[11/26/15 Update] Say Hello to the Light-Green Group!

Endersmens

The list is fine. What Felsmak is suggesting is that Upsilon should remove SQUAD and the kerbal accounts, since they were artificially inflated, and I agree with him.

It makes no sense to have those four accounts (three of them don't even have posts) on a list with the rest of us.

This is meant to be a catalog for newbies and experienced forum-goers alike, as to the best and most appreciated individuals on the KSP forums. If one of these guys stops by to say hello on a thread, or even give reputation, be sure to say hi!

Given the intent of the list, I think the SQUAD account should stay. Posts from that account are worth paying attention to.

Red Iron Crown, your crown is getting sunbleached! :sticktongue:

(Yeah, I know, Christmas.)

I've still got a long way to go. What do you guys get rep for the most?

I've started to build a lot of crafts lately, and I've got a new docking tutorial coming up soon (I got quite a bit of rep for the last one), what else could I do?

I've started to build a lot of crafts lately, and I've got a new docking tutorial coming up soon (I got quite a bit of rep for the last one), what else could I do?

Be a nice fellow, give constructive criticism, share construction tips, post cool screenshots, say funny stuff, welcome new users, give lots of rep, be thankful, discuss interesting topics with people... Yeah, there's lots of stuff you can do.

Anything you do, though, try not to worry too much about it. As long as you're helpful and nice to people, rep will come to you. :)

Given the intent of the list, I think the SQUAD account should stay. Posts from that account are worth paying attention to.

Fair enough. Though I think it would be better to just put them at the top - without a number - and then have the list begin at 1 below them.

Fair enough. Though I think it would be better to just put them at the top - without a number - and then have the list begin at 1 below them.

Goid idea- especially Bill, Jeb, and Bob - they don't post or anything. This list is about reputation on the forums, not in game.

I would say this is the best approach to take. The new forum users will still see their names so they can become familiar with them and the actual forum users with light green pips will have a chance to get to the number one position.

Maybe have categories for forum users, devs, mods, and SQUAD (including ingame characters)?

For reference in such a case, currently the following Kerbals have a presence on the forums: Bill Kerman, Bob Kerman, Jebediah Kerman, Wernher von Kerman and Gene Kerman

But it none of them post, or even earn their rep, so they just shouldn't be listed... Especially if we're doing it by listing in order of rep...

Posting cool crafts is a sure-fire way to get lots of rep. If you need any ideas, I would suggest looking at this thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43086-Open-Source-Construction-Techniques-for-Craft-Aesthetics

One thing I think I should mention regarding accumulating rep: I and several other light-greeners have said that giving rep helps in getting rep, and that's true. However, it doesn't work if you are simply giving rep in the hopes it will be returned. I mention this because since this thread has started a few posters have repped me with a comment stating that they're giving rep for the sake of giving it; it really doesn't work that way. Giving rep is giving a compliment, if the compliment is genuine it will make the other person more likely to compliment you sometime down the line. If the compliment is given purely in the hope of receiving a compliment in return, it feels hollow to the recipient and seems a bit like rep-begging (also not a good idea, if your sig asks for rep you are actually less likely to receive it). Furthermore, it undermines the reputation system a bit to give rep for comments that don't really deserve it, even in the mind of the person doing the repping.

I guess I'm trying to say that there are enough people making enough rep-worthy posts every day here that no one should have to give rep arbitrarily; find those posts that are genuinely good and pay those posters a genuine compliment with your rep comment. It is those genuine compliments, rather than the rep itself, that will encourage others to compliment in return when they see you post something funny/interesting/helpful.

Edit: LOL, someone repped this post. XD

Edited by Red Iron Crown

snip

Yeah, it's funny that the thread made to showcase the people with most rep turns into a place where people throw around rep randomly :D not that I'm complaining, I like to think of it as a bunch of gentlemen sitting around chatting whilst smoking old pipes :D

Why do we need a reputation/karma system?

I remember forums where groups of people give points to each other daily which leads to absurd numbers making the system useless.

So... why do we have it? If it's just used as a 'thank you' you can write that as a post.

One thing I think I should mention regarding accumulating rep: I and several other light-greeners have said that giving rep helps in getting rep, and that's true. However, it doesn't work if you are simply giving rep in the hopes it will be returned. I mention this because since this thread has started a few posters have repped me with a comment stating that they're giving rep for the sake of giving it; it really doesn't work that way. Giving rep is giving a compliment, if the compliment is genuine it will make the other person more likely to compliment you sometime down the line. If the compliment is given purely in the hope of receiving a compliment in return, it feels hollow to the recipient and seems a bit like rep-begging (also not a good idea, if your sig asks for rep you are actually less likely to receive it). Furthermore, it undermines the reputation system a bit to give rep for comments that don't really deserve it, even in the mind of the person doing the repping.

I guess I'm trying to say that there are enough people making enough rep-worthy posts every day here that no one should have to give rep arbitrarily; find those posts that are genuinely good and pay those posters a genuine compliment with your rep comment. It is those genuine compliments, rather than the rep itself, that will encourage others to compliment in return when they see you post something funny/interesting/helpful.

That would be me that sparked this post I reckon. I throw it around like a dancing partner when jive is playing. I`m less selective with my rep than others but I only give out rep to people who either could do with some (nobody should have no rep IMHO), people who have made a good comment or a good argument (even if I do not agree), or people who just generally deserve rep because they are awesome.

Sometimes I`ll just rep people to remind them that the system exists and hope that spurs them into repping others. It`s not often I give rep in the hope of return, mostly not.

Yourself for example I`ve seen you posting good posts lately so I repped you but the rep was not for the post that I repped, it`s more general. You always post well.

Lately I`ve decided to max out my outward repping and so I have been less discriminatory, mostly at the end of the day.

In this thread (about having large amounts of rep) I sent rep `just because` (just because the thread is about repping)

I usually rep good/funny/informative posts but sometimes I use up the rest of that days rep randomly and I`ll not stop doing that.

I`ve not had much rep at all from people I randomly rep, like you say there are better ways of getting repped and it`s a bit artificial but I`m sure some who are repped like it.

I may make up convincing rep comments for when I randomly rep in future ;)

Yeah, it's funny that the thread made to showcase the people with most rep turns into a place where people throw around rep randomly :D not that I'm complaining, I like to think of it as a bunch of gentlemen sitting around chatting whilst smoking old pipes :D

I`m not surprised at all. I can totally imagine threads about repping would generate more random repping than other threads.

I like the idea of sitting around smoking old pipes. Can we drink port too?

I guess as more of a trust thing than anything. If you received advice or saw a mod from someone with over 500 Rep, you can feel safe in the knowledge that it's a safe and reliable mod or correct advice, rather than something that could harm your saves/crafts.

Also, it should be pretty obvious who actually is in the Light Green Group and who has cheated their way there. If you get someone that has barely made any posts or comments or even been active and still has more rep than say, sarbian or ferram4*, something'll look fishy. In other words, people with high Rep have likely earned it and it can be easily traced (popular mod, good comments, neat crafts etc).

*or NathanKell or KasperVld or Kashua or Nertea or Ven or BahamutoD or sumghai or Padishar or cybutek or toadicus etc etc..

I remember forums where groups of people give points to each other daily which leads to absurd numbers making the system useless.

So... why do we have it? If it's just used as a 'thank you' you can write that as a post.

I've participated in forums like that, there is often a "rep-exchange" thread that renders reputation meaningless. This forum puts some limits on repetitive repping, though I'd imagine some exchange still goes on.

I consider rep a nice way to pay a compliment that doesn't spam up the thread. If someone posts something funny, we don't need ten "Lol" repsonses, better for the "Lols" to go in reputation comments. Besides, it's a nice feeling when you log in and you've got notifications of rep comments, moreso than a comment in thread that you might miss. I'm fairly generous with rep as I like good posters to have that feeling. :)

That would be me that sparked this post I reckon. <snip>

I wasn't meaning to single you out, especially since you are a good poster who has repped me in the past for making a good argument even though you disagreed with it (I do this too, I prize people who debate well even if their opinions are wrong ;)). Your explanation for why you rep the way you do is pretty convincing, I think I assumed the incorrect motive.

Now, where did I leave my pipe? Ah yes, here it is in my smoking jacket pocket.

I`m not surprised at all. I can totally imagine threads about repping would generate more random repping than other threads.

I like the idea of sitting around smoking old pipes. Can we drink port too?

Sounds good to me.

giphy.gif

I've participated in forums like that, there is often a "rep-exchange" thread that renders reputation meaningless. This forum puts some limits on repetitive repping, though I'd imagine some exchange still goes on.

I consider rep a nice way to pay a compliment that doesn't spam up the thread. If someone posts something funny, we don't need ten "Lol" repsonses, better for the "Lols" to go in reputation comments. Besides, it's a nice feeling when you log in and you've got notifications of rep comments, moreso than a comment in thread that you might miss. I'm fairly generous with rep as I like good posters to have that feeling. :)

I wasn't meaning to single you out, especially since you are a good poster who has repped me in the past for making a good argument even though you disagreed with it (I do this too, I prize people who debate well even if their opinions are wrong ;)). Your explanation for why you rep the way you do is pretty convincing, I think I assumed the incorrect motive.

Now, where did I leave my pipe? Ah yes, here it is in my smoking jacket pocket.

I didn`t feel singled out, more like a catalyst. I started maxing my reps a little while ago in my `This Will Not End Well` thread where there were so many great images that made me laugh so much and I kept running out of rep so I sort of thought I may as well max out my rep every time I could. I thought it would be nice =)

I`ll get the brandy and cigars later...

Wow, loads and loads of comments! I'm not used to my threads exploding like this. :)

Given their artificially boosted reputation points, I feel that SQUAD shouldn't really count - especially not the Kerbal accounts. To me it just doesn't seem very meaningful to list the most "reputable" members of a forum when actually reaching rank 1 is completely unrealistic for ordinary members, if not impossible.
[...and lots of ensuing discussion.]

I'm liking the idea that the people with their +Rep counts artificially inflated (SQUAD, Bill, Bob, Jeb) are included at the top of the list, but that the #1 spot is moved down. One question though: Was Cap'n Skunky's +Rep artificially inflated, or is he the actual #1 spot? I'm thinking that the former is the case, but I'm not 100% sure.

About three-quarters of the +Rep I've received is for doing creative things. First it was the Debris Series, then the stock KSP dragon, then the plugin songs I've been making... I've gotten fewer than 100 points for being helpful or clever with my posts, believe it or not. I also don't give out +Rep nearly as often as many of the other members of the Group. I would say, do what you do best, and lots of it... and be sure to be a nice and productive Forum-goer.

Pipes aren't good for your lungs! (Don't smoke, kids!) ...but care for some '72 Cabernet Sauvignon, Zekes? It's a good vintage. :)

This forum, so far as I can tell, has not a single non-KSP-controlled account in the Light-Green Group that has had their +Rep artificially inflated. All members have a minimum of 500 posts, and have done some very neat stuff.

As for a "Thanks" post, it's much like Red Iron Crown said: Giving +Rep is a great way to show thanks, express appreciation, or just say hi without cluttering threads.

If it hasn't already been said, welcome to the Light-Green Group Mareczex333! Good to have you here :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.