[KSP 1.8.1] SCANsat [v19.1] -- Dev version [February 20, 2020]

DMagic

Data Science tell a message of comm done, but don't show progress and don't count the science points. And the science stay still on the item.

Resuming: No transmition for real.

Is it only here? Using Mac KSP version 1.0.4

Now that Planetary Overlays are implemented, would it be possible to (optionally) force a low-res normal planet texture to display in map view and tracking station, and only unlock the normal resolution texture when you send a vessel or specific instrument into its SOI? This would make planetary exploration a lot more exciting for me, especially in new planet packs. I want to have to actually visit a body before I know what it looks like in detail!

Data Science tell a message of comm done, but don't show progress and don't count the science points. And the science stay still on the item.

Resuming: No transmition for real.

Is it only here? Using Mac KSP version 1.0.4

I'm not entirely sure what this means, but there was an issue with older versions of Science Alert that prevented data transmission from SCANsat parts.

Now that Planetary Overlays are implemented, would it be possible to (optionally) force a low-res normal planet texture to display in map view and tracking station, and only unlock the normal resolution texture when you send a vessel or specific instrument into its SOI? This would make planetary exploration a lot more exciting for me, especially in new planet packs. I want to have to actually visit a body before I know what it looks like in detail!

Possible yes, but it's not that simple. I don't want to have some kind of instant scan mechanic like the way stock resources work, so visual mapping would work the same way as standard SCANsat mapping. I'm thinking of having a few levels of detail for each planet with new scanning parts for each (and also assume that crewed capsules have some kind of visual band scanner).

I'm also thinking this is something that work better as a standalone addon for SCANsat, rather than adding more options and complications for the base addon. Either way, it's not something that's likely to happen very soon.

Possible yes, but it's not that simple. I don't want to have some kind of instant scan mechanic like the way stock resources work, so visual mapping would work the same way as standard SCANsat mapping. I'm thinking of having a few levels of detail for each planet with new scanning parts for each (and also assume that crewed capsules have some kind of visual band scanner).

I'm also thinking this is something that work better as a standalone addon for SCANsat, rather than adding more options and complications for the base addon. Either way, it's not something that's likely to happen very soon.

I see. Well, I'm glad it's on your list!

Version 13.4 is out; get it on GitHub.

It fixes several bugs with the last version, including the distorted zoom maps near the poles, parts with multiple SCANsat resource abundance display modules, scanning continuing without power, duplicate map grid lines at the space center, and several others. See the first post for a complete change log.

It also adds ground track indicators for either the current vessel or all vessels in orbit around the current planet, because why not? :sticktongue: These can be adjusted or disabled from the settings window.

casTBeW.gif

These also highlight one of SCANsat's long-standing issues, that it doesn't take latitude into account when calculating scanning swath width. Because of this the scanning range narrows at higher altitudes; this is made obvious by the constant width ground track indicators. I'll try to address this for the next version, but it will probably require changes that will break any existing "ideal orbit" calculations.

Found a harmless, though odd, graphical glitch.

The ship I'm on is actually at Kerbin, though the green scan triangle doesn't seem to be origionating from Kerbin.

screenshot22_zpsrab95son.png

This time, a ship around Moho and the scanner triangle is pointing at Kerbin.

screenshot23_zpsycq8kbav.png

Kerbol even.

screenshot24_zpstb7oozoc.png

When at the body the ship is orbiting, the indicator works as it should, it only happens when you have a ship with active scanners and you are looking elsewhere besides the current body.

Found a harmless, though odd, graphical glitch.

It only happens when you are only showing tracks for the active vessel, the default state, right?

It's just a simple matter of not checking if it's the right body. I'll fix that.

It only happens when you are only showing tracks for the active vessel, the default state, right?

It's just a simple matter of not checking if it's the right body. I'll fix that.

Yeah, I have it on the default setting.

The [thread=80369]main release[/thread] has been updated to SCANsat v14.

It fixes a few minor bugs from the last release here, but is otherwise the same.

• 1 month later...

Hello

I equipped my ship with Scansat altimetry Sensor, Scansat SAR altimetry sensor and Scansat Multispectral sensor, the KA 100 detection array for Karbonite and the Portable Karbonite sample kit.

Karbonite mod is 0.6.4 and Scansat version is 1.13.4.

I used the scansat sensors at the required altitude and get a biome and altimetry map for Mun.

I used the KA 100 sensor array to detect Karbonite at the required altitude of 250km in orbit and I could see the Karbonite percentage detected when mousing over the sensor during orbit and having the map draw i could see where was flying my ship, so I knew by coordinates where on the surface I could get Karbonite. So I landed on one site, my portable sample kit detected a Karbonite (surf) percentage but I still can't see the Karbonite areas on the map when mousing over it. I selected on this map Ressource>Karbonite and toggle the ressource button . I deploy my Karbonite drills but they can't drill anything.

So the question is why can't I see the Karbonite area on my Scansat map, my detectors having scanned and detected Karbonite??? I can't see whether it's a scant issue or a Carbonate issue.

Here is a pic, I am travelling over Mun, my KA 100 detect Karbonite and the scan sat instrument gives Karbonite>Nodata

331080screenshot98.png

Edited by gilflo

Hello

I equipped my ship with Scansat altimetry Sensor, Scansat SAR altimetry sensor and Scansat Multispectral sensor, the KA 100 detection array for Karbonite and the Portable Karbonite sample kit...

See the post above yours.

• 2 months later...

Can I add an optical scanner (telescope) for ScanSat myself?

The idea is to use texture replacer to switch the planet textures to a low res version.

And then use one of the camera/telescope mod parts with added "optical scanner" module to uncover a high resolution map of the planet and view it with ScanSat's overlay mode.

Can that be done by editing part and config files or would that require tho modify ScanSat ?

Thx.

Can I add an optical scanner (telescope) for ScanSat myself?

The idea is to use texture replacer to switch the planet textures to a low res version.

And then use one of the camera/telescope mod parts with added "optical scanner" module to uncover a high resolution map of the planet and view it with ScanSat's overlay mode.

Can that be done by editing part and config files or would that require tho modify ScanSat ?

Thx.

You want to replace the existing scaled space maps (what you see from far away and in map mode) with low resolution versions? If you've replaced those what do you plan on showing after the planet has been scanned?

SCANsat's planetary overlay doesn't just work with any arbitrary texture (and there is a long list of reasons for why the resource overlay wouldn't work with a standard, color map of the surface), it works with the modes available, nothing else.

You want to replace the existing scaled space maps (what you see from far away and in map mode) with low resolution versions? If you've replaced those what do you plan on showing after the planet has been scanned?

I can see now why that is problematic, well would have been nice to add optical astronomy to the map view.

Thank you for clarifying this.

• 2 months later...

I restarted my career game, using all mods as usual (including this one and ScanSat Contract Pack). However, I am not getting those sweet contracts asking to perfom 75% resolution scan of kerbin/mun/mimmus. Did anything change?

I have mission control andtracking station upgraded, and not negative with reputation

• 1 month later...

Im having problems using the plugin in 1.0.5. The parts are in the list, and can be put on spacecraft. But thats it; no animations or scanning. On any part. Anyone else having the same?

The game doesnt crash, so no crash logs to be posted. I have also tried to remove other plugins/parts but the problem IS in ScanSat

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is brave and wants to help out I released a KSP 1.1 version of SCANsat; get it on GitHub.

As far as I can see all basic SCANsat functions are working properly. I haven't tested upgrading from old versions, so you should make backups if you have scanning data you want to keep.

Integration with MechJeb is not included, delete any SCANmechjeb.dll files you might have remaining in your SCANsat/Plugins folder.

SCANsat resource scanning requires Module Manager, I'm not sure if a KSP 1.1 version of that is available, but resource scanning won't work without it and hasn't been tested.

The only error that I can see so far is that the ground track indicators don't work.

Please let me know if anyone finds anything broken.

Edited by DMagic

Version 15.1 is out; get it on GitHub.

This updated fixes the problem with the ground tracks and landing location indicator. It is also updated for KSP 1.1.0.1174 and includes some minor Unity 5-based performance improvements.

Resource scanning seems to work fine when using the latest version of Module Manager