Cannae/EmDrive

Northstar1989

Depends on how you define "warp drive". There are perfectly natural things that warp spacetime all the time, you know... like gravity.

It could be a gravity generator/drive. :D

Yeah sure ;) Now they just have to hook it up to the fusion reactor by Lookheed Martin, and we can zip across the solar system :D

Scotius: I'm uncertain of the value off the top of my head, but Streetwind is probably right. It would be something small, yet FAR more noticeable than their current 40-100 micronewton tests. They started small so they could easily fit the system inside the vacuum chamber and keep the power levels low enough to ensure the device wasn't just pushing off the walls of the chamber.

I am slightly reminded of the scene in Macross where the captain shouts for them to activate the antigravity generators so the ship can fly. They power the units up...and they just rip themselves out of the ship and go floating away.

Alright, a bit of an update on the theories:

Basically, we know now that there is a slight distortion of space/time within the drive, as per Eaglework's warp field experiments. We can theorize that the drive is pushing off of virtual particle pairs, and that it was somehow keeping them from annihilating long enough to be useful. So,

Combine the two observations. By densening the space/time within the resonant cavity of the drive, it separates the virtual particle pairs long enough for the drive's magnetic fields to work on them, allowing the particles to be acted on and then vanish again in a burst of electro-magnetic radiation when they leave the warped area, thus obeying the laws of thermodynamics and physics. Problem solved?

Or...maybe this piece of copper somehow creates negative energy when zapped with microwaves? :D

Remember the two resonant disks? I'd bet that they're causing a much more powerful Casmir effect than normal somehow (which is the next question of the design), which is what is causing the curvature result. Just a matter of figuring out how exactly they're pulling that off, and we'll have most if not all of the questions answered. I mean, YEAH, it's literally quantum physics, but that doesn't mean it should just be ignored. It's doing stuff. We're figuring out WHY it's doing stuff (and two different labs have seen two different strange things, so it's doing SOMETHING), and if we can answer all the questions we'll likely have found a nice loophole in thermodynamics we can exploit.

There are a whole bunch of contradicting statements flying about.

a) No, warp field would not explain any FTL phenomena. That has requirements that are not meant. But I'm not sure there has actually been an observation of anything going FTL.

B) EM Drive resulting in light interference consistent with a very weak warp field is possible.

c) While a warp field can produce thrust by interacting with nearby matter, I'm pretty sure we'd notice a warp field of that sort of strength earlier.

d) A sufficiently strong warp field would require rather high energy densities. I'm not going to outright claim that it's impossible to achieve with a resonance chamber, but it seems suspect.

I'd wait for an official announcement from NASA, or better yet, an actual publication that would provide details of the measurements.

We've been specifically looking for this with warp field interferometry for a few years now. There is nothing fantastical about that. We all know that space-time can be distorted to do all kinds of cool stuff. The challenge has been in artificially creating distortions of sufficient magnitude to be measurable.

When in doubt, try Occam's razor: which is more likely, that they accidently discovered warping technology, or that they accidently recorded a faulty measurement which cause weird results?

Not to say it is not impossible for such a thing to happen, just saying that we should wait till better results are out and see it in action.

A NASA representative farted and accidentally created a wormhole to another galaxy.

That sentence is as good as the reports about the accidentally discovery of an warp bubble creating by an EM drive.

It's sad how low the level of the press has become. Every fart in the forest is treated like an big scientifical breakthrough.

:(

Media is trying to create hype, but the findings are obviously inconclusive.

One of the Eagleworks scientists is posting in the NASAspaceflight thread, though I don't really understand any of it, it's very technical stuff. If you're interested, he's "Star-Drive" (Paul March).

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=36313.2000

Is it possible that they're interacting with something else ? Maybe... some form of dark energy, dark matter or such (as it's literally present anywhere throughout the universe) ?

Dunno, they (those in links) mentions these things as well... I also thought about some paper that stated that there might exist more than one type of dark matter, and some dark matter are interacting with themselves, to create the usual matter-energy... I've saw some derivation of EFE, and they mention that the stress-energy tensor could be be filled with anything, so why not these exotic things ?

While i think its a little exagerated this wouldent be in the news if it didnt make any of the scientist take another look. Im going to keep my ears open and see what we find, wether its a fluke or life changing no reason we should ignor this.

lol i'll bet you all 100 bucks that this is just a fluke.

That's what they said before the first vaccume test.

- - - Updated - - -

"Dr. White cautioned me yesterday that I need to be more careful in declaring we've observed the first lab based space-time warp signal and rather say we have observed another non-negative results in regards to the current still in-air WFI tests, even though they are the best signals we've seen to date. It appears that whenever we talk about warp-drives in our work in a positive way, the general populace and the press reads way too much into our technical disclosures and progress."

-stardrive

They picked up something conclusively ODD, but they still have a lot of testing to prove whether or not the effect is caused by the drive or some foreign matter or something, to include doing tests in a lot of pure gasses to compare the results against this result and the nominal speed of light in atmosphere. Mind you, a small warp would explain how the persistent theories of how an EM drive motor functions by using virtual particles as ions in a super-fancy ion drive, as a warp would theoretically split the particle pairs for as long as they're within the warped region of space and would neatly annihilate one another once out of it in a burst of heat and radio/electric energy.