most virii don't go after anything that isn't on the system drive.

depends. newer games just get installed to the c: drive. if the game can run independant of being installed, it goes on the d drive and i never have to worry about installing it ever. i just rebuild new shortcuts, with a batch file when i re-install the os. needless to say most of those games are 90s titles that are very easy to make installer independent. ksp is on d:\. dont ever change.

Edited by Nuke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.