[0.25] NEBULA space engineering - EVA handrails pack

Krasimir

I got approval from the moderators on how to distribute this.

So I'll be releasing it on Friday, I think, when I get home from the hospital

Yep, as the module manager patch doesn't contain any content from the original addon, and can be provided with it as long as the original remains in unmodified form when distributed, it's allowed by copyright law to bundle the patch with the original work, the end user can apply the patch if they want, and still has the original.

Sidenote, the mods had to read a lot of copyright stuff, "fun"...

Yep, as the module manager patch doesn't contain any content from the original addon, and can be provided with it as long as the original remains in unmodified form when distributed, it's allowed by copyright law to bundle the patch with the original work, the end user can apply the patch if they want, and still has the original.

Sorry to give you so much work, and a big thank you for doing so.

I just got home from the hospital, hope to have a release out soon.

LGG

- - - Updated - - -

New version released:

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/929/EVA%20Handrails%20Pack%20Continued

License: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 (original mod) and CC-BY-ND

Edited by linuxgurugamer

So, what prompted the change of heart? I read the actual CC-BY-ND license and while it allows covered works to be included in collections, it says the other stuff has to be "independent" works, which a set of patches arguably aren't. Are they independent enough, or is this fair use?

• 1 month later...

... and this, folks, is why you use a "libre" type license. It means your users dont get screwed when you decide to stop playing the game or developing the mod. Anyone here ever plans to do an app, please choose your license carefully, and consider the reality that eventually you will likely get tired of working on it long before your users get tired of using it, so if you use a tightly controlled license that isnt for adaptation or sharing, then be sure to re-license it accordingly once you stop.

License: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 (original mod) and CC-BY-ND

You can't change the license of the orginal mod from CC-BY-ND 4.0 to CC BY-NC-SA 3.0.

Also you can't distribute this mod with any adaptations.

• 3 months later...
Throwing in my two cents, as I too would like to see the (legal) continued development and updating of this mod...

First, CC-BY-ND allows someone to include this work (unmodified, but see below), in another collection as long as it is properly attributed. So, linuxgurugamer could include this mod in a collection with new parts, as long as he attributes the original parts creation to the original author (and he is limited on the licensing of his collection, obviously).

Second, the CC-BY-ND license still allows for a certain amount of modification; specifically, a modification merely to work with a different format is allowable. From the Creative Commons FAQs: "Generally, a modification rises to the level of an adaptation under copyright law when the modified work is based on the prior work but manifests sufficient new creativity to be copyrightable" and "[for example] you may redistribute a book that uses the CC [URL="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/"]BY-NC-ND[/URL] license in print form when it was originally distributed online, even if you have had to make formatting changes to do so, as long as you do so in compliance with the other terms of the license". If linuxgurugamer is updating this mod to work with a different format (say, KSP 1.05, or especially KSP 1.1, which runs on a different engine), and linuxgurugamer's work is not in itself copyrightable, then it is permitted under the CC-BY-ND license.

I spoke with an expert in copyright law, and his opinion is that bug fixing or adding new functionality violates the license. Modifying a mod to work with a new version of the program that the author first developed it for is no different from modifying a mass-market paperback to be readable in hardcover large-print format, even though such a "derivative" requires reformatting the text for larger size, different page margins, and the like.

If someone were to update this mod to work with KSP 1.05 (without making any other changes to the mod), and someone else were to include this mod in a collection of EVA structures (attributing original authorship), this would not violate CC-BY-ND. Edited by eightiesboi

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/18/2015 at 8:39 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

I got approval from the moderators on how to distribute this.

So I'll be releasing it on Friday, I think, when I get home from the hospital

there are a whole bunch of station parts from various people which are covered in cosmetic but non-grabbable railings (for instance, CxAerospace Station Parts Pack). i'd mod them to be grabbable in an instant, if i could only figure out how it's defined. there's nothing i can see in the .cfg files for squad's ladders or your railings which mark them as grabbable.

is it buried in the .mu file, perhaps?

34 minutes ago, MeCripp said:

You mean just grab like a ladder thats set in the MU but unity but not sure why you couldn't also set it up to grab them with KIS and mount then on other parts ?

bT5NCGV.png

this space station part has yellow railings which are cosmetic only. they are not grabbable during EVA. i'd like to make them grabbable. i'm asking whether it's possible through .cfg file editing, or if it can only be achieved by modifying the .mu file.

43 minutes ago, speedwaystar said:

bT5NCGV.png

this space station part has yellow railings which are cosmetic only. they are not grabbable during EVA. i'd like to make them grabbable. i'm asking whether it's possible through .cfg file editing, or if it can only be achieved by modifying the .mu file.

That would have to be done in unity they would have to add the tag & colliders like a ladder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is unfortunately broken in v1.1 - I can't get a GRAB message to appear when I move my kerbal over to any of the handles. I think this is due to the modeling - the log gives a "Triggers on concave MeshColliders are not supported" error for all of them on model load.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

ok starting an attempt at making 3d mesh files for KSP.  I have no idea what KSP needs, so this is going to be an adventure.

I will start very basic and we can go from there.  here is the first part...  the basic ladder rung.   I will now have to figure out all the scaling and decide how much impact the part has on FPS etc.  we will need to come up with some budget for a part.  so that any single part will not exceed the number of faces, vertices, etc.  this can be scaled on how common the part is.  for instance this ladder rung will need to be very cheap on the GPU as you can end up using many of these on a single craft.

Screenshot%202016-11-09%2003.14.13.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...