Tier One Space Center CONFIRMED: It's a barn!

Starwhip

This basically sums up my perspective. I'm fine with the concept, but the art direction is like Rayman goes to Space.

Maybe the next mod pack to be integrated into stock will be Wacky Wood Wares?

http://i.imgur.com/kTia8.png

Well it makes much more sense aesthetically with the nasty artstyle :(

Just look at the plane next to the tier one space center, looks like it's from a different planet.

I was expecting a small scale industrial look, pretty much mirroring the origins of human space centers. I don't think any space center ever started as a trailer park and a barn. This puts the nail in my Career mode coffin.

Something like this is what I imagined.

762825081-countdown-clock-launch-tower-kennedy-space-center-cape-canaveral.jpg

Omg... this is serious? Well, it does look good. Though I kinda expect to see Walter Kerman to come out of one of the trailers without pants on...

Also a bit shocked they can crank all this out, but still haven't gotten even a preview model for the girlbals out yet.

I like the idea, but as others have said, scale is important!

I'm hoping this is just the 1st pass and everything will be put into scale and have better textures, but as it won't be like this for very long if it's still so easy to get funds/science/rep, I won't mind too much :wink:

(EDIT: And this isn't as devisive as the first proposal for kXP, at least :) )

2nd EDIT: and as we've started posting pictures of early rocket experiments, here's Jack (John Whiteside) Parsons et al carrying out a rocket engine test in Aroyo Seco, Nevada:

250px-Rocket-motor-test-browse.jpg

They didn't even have any buildings at first, they just lugged what they needed out to the desert and started testing :wink:

Much later they did have a few buildings; this is the famed JPL in 1942:

220px-JPL1942.jpg

Edited by Cmdr. Arn1e

While I agree on the texture complaints, and the fact that they could spare a few polys on the buildings (even on my low end laptop) I disagree with the people crying out at the notion of Kerbals having thrown something together in order to start out... I mean with this the altitude record contract might actually be a challenge rather than the very first the that you do.

I don't think any space center ever started as a trailer park and a barn.

Look here for a few sample pics of rocket enthusiasts: http://pioneersofflight.si.edu/culture/rocket_societies. The german Verein für Raumschiffahrt had the best site of them all, a former army installation at the outskirts of Berlin (with actual bunkers!), but had to close shop when they couldn't pay the utility bill. So ramshackle-cheap is alright-ish.

However, the enthusiasts were struggling with launching rockets at all. The first one to go up, rather than sideways or BOOM!, was big news; and for all their aspirations, no hobbyist ever stood a chance of sending anything to space.

Given the starting technology in the game, your picture would be a fitting backdrop for the first space center.

We also have to keep in mind that real rocket programs, like the development of the V1+2, missile technilogy and early space rockets had monstrous funding behind them. The V-rockets alone had whole complexes for hundreds or thousands of people created just to develop basic rockets.

Compared, the kerbal using the cheap assets seems almost realistic.

I was expecting a small scale industrial look, pretty much mirroring the origins of human space centers. I don't think any space center ever started as a trailer park and a barn. This puts the nail in my Career mode coffin.

Presumably the existence of facilities that improve means that modders can make it look as different as they like.

Seriously I think you guys are missing it a bit. This is about the humble beginnings. When you open up its just going to be this ramshackle outpost for space rednecks to launch themselves into space. Its gonna be epic to build from that to the full modern setup.

There's a difference between the Humble Beginnings involving an oldish factory and 70's technology, and a full-blown Farmer Space Program, with Billy Clank Kerman the Cow Herder flinging fireworks into the edge of Flat Kerbin's sky.

Sorry if I sound agressive(read my signature), but seriously, they're overdoing it. I'm REALLY hoping that we can start out saves outside of Tier 1 buildings.

Not a fan. Completely jars with the visual style found in the rest of the game. The trailers are ok and expected, but the barn, telescope and silos all look too comical. The plane immediately looks out of place next to it all. I'd make the barn smaller and more shed-like, ditch the silos or at least give them better textures, and make the telescope look less steampunk and more like something your typical garden astronomer would put together. Make it look less like Redneck's do space, and more like an amateur astronomy/rocket club if you want a "humble beginnings" theme to the game start.

Ignoring the general style, the models and textures all look a bit rushed and "temporary" although that may be because they aren't yet finished.

Sorry to be so down on it, but it's best to give honest feedback so you guys can improve it and make KSP as great as possible!

You've put it exactly the way I feel about this.

Edited by iFlyAllTheTime

Im okay with these buildings but,I really think that we should start to game with unmanned modules,I mean Why are we sending kerbals to first space mission,we should send stayputnik.

The thing to remember is that the Chinese have had solid rocket technology for hundreds of years but but very few crazy enough to ride one and no other way to control a rocket. That's the same reason the Japanese had kamikaze planes: they had no other control system except human pilots. Kerbals start with no guidance system but are crazy enough to ride the rockets. Sas is just there to make it easier to fly, you can imagine the Kerbal being the Sas

The vibe i seem to be getting from this:

The official blog post: Mostly positive about this.

This Thread: Mostly negative about this.

Hopefully "they" don't get a mixed message.

As Fourjays said, it's best to give an honest feedback.

I first saw this thread but made it a point to post the same thing in the other one as well.

There's a difference between the Humble Beginnings involving an oldish factory and 70's technology, and a full-blown Farmer Space Program, with Billy Clank Kerman the Cow Herder flinging fireworks into the edge of Flat Kerbin's sky.

Sorry if I sound agressive(read my signature), but seriously, they're overdoing it. I'm REALLY hoping that we can start out saves outside of Tier 1 buildings.

Rockets Started in around 1920... this is what it looked like (minus the trailers). Though yes, in the 70s it was vastly different.