Ideas for the New Secret Feature in 0.25!

Lhathron the Elf

Do you agree with me?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with me?

• Yes, I agree with you 100%.
    • Nope, I think you're totally wrong.
    • Sort of, I'm split between two (or more) different ideas.
    • I'm really not quite sure.

... Is it possibly automated flight? kerbals controlling things? after all... why did maxmaps crash that plane? maybe just maybe, its kerbal training... after all, in theory, better players would still have bill, jeb and bob alive, whereas inexperienced players would kill them, blow them up or screw up launch staging... thus meaning good players would have to go out of their way to use "inexperienced" kerbals?

I rather guess it's stock deadly reentry, would have been a nasty surprise if true.

And, the lack of this feature creates very unrealistic return trajectories, something that would eventually have to be fixed to make orbital launches conform with common sense.

Hot stuffs going boom is complemented by new explosions as well.

Edited by goduranus

I rather guess it's stock deadly reentry, would have been a nasty surprise if true.

And, the lack of this feature creates very unrealistic return trajectories, something that would eventually have to be fixed to make orbital launches conform with common sense.

Hot stuffs going boom is complemented by new explosions as well.

"Has not been made in a mod yet." So it's not deadly reentry.

I'm gonna be a bit disappointed if they built up all of this hype over the course of 3 weeks for something as stupid as destructible buildings. I mean really the explosions gfx would have been a better secret feature than that.

Edited by Alshain

The other thing to remember about Feature X, is that it's supposed to be the result of something very big under the hood that paves the way for the 0.26 update.

I can't find the exact quote, but I recall Max (maybe on the Kerbal Pod Cast??) saying they were able to implement it as a result of changes made for 0.26.

Destructible buildings would fit that (and point at the 0.26 'big one' being destructible EVERYTHING *MUAHAHA* ... er, sorry about that.) but as already mentioned that would seem to violate the 'No one has guessed it' statement.

I'm gonna be a bit disappointed if they built up all of this hype over the course of 3 weeks for something as stupid as destructible buildings. I mean really the explosions gfx would have been a better secret feature than that.

I completely agree, but if it possibly lays the groundwork for a customizable/upgradable KSC in .26 then it may be worth the dev time. It would also be nice to have an open system for modders to implement their own buildings into the game as well...I can imagine a thousand uses for that. Or...how about a 'building builder' building...where, you can build buildings...in a building. I dunno, that sounded cool in my head.

Alright everyone, let's get back on rails. (pun intended)

From what Maxmaps said, the "secret feature" has those traits:

-Won't be exactly a common occurence

-Skilled players more often than not won't encounter it unless they deliberately do so

-If you do encounter it, you'll have to deal with its' consequences.

-No mod has ever done it before

Obviously it won't be improvements to air/water. It might be something like volcanoes, as they meet with traits 1, 3 and 4, but isn't exactly on par with #2 as skilled players also can meet up at one. I'm also doubting that the secret feature is the new explosion FX, as mods could easily replace that(looking at you, HotRockets), and skilled players also do hiccups from time to time(and glitches).

You forgot to mention that it is a cool yet rather small thing, and that it's only possible because of all the groundwork that we put in so a big 0.26 big feature would be possible. This being the reason why our art team is chained to their desks undertaking that massive project.

I have another theory for the secret feature: Asteroids that aren't redirected don't just plop onto Kerbin's (or whatever celestial body's) surface (or-if left alone-disappear in that body's atmosphere). Instead, they would impact and create a massive explosion along with other problems. This fits all the criteria (including what Maxmaps has just said): 1: It wouldn't exactly be common as not all asteroids are on an impact trajectory with Kerbin. 2: Skilled players won't encounter it as much because they would simply redirect the asteroid. 3: If the asteroid does hit Kerbin, you'll have to deal with its consequences. And 4: No mod has ever done it before.

So, as long as dectructible/repairable buildings are kinda confirmed, we colud guess what is the base they are preparing...

And, voila!

Will we be able to build a space center somewhere else?

As long as buildings are now repairable, seems that they will be buildable?

You forgot to mention that it is a cool yet rather small thing, and that it's only possible because of all the groundwork that we put in so a big 0.26 big feature would be possible. This being the reason why our art team is chained to their desks undertaking that massive project.

So, basically just pure hype.

2: Skilled players won't encounter it as much because they would simply redirect the asteroid.

Is it really a sign of being a skilled player to sit their and check every asteroid for a possible impact?

Nah ... I am sure it means that skilled players are unlikely to produce fumbles necessary to invoke the new feature.

-Won't be exactly a common occurence

-Skilled players more often than not won't encounter it unless they deliberately do so

-If you do encounter it, you'll have to deal with its' consequences.

-No mod has ever done it before

So the above criteria. Combined with the new Strategies, and existing Career functionality so far... I would say the feature is that if you have a run of catastrophic failures, resulting in deaths. Your space program will be punished. Such as no Kerbaled flights until your Rep is above a threshold again.

So the above criteria. Combined with the new Strategies, and existing Career functionality so far... I would say the feature is that if you have a run of catastrophic failures, resulting in deaths. Your space program will be punished. Such as no Kerbaled flights until your Rep is above a threshold again.

I'm not sure if thats it , but i like the idea of getting more punishment for killing kerbals. Other than only losing that Kerbal and Rep. That would make a good reason for Probe missions, if any Kerballed flight caries a bigger risk but also biggr rewards with it.

(assuming you play no-revert difficulty, otherwise why not just revert to launch?)

Kerbals that are leaving the Space Programm because they were treated badly.

Asfaik no mod has done this, You have to deal with the consequences, skilled Players treat their kerbals well, it should not happen too often.

And as preparation for more kerbal integratino in 0.26 it would also fit.

Kerbals that are leaving the Space Programm because they were treated badly.

Asfaik no mod has done this, You have to deal with the consequences, skilled Players treat their kerbals well, it should not happen too often.

And as preparation for more kerbal integratino in 0.26 it would also fit.

But what would the arts team have to do with this - and how could Harvester have done it repeatedly just for fun?

Persistent craters on terrain seems more likely than destructible KSC buildings. It would be more flexible, and I think easier to implement because the basic terrain is much simpler.

Or, in a completely different direction, maybe it's actually

. Perhaps if you do run out of funds, then when you switch to fly any craft you see the Administrators swarming all over it removing pieces to pay off your debts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.