[11/26/15 Update] Say Hello to the Light-Green Group!

Endersmens

yeap, of course that also means infractions might go away too..... :P

EDIT: HOLY JEBEDIAH! I HAVE MORE REP THAN KASPER VLD! That space shuttle really boosted me....

And more than that guy who actually made the game that's the reason we came here in the first place...

It just shows rep is more about the cool things you do on the forum, than anything else.

I must have a go of that shuttle some time, though...

True.... And I'm so close to another rep bar! 3 more points!

I was going to push you over, but then I realized that I had just passed three bars myself and wanted to spend a little time before being inevitably passed by you... :wink:

~~~

To be quite honest, I can see why the Shuttle is sucking up +Rep so quickly: not only is it really cool, but you've posted it to at least nine different threads on the Forum so far: The original thread, two different Space Shuttle Megathreads, the How do I Rekindle my Interest in KSP thread, the Show off your Awesome KSP Pictures thread, the Zokesia Skunkworks thread, the WIP Design thread, the What did you Do in KSP Today thread, the Some KSP Pictures...... thread, and undoubtedly in some other places as well.

To be honest, this self-promotion may earn you loads of Reputation, but it seems to be morally wrong, to me at least. Even my coolest designs, like the one in my signature, don't cause me to post all over the forum in search of recognition and Reputation: I think I placed a picture of my Dragon in two threads, total. I got a fair deal of Reputation from both of these, but I didn't try to go further and post the design in threads seemingly just to show how awesome it was. I just put a link in my signature, in 12-point font, and people could take a look if they wanted. And that was that.

To be honest, if you get your Reputation by plastering the Forum with your content, you're not really deserving of the attention or the Reputation that ensues, in my opinion anyway.

I'm happy enough to keep you on the Light-Green Group list, Zekes, and this was not meant to be disrespectful or combative. It's just an issue that I feel someone needs to address, for the good of you as a person and the Forum as a whole. :)

Also, I'm updating the Group tomorrow... because it's long overdue, now.

-snip-

Yeah, i tend to go overboard with my sharing :(

i didn't think it was that bad but I guess you're right.... At least I try to be creative and respectful about it- Im not trying to spam I just want to spread the word since so much good stuff gets gobbled up by the forum :P

EDIT shoutout to LABHOUSE for carrying me over, thanks :)

Edited by zekes

To be fair to zekes, that shuttle is something special. Sure it was pictured in more threads than most, but it wasn't the same picture over and over (the KVV schematics were particularly nice). While it probably wouldn't be cool if everyone shared every neat craft they make as prolifically, I can understand a bit of pride in that particular one.

I wouldn't be so sure. When I first found how to see the rep-sorted list earlier this year there was only one legit member of the green light group, Whackjob, and he had a seemingly insurmountable lead of close to two hundred points (and I was many pages back). Now, after a few months of reduced activity from him, there are seven posters who have passed him and more who are close. All it would take is a change in my schedule where I couldn't constantly spam contribute as regularly to the forum and I would expect someone to pass me in short order. The poster who will eventually displace me is probably already on the list, or is perhaps making their way up from much lower down.

I know you say you constantly spam but you really don`t seem to post too much. Your posts inform and even when you are expressing distaste for something, you do it in a civil manner and with courtesy. We could do with more like you on the forum.

You also, more often than not, make a very good point and have changed my opinion on a couple of matters (not easy to do) You often make a very good argument for your case.

If you look down (there is no other direction for you ;)) the list you will see people on there who have nearly 5000 posts yet did that in less than a year. You have had your account three times as long as that yet you don`t have 6000 posts yet.

There are far bigger spammers out there...

On a side point,

I`m glad Whackjob is in the LG group.

They are special, there`s only one Whackjob...

It would be a shame if they left the forum for good although sometimes I wonder if there is anything left for them to do in the game, they have done so much...

On another side point,

People say that craft make the most rep but I think it is not so simple.

Look at Mulbin for example, he has made some great craft, done a historical series of rockets not matched by many craft builders at all. Many people comment on his threads and like his craft yet I have more rep than him and every craft I make seems to be posted in invisible font. Nobody comments, no rep, nothing.

I have my rep for reasons I`m not too sure of. It`s not from mods or craft and while I try to help where I can mostly I just chat nonsense on the forum (maybe people like nonsense?)

EDIT : To contrast methods, MajorJim made an awesome curiosity craft, it does the whole `7 minutes of terror` thing and it`s stock (that seems to more than double the rep gained from craft) and I only knew about it by spotting it in his Sig. As I have not seen it in many places I`ll mention it a few times where it seems pertinent.

Edited by John FX

Im not trying to spam I just want to spread the word since so much good stuff gets gobbled up by the forum :P

It is true that some stuff just sinks into the depths, even if it's something you've worked on and are proud of. I used to get a bit competitive about new fan works threads, not posting in other cool threads if they would push mine down before a certain time. But I have my favorite threads in my sig now, where anyone interested can access whenever.

Like many things, the key is balance, and checking motivation. Promoting stuff can be fun, making great stuff can bring good to others. It can be a great boost to the self esteem to get recognition. But it is possible to rely on it too much, or start to annoy, and look desperate and attention seeking in the eyes of others.

I try to make it a rule: When making something for the internet, not for pay or earning an education, try not to go too far beyond what you would make just for yourself. I have folders full of things I've photoshopped or written, but never shared, (non kerbal stuff).

I like how this thread has evolved into a discussion about reputation, and the issues around it. It seems completely appropriate.

Edited by Tw1

I know you say you constantly spam but you really don`t seem to post too much. Your posts inform and even when you are expressing distaste for something, you do it in a civil manner and with courtesy. We could do with more like you on the forum.

You also, more often than not, make a very good point and have changed my opinion on a couple of matters (not easy to do) You often make a very good argument for your case.

If you look down (there is no other direction for you ;)) the list you will see people on there who have nearly 5000 posts yet did that in less than a year. You have had your account three times as long as that yet you don`t have 6000 posts yet.

There are far bigger spammers out there...

On a side point,

I`m glad Whackjob is in the LG group.

They are special, there`s only one Whackjob...

It would be a shame if they left the forum for good although sometimes I wonder if there is anything left for them to do in the game, they have done so much...

On another side point,

People say that craft make the most rep but I think it is not so simple.

Look at Mulbin for example, he has made some great craft, done a historical series of rockets not matched by many craft builders at all. Many people comment on his threads and like his craft yet I have more rep than him and every craft I make seems to be posted in invisible font. Nobody comments, no rep, nothing.

I have my rep for reasons I`m not too sure of. It`s not from mods or craft and while I try to help where I can mostly I just chat nonsense on the forum (maybe people like nonsense?)

EDIT : To contrast methods, MajorJim made an awesome curiosity craft, it does the whole `7 minutes of terror` thing and it`s stock (that seems to more than double the rep gained from craft) and I only knew about it by spotting it in his Sig. As I have not seen it in many places I`ll mention it a few times where it seems pertinent.

Hey man,

I agree that stock craft will earn more rep than modded craft simply because everybody has stock parts and so has some understanding of the difficulty in making a certain craft.

I rarely give rep for modded craft simply because I don't use part mods and therefore have no understanding of the difficulties in building with those parts.

Also making craft that are new or unique helps. I love to build replicas because you have a 'guide' of sorts to follow and compare to. And people love to fly something that has flown IRL.

MJ

Hey man,

I agree that stock craft will earn more rep than modded craft simply because everybody has stock parts and so has some understanding of the difficulty in making a certain craft.

I rarely give rep for modded craft simply because I don't use part mods and therefore have no understanding of the difficulties in building with those parts.

Also making craft that are new or unique helps. I love to build replicas because you have a 'guide' of sorts to follow and compare to. And people love to fly something that has flown IRL.

MJ

I found that military stock replicas seem to never earn much rep. :P

I just do it for fun.

I found that military stock replicas seem to never earn much rep. :P

I just do it for fun.

*coughs*QEII*Cough*

The trick to stock replicas is do something that doesn't seem feasable, and do it flawlessly. That's what I try to do - all my craft are things normal users might see and say "that's impossible, what mods are you using" and they get wowed when they see it's stock. That's the trick. Make crazy, but VERY HIGH QUALITY things - this is the key to rep.

To be fair to zekes, that shuttle is something special. Sure it was pictured in more threads than most, but it wasn't the same picture over and over (the KVV schematics were particularly nice). While it probably wouldn't be cool if everyone shared every neat craft they make as prolifically, I can understand a bit of pride in that particular one.

Mind you, zekes' craft is one of the coolest things I've seen in KSP so far. It's absolutely incredible. But it's not even done yet. In a reply to my post on the Space Shuttle thread, zekes said:

Yes, I know This shuttle deserves a bit more "realism" - but I just wanted to get it flying in the first place, and I can add these details [the ones I mentioned in the previous post - Upsilon] now that it works.

...which means that this heavy promotion is for a thing that isn't quite complete. I'm a bit worried about what will happen when zekes is 100% done with the Shuttle, is all. The amount of promotion it's been given already suggests that there's only more to come as he tweaks the shuttle... which I'm a little worried about.

[various discussions about constructing stock and modded craft]

Personally, I feel like - and I'm going to overuse an analogy that's already been tread to the ground here - KSP is like a box of LEGOs. Stock parts are the somewhat-worn-out plain LEGOs that you're given: no really fancy bits, just the regular stuff. Mods bring in all manners of fancy LEGOs, but they cost more (they may cause problems with your install or slow the game down). If someone can create a masterpiece with the plain LEGOs, I don't think it detracts from all of the masterpieces made with the fancy bits, but it does take more work and patience and creativity to work with the plain LEGOs.

I generally give +Rep to stock craft, mostly, but if it's obvious that a modded craft took a lot of work and creativity, I'm happy to give it rep as well.

-Upsilon

(P.S. Sorry for not updating the Group today, I literally didn't even have time to write as much as I wanted on this post. Busy busy. Will update ASAP, mmkay? :))

...which means that this heavy promotion is for a thing that isn't quite complete. I'm a bit worried about what will happen when zekes is 100% done with the Shuttle, is all. The amount of promotion it's been given already suggests that there's only more to come as he tweaks the shuttle... which I'm a little worried about.

I'm actually done, in my mind - it works, and I've put enough time into it, both showcase and designwize. I'll give it a rest for now.

Can't wait for that list update XD

Edited by zekes

*coughs*QEII*Cough*

The trick to stock replicas is do something that doesn't seem feasable, and do it flawlessly. That's what I try to do - all my craft are things normal users might see and say "that's impossible, what mods are you using" and they get wowed when they see it's stock. That's the trick. Make crazy, but VERY HIGH QUALITY things - this is the key to rep.

'cough' cruise missiles, guided missiles, aircraft carriers 'cough'

I think I need to refine my advertising skills. :P I have a bunch of nice craft, but not much outreach.

Or at least outreach in all the wrong places.

Congratulations to Streetwind for becoming the latest member of the light green group!!

Also Congratulations Lajoswinkler for becoming the second-latest member of the Light Green group!

(I'll send word to the kitchen to rustle up extra crepe, shall I?)

Edited by Ikaneko

Wait what? But I'm not even doing anything! :blush:

Okay, so I actually do a bit of balancing work for Near Future, but that's not what I usually get rep for. Instead it's for explaining the difference between an internal release target and a public release date... yeah, I have no idea either :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.