[1.0.4] Endurance (from Interstellar) [DISCONTINUED]

benjee10

It has to be considered though that even at the time of the Endurance mission, TARS (et al) was old equipment. It seems very unlikely that the Mini Rangers, being ~130 years older younger than TARS, would have a dedicated section for a robot of that type. It may be that TARS just used a second seat that happens to be able to fold flat.

Basically, it should be a 2 seater :P

Also, the normal Ranger needs to have a slightly tapered nose section instead of the completely square one that's in the mod now. It just looks awkward at the moment. I saw that Shryq had made some headway on that somewhere earlier in the thread, but it would be nice to see that come to fruition. Other than that, though, the mod is coming along nicely now :)

Edited by RogueMason

This thing is a beast and is amazing to fly, Benjee! The turns I could pull off were insane and the whole thing felt incredibly natural and fun to control. :D

My only complaint is that when you run into a wall there is practically no way to get out. I know you don't want to do a VTOL, and I'm also aware one could easily plop some engines on the bottom, but I just would like you to be aware of that.

[QUOTEarrow-10x10.png=benjee10;1822936]The 3.75m one fits one Ranger, the 5m will fitarrow-10x10.png 2.

Test fly the Mini-Ranger.

http://i.imgur.com/5CZOGTi.png

I've decided against VTOL capabilities. Since it's so small and light it doesn't need VTOL, it can just glide to a runway landing. Adding a VTOL engine just adds a huge extra layer of complexity to the parts and getting the balancearrow-10x10.png right etc. etc.

Still needs thrust effects/emissives.

Should the Mini-Ranger be a 1-seater or a 2-seater? I think it's a 2-seater in the movie, with TARS taking up one of the spots. Would you rather have it with 1 seat and a robot or 2 seatsarrow-10x10.png? IVA next.

Thanks! Very helpful.

The mini Ranger looks fantastic, benjee! The only thing that irks me is that there is no landing gear (?) and no space for docking port.

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah315/Yukon0009/screenshot1349_zpsecu899ws.png

The intention is that you use stock landing gear wheels on the mini Ranger and land it like a plane. I don't want to make custom landing gear as it ends up bloating the part count quite a bit. As for a docking port, I'm not sure where one would fit exactly - it's a small craft and there likely wouldn't be room for a crew tunnel to get to a docking port.

The Mini-Ranger is so CUTE! (Insert manly squeal here)

To be honest, I would love the rest of the mod if the Shuttle and Ranger both were fewer parts...

Thanks! I will work on cutting down the number of parts. I can probably integrate RCS into the Lander and Ranger, but there are some parts (engines, landing gear etc) that need to be separate or they won't work properly.

That mini-ranger is awesome, but are you planning on adding IVAs for the base modules and endurance modules?

IVAs will be added yes!

Mini ranger is great, but should have MechJeb integration due to the fact that the future rangers had a spot for a robot on board.

I'll see about adding a MM patch for that. We've decided to have the Mini Ranger be a two seater since that seems to make more sense but given how advanced it is I'm sure it'd have autopilot functions.

Benjee how do I install the small ranger file?

Drop the MINI_RANGER folder into the 'Endurance' parts directory. So your GameData should be like this:

GameData/Endurance/Parts/MINI_RANGER

Also, 100 pages! Thanks guys for your awesome support! We also just hit 7000 downloads!

Edited by benjee10

Lovely mod, Besides just SSTO-ing the ranger to the endurance do you have plans for maybe a rocket launch adapter for the ranger I didn't see any in the parts.

Edited for spelling, sorry first cup of coffee!

Lovely mod, Besides just SSTO-ing the ranger to the endurance do you have plans for maybe a rocket launch adapter for the ranger I didn't see any in the parts.

Edited for spelling, sorry first cup of coffee!

He said two posts ago that he was working on adaptors.

Also, the miniranger seems very tough....survived crashes harder than the impact tolerance but on land only.

I noticed that too. One time I bumped into a wall super fast and the Mini Ranger survived! Another time I accidentally touched the roof of the R&D building and it collapsed. :P

benjee10,

This is a wonderful mod, and looks really cool (KSP is just loading mow, with this mod installed for the first time). just a suggestion, maybe you could implement Lazarus. That would be awesome. I have a Lazarus mod, but it is very unstable.

benjee10,

This is a wonderful mod, and looks really cool (KSP is just loading (n)ow, with this mod installed for the first time). just a suggestion, maybe you could implement Lazarus. That would be awesome. I have a Lazarus mod, but it is very unstable.

Xxhansonmaxx made a Lazarus, check it out a few pages back. (Unless that's what you're talking about)

Anyways, I was wondering about RSS 6.4x, FAR, and RO configs for these wonderful crafts. I would do them myself, but. I have absolutely no idea how to do that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.