[1.2 - 1.4][WIP] Joolian Discovery v0.8 (2015-08-14)

NecroBones

• 1 month later...

Necro, I'm thinking of doing some code tweaking to make the Discovery compatible with KAS/KIS systems. My goal is to get it so you could build everything in orbit, one piece at a time. You feel like tag-teaming the coding? I don't think it'll be too tricky.

Also, if you're up for it, I could use your help with the old school DSP Discovery ball.

Necro, I'm thinking of doing some code tweaking to make the Discovery compatible with KAS/KIS systems. My goal is to get it so you could build everything in orbit, one piece at a time. You feel like tag-teaming the coding? I don't think it'll be too tricky.

Sounds cool, but admittedly I'm not sure what's involved.

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds cool, but admittedly I'm not sure what's involved.

Haven't finished trying to build one yet, but I think it's actually more intuitive than I was thinking. Will keep you posted.

In the meantime, for anyone who likes sci-fi, check out the Farscape mod. (Link in my signature)

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, HrabCOrp said:

Hi! Wonderful craft! When you will update it to v0.9?

It might be a while. I have a lot more I want to do with this, but it may wait a bit on my other projects. I'm also waiting to see how the new Part Tools will impact things with IVAs and the like, after KSP 1.1 hits.

i came across this rather amazing Discovery et al. interior plan resource t'other day (scroll down). you might find it useful if you're still working on an IVA.

sample:

discoveryBlueprint1.jpg

interesting revelations: the Discovery's bridge is oriented such that the rectangular window on the front of the command pod is on the bridge ceiling.

bbA01rS.png

there's also this:

22 minutes ago, speedwaystar said:

i came across this rather amazing Discovery et al. interior plan resource t'other day (scroll down). you might find it useful if you're still working on an IVA.

sample:

discoveryBlueprint1.jpg

interesting revelations: the Discovery's bridge is oriented such that the rectangular window on the front of the command pod is on the bridge ceiling.

bbA01rS.png

Yep, there's a lot of info that can be gleaned from the movie directly, and a lot of great drawings online. This pack is meant to be more of a cartoonish "kerbalized" version, so for the sake of ease of use of the IVA, it orients forward like an aircraft. If/when I work on the pod bay, I want it to be reasonably laid out like the film's bay, but again it'll be kerbalized and have to work within the existing space constraints to fit some pods in, so I'm not yet sure what it'll look like exactly.

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, ҒЯІТІОҒ said:

Great mod, but a EVA pod would be nice as a separate RCS Craft.

Yep, that's something I still want to do. I've learned a lot since I last put any serious time into this pack, so I may be able to actually take a good stab at the pod bay and deployable pods before long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/18/2016 at 8:23 PM, wizisi2k said:

any chance of integrating with deep freeze continued?  Also on that point, if implemented, will there be a option to "eject" the hibernation modules a'la 2001 movie where life support is cut off??  

You could probably just add a decoupler to the the radial Cryo Pods. I know I made customized "drop pods" that radially attached and had massive decouplers and were CLS passable. You could add the Jettison resources to it if you wanted to simulate loss of resources, or just turn off cross feed and have the option on in deep freeze that requires them to have a continual supply of EC.

-----

@NecroBones I actually used this mod to reach Jool for the first time ever, combined with Kerbalism, which made for an interesting trip. I posted it in the Kerbalism forums here

I can't find the follow up post, but the crew had so many mental break downs, each time taking me out of time warp, that I ended up spacing the entire crew and the ship arrived, a ghost ship. It then proceeded to eject the Monolith into the Heart of Jool (which naturally I brought with and had loaded with science instruments).

Pretty sure that's how NASA does it.:mellow:

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Necro,

Wanna work together on a 1.2 update?

-Ody

Everything should work for 1.2 already, except for not taking advantage of the new categories, and not having the new transmitter/kerbnet modules. I'll add those when I get some free moments to work on it. :)

• 5 months later...
On 10/19/2016 at 11:59 AM, NecroBones said:

Everything should work for 1.2 already, except for not taking advantage of the new categories, and not having the new transmitter/kerbnet modules. I'll add those when I get some free moments to work on it. :)

Old thread and all, but this is a great mod. It works just fine with 1.2, except there are no cockpit lights, but I guess that was not implemented. NecroBones, are you still planning to work a bit on this mod? Thanks!

screenshot69.jpg

screenshot68.jpg

screenshot70.jpg

Edited by Kerbital

On 3/31/2017 at 1:33 PM, Kerbital said:

Old thread and all, but this is a great mod. It works just fine with 1.2, except there are no cockpit lights, but I guess that was not implemented. NecroBones, are you still planning to work a bit on this mod? Thanks!

Eventually, yep. Everything's kinda been on hold lately, but I don't plan for that to be a permanent situation. :wink:

• 2 months later...

some mod that is on my system just changed the JoolianEngine to use LH2 rather than LF... and I have a career game with about 50 of these engines in it as I have used it on ALL of my communication relays and constellation satellites.  so I have said 50 some odd craft en-route to various moons and planets and now all of them are space junk as some mod made the engines all switch to LH2.

does anybody have any ideas what mods will change the fuel type?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Thanks for reminding about this mod and its compatibility with 1.9.1

Will there be any work done on this in the future, even with the pod bay doors opening to expose a cargo bay which is large enough for a small RCS only pod made from a mk1 landercan, and if possible an attachment point and room to put a Deep Freeze container in there?

Peace.

• 1 month later...

Something to note about the potential of part additions, if this is ever continued: Discovery was originally conceived to have radiators, and although they were removed, the mounting points still remain on the final version, so they could still be made to attach in the appropriate locations.

References here: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/heatrad.php#xd1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.