0.25 Discussion thread

EnderSpace

GreGROXMun

I don't anymore, but It still holds a good four years of my heart. Anyway, the picture is showing Spore derailing a HypeTrain.

My Spore name is Gregrox. Mun was obviously added when I joined KSP.

The name came from me having the Spore demo and REALLY wanting to use the Sporebase Grox Hack. When I came home from school, my Dad had already gotten me and set up my Spore account, I had no choice in the name.

It was my first real internet name, I used Gregrox2f2 for Trainz forum, Gregrox for the Sodor Island 3D forum, I used GregroxCake3 as my steam name. (Cake is a lie), and GregroxMun for KSP, and Gregrox for reddit.

GROX I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT XD. Awesome! Everyone has their internet back story. I first went on the Xbox as Joe_H_919 and switched shortly after to "The Avera9e Joe" In light that when I kill someone it says "the avera9e joe killed you". My birthday is in the 9th month and "avera9e" isn't a commonly used internet phrase so I stuck with it. Avera9eJoe is what I use now as it's shorter and doesn't need to be replaced with "_" for some places*. Spore is such a great game... KSP though...

*Steam name is The_Avera9e_Joe

Anyways idc who sees that info it's not a secret but back on topic of .25. Other than the secret, what do you wish to know about .25 that hasn't been released yet?

I'm concerned the Mk1 parts shown off on the KSP Twitter appear to not follow the modelling standards for parts. That is, they look to be based on 18 sided cylinders rather than the 24 that every other stock part uses, and that every mod adheres to. I remember seeing this problem being pointed out after seeing the first small image of the Mk1 Cockpit but it was too small for me to tell, but these new images make it clear that the new parts do not have 24 sides.

18 sided cylinder on the left, compare the number of sides visible on the right-hand end of each part:

AP7ERhg.jpg

A quick mock up demonstrating why this is an issue:

0DNeO1W.jpg

I'm concerned the Mk1 parts shown off on the KSP Twitter appear to not follow the modelling standards for parts. That is, they look to be based on 18 sided cylinders rather than the 24 that every other stock part uses, and that every mod adheres to. I remember seeing this problem being pointed out after seeing the first small image of the Mk1 Cockpit but it was too small for me to tell, but these new images make it clear that the new parts do not have 24 sides.

18 sided cylinder on the left, compare the number of sides visible on the right-hand end of each part:

http://i.imgur.com/AP7ERhg.jpg

A quick mock up demonstrating why this is an issue:

http://i.imgur.com/0DNeO1W.jpg

Even if they were both 24 sided, it doesn't prevent either part being potentially rotated and aligned differently during modelling. Ending up with misaligned faces during shipbuilding anyway is kind of inevitable (and barely noticeable, in my experience). I doubt Squad has every single asset built to that kind of precision.

Edited by Daishi

Even if they were both 24 sided, it doesn't prevent either part being potentially rotated and aligned differently during modelling. Ending up with misaligned faces during shipbuilding anyway is kind of inevitable (and barely noticeable, in my experience). I doubt Squad has every single asset built to that kind of precision.

Yeah the side count isn't a big problem for me. I love the look of all the spaceplane redone parts but having the black bottom present on both the Mk1 and the Mk3 cockpits but NOT on the Mk2 cockpit is an issue. I know it was removed so the Mk2 parts could be used upside down without clashing, but now they will clash If I use an Mk1 cockpit with an Mk2 part. I haven't heard any form of fox for this, so someone make a mod to fix this please!

And Daishi, that's a good mod you've got there in your sig :P.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

I just found this interesting chain of responses.

The same guy said these two messages:

uoXVGUk.png

ocdEFPy.png

Kerbal Space Program responded saying:

0M5leni.png

All 3 of these are listed as being from "2 hours ago"

TO WHICH QUESTION ARE YOU SAYING YES!!!

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Yeah the side count isn't a big problem for me. I love the look of all the spaceplane redone parts but having the black bottom present on both the Mk1 and the Mk3 cockpits but NOT on the Mk2 cockpit is an issue. I know it was removed so the Mk2 parts could be used upside down without clashing, but now they will clash If I use an Mk1 cockpit with an Mk2 part. I haven't heard any form of fox for this, so someone make a mod to fix this please!

And Daishi, that's a good mod you've got there in your sig :P.

Here's hoping they release an optional heat-sheild part you can snap on to the underside, for planes you want to take into space. Doesn't make purely low-atmospheric flyers too heavy when they don't need to be.

And thanks! Just plodding along with a few little things before we release the TAC edition :)

So I found this:

http://i.imgur.com/0M5leni.png

And than trying to find what KSP was responding to I found this:

http://i.imgur.com/uoXVGUk.png

Wut. ::hype intensifies::

You may not know that you can click "View conversation" and see that @KerbalSpaceP was replying to the air scoop question.

Or you do know that and intentionally cut your images... ;)

;)

Yeah that was on purpose. You never know though...

- snip

Is it me or am I counting 6 sides along a quarter of the base in this older pic of the new Mk1 Cockpit (meaning 24 sides for the whole thing):

Btq8ACJIYAAuOiL.jpg:large

Also the part you compare strikes me as a Mk3 fuel tank, but viewed from an angle that makes it look sort of like an Mk1 part.

The fuselage with air scoop looks like a cosmetic update to the Engine Nacelle part. The last part seems to be a 1.25m liquid fuel tank or structural fuselage.

Not sure how I feel about the tiny amount of glass in the new Mk1 cockpit, will the IVA view even be able to look directly ahead?

The fuselage with air scoop looks like a cosmetic update to the Engine Nacelle part.

Is it just me or the old one looks better?

Not sure how I feel about the tiny amount of glass in the new Mk1 cockpit, will the IVA view even be able to look directly ahead?

Looks like it will be.

Air intakes on fuselage parts are throwing a spanner in the works of intake/engine balancing. I wish Squad decided to tackle that problem as well and made all engines to use the same amount of air or flameout all at once.

Air intakes on fuselage parts are throwing a spanner in the works of intake/engine balancing. I wish Squad decided to tackle that problem as well and made all engines to use the same amount of air or flameout all at once.

Amen to this. Intake air desperately needs fixing: It shouldn't be storable, its allocation shouldn't be based on part placement order, and the display for it in the resource panel should be made more meaningful.

I would assume there will still be a structural fuselage sans intake. And if you want the scoop for looks but it mucks up your intakeair flow, can't you just close it?

New Mk-1 looks OK. It's an overhaul rather than a whole new design, not sure if that was the right approach. The Mk-2 (old stock one not SP+ ones) is the one I really want to see what they've done with though.

:huh: Looks like a whole new design to me.
I'll clarify. It could well be a ground-up remodel, but visually it looks a lot like the current Mk1 cockpit. The nose is virtually unchanged with its recesses, the quasi-ladder bits either side of the glass are the same, it's still got the ventral heat-shielding (though that's something that if it's present will always look much the same). The cockpit glass area and the side bulges at the rear are the main areas that have been tweaked.

If you want ideas of what I'd call "a whole new design", compare the old and new versions of the LV-T30 or the Mk1 pod for example.

Oh, and EnderSpace, I assume they're 1.25 m.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm wrong. CaptRobau noticed that the fuselage and engine-scoop fuselage might actually be Mk3 parts, you can just about see some heatshielding at the bottom.

Edited by cantab