[1.10.1+] Contract Configurator [v1.30.5] [2020-10-05]

nightingale

35 minutes ago, inigma said:

@nightingale I was thinking of ways to get around the Squad EngineType limitation.

Essentially for my airspeed contracts I need a way to limit a craft to only have engines that use LiquidFuel and IntakeAir. I need a check that does not pass on a craft that has an engine that uses SolidFuel or Oxidizer.

So.. what about adding PROPELLANT to the PartValidation parameter MODULE node tree? Enhancement?

<snip>

I think what you're looking for is HasResource or HasResourceCapacity.

13 minutes ago, nightingale said:

I think what you're looking for is HasResource or HasResourceCapacity.

Unfortunately I tested these both last night extensively, to no avail with an SRB. Setting min and max to 0.0 and 0.1 and different combinations.  SRBs would pass check everytime. I think it's looking to pass when checking for a fuel container and not an engine somehow...

1 hour ago, inigma said:

Unfortunately I tested these both last night extensively, to no avail with an SRB. Setting min and max to 0.0 and 0.1 and different combinations.  SRBs would pass check everytime. I think it's looking to pass when checking for a fuel container and not an engine somehow...

Supposed to work - raise a bug. :)

25 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@nightingaleAre you going to be able to merge in the log changes I did?  Reminder, this was a rework based on your comments of my original attempt, this is in line with what you wanted.

I just haven't had time to look at it yet.

18 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I know the feeling.

OK, just wanted to make sure it didn't fall through the cracks.

Saw your comments, I replied on GitHub.

Before I do another commit (I don't want to waste your time), I'll wait to see any replies.  I've already implemented the changes I mentioned in my comments, so if you want me to commit for you to look at, just say so.

46 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Saw your comments, I replied on GitHub.

Before I do another commit (I don't want to waste your time), I'll wait to see any replies.  I've already implemented the changes I mentioned in my comments, so if you want me to commit for you to look at, just say so.

Just commit and I'll take a look this afternoon.

I had this really interesting idea...

In Career there really isn't a way to repeatably make money on the grind - hence why I initially started with a repeating contract paying funds for regular passenger delivery to the KSC Island by aircraft (leading to the magic that is now GAP). 

Today I was wondering if something similar could be done with simply mining ore and returning it to KSC.

Repeatable Kerbin Mining Contracts. Specifically starting with a simple contract requiring a player to mine a certain amount of ore from a certain spot on Kerbin (land and under the sea),  and convert it to other resources, and requiring the finished product to be received by the Kerbal Space Center, for funds.

Edited by inigma

22 minutes ago, inigma said:

I had this really interesting idea...

In Career there really isn't a way to repeatably make money on the grind - hence why I initially started with a repeating contract paying funds for regular passenger delivery to the KSC Island by aircraft (leading to the magic that is now GAP). 

Today I was wondering if something similar could be done with simply mining ore and returning it to KSC.

Repeatable Kerbin Mining Contracts. Specifically starting with a simple contract requiring a player to mine a certain amount of ore from a certain spot on Kerbin (land and under the sea),  and convert it to other resources, and requiring the finished product to be received by the Kerbal Space Center, for funds.

Wouldn't be the first time the idea has come up (not that it makes it a bad idea).  It's one that I'd considered doing at one point, but really wanted to see KMPI get finished to really make things shine (@riocrokite, we're patiently waiting).  Don't get me wrong though - I have no intention of working on a mod like that any time soon - so if it's something you're interested in, go for it.

Instead of ore, you can make up a resource (or use an appropriate CRP resource).  Making up a new one might give you some flexibility in specifying where you can get it (eg. only in Eve's oceans).  Actually, I don't think CRP specifies the "Regolith" configs (not sure if that's what we call them now that it's all stock) that define where resources can be mined - so if you use a CRP resource it's just a question of not doing anything that stomps on other mods.

You could also use multiple different resources with different values (you get the cost of the resource back when you recover it).  That way you can have ore coming back to you at 1,000 funds/ton and unobtanium coming in a 1,000,000 funds/ton (no idea what the real recovery value of ore is).

I also like the idea of being able to use mined resources to make stuff, but it would need to actually feed into something to make for interesting gameplay.  Actually, I do remember @RoverDude saying stuff about doing something like that with Extraplanetary Launchpads + MKS, but it's not something I've kept up with (this was at least 6 months ago, so those features could be old stuff in MKS by now).

Anyway, there's definitely a lot of opportunities on the mining side of things for contracts/career that hasn't been explored by anyone yet.

7 minutes ago, nightingale said:

Wouldn't be the first time the idea has come up (not that it makes it a bad idea).  It's one that I'd considered doing at one point, but really wanted to see KMPI get finished to really make things shine (@riocrokite, we're patiently waiting).  Don't get me wrong though - I have no intention of working on a mod like that any time soon - so if it's something you're interested in, go for it.

Instead of ore, you can make up a resource (or use an appropriate CRP resource).  Making up a new one might give you some flexibility in specifying where you can get it (eg. only in Eve's oceans).  Actually, I don't think CRP specifies the "Regolith" configs (not sure if that's what we call them now that it's all stock) that define where resources can be mined - so if you use a CRP resource it's just a question of not doing anything that stomps on other mods.

You could also use multiple different resources with different values (you get the cost of the resource back when you recover it).  That way you can have ore coming back to you at 1,000 funds/ton and unobtanium coming in a 1,000,000 funds/ton (no idea what the real recovery value of ore is).

I also like the idea of being able to use mined resources to make stuff, but it would need to actually feed into something to make for interesting gameplay.  Actually, I do remember @RoverDude saying stuff about doing something like that with Extraplanetary Launchpads + MKS, but it's not something I've kept up with (this was at least 6 months ago, so those features could be old stuff in MKS by now).

Anyway, there's definitely a lot of opportunities on the mining side of things for contracts/career that hasn't been explored by anyone yet.

Was thinking of simply a contract that checks the following:

go to location
hasresource = certain amount
go to location
recover.

I might test one tonight. 

@nightingale I did a dry run of an ore contract. currently I am limited in only creating contracts asking a player to launch a craft with ore capacity, and requiring they fill it up somehow, and return it to a designated area at KSC. It's crude, but it works. I have in mind to use it in GAP to require a player to drill up ore and deliver it as air cargo to KSC Island for GAP 1.2.

I am unable to direct the player to pick up ore at a specific location though via Waypoint Generator, simply because I can't predict where a specific random location has 2.5% or more ore which will then allow a drill to function.

Is there an expression in the wiki that I could use to create a specific waypoint with a random waypoint near it that has a certain percentage of ore and whether it is above ground or under the water - or are we looking at a whole new enhancement set and possibly new contract pack?

As a work around, I can at least require a visit waypoint parameter to have the player within 3000m of the waypoint, but this is hoping that deposits of 2.5% or more ore are nearby else the contract will never complete.

Edited by inigma

40 minutes ago, inigma said:

@nightingale I did a dry run of an ore contract. currently I am limited in only creating contracts asking a player to launch a craft with ore capacity, and requiring they fill it up somehow, and return it to a designated area at KSC. It's crude, but it works. I have in mind to use it in GAP to require a player to drill up ore and deliver it as air cargo to KSC Island for GAP 1.2.

I am unable to direct the player to pick up ore at a specific location though via Waypoint Generator, simply because I can't predict where a specific random location has 2.5% or more ore which will then allow a drill to function.

Is there an expression in the wiki that I could use to create a specific waypoint with a random waypoint near it that has a certain percentage of ore and whether it is above ground or under the water - or are we looking at a whole new enhancement set and possibly new contract pack?

As a work around, I can at least require a visit waypoint parameter to have the player within 3000m of the waypoint, but this is hoping that deposits of 2.5% or more ore are nearby else the contract will never complete.

Whole new enhancement set.  The data is there and is fairly accessible as far as I know, but I've never personally looked at it.

I just wanted you to know @nightingale that for now I stopped developing kmpi (not enough skills for developing mining mini-game as I would like it to see). Hence my roadmap is as follows: 1) vintage rockets (expanded career that covers interesting aspects (forgotten dead-ends) of rocketry before nuclear propulsion or advanced concepts like ion etc) possibly with basic fuel ISRU, then finish stork delivery system (delivery of rovers and mobile bases), then hopefully enhance MFS (with 1.1 wheels mechanics and other stuff), then MFS ISRU that covers only fuels (as well as metallic fuels) and then finally (if it ever happens) ISRU for building stuff off world.

13 hours ago, nightingale said:

Whole new enhancement set.  The data is there and is fairly accessible as far as I know, but I've never personally looked at it.

No worries. I'll post a simple ore mining contract in GAP for an aircraft cargo mission as a test case for others to build from if desired. Once I have GAP in a stable long-term relationship (GAP 2.0), I want to develop a simple Contract Pack for USi Sounding Rockets (hats off to @RoverDude for a nice mod), and then I'll look into developing a Mining contract pack if no one has yet and revisit possible enhancement ideas at that point.

Edited by inigma

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

GAH!!... What happened to all the formatting and table listing the contracts in the 2nd post??... Its all blank except for the links.... To read any of it, i have to "select all" to highllight the "hidden" text... ???

The table was a maintenance nightmare in the new forums.  As for needing to highlight....?  I'm guessing you're doing something with the forum theme (like making a black background)?  Anyway, the text should've been on auto, if it wasn't I'm going to blame the forum conversion.  I've changed it over now - we'll see if that fixes it.

^^
Yup... I have a very modified forum theme... :)
I knew that was the issue, as 80% or more of ALL mod release thread OP's are all buggered up in some way for me since the Great Switch...

I just wanted to tease you a bit about it...lol :)

Tho I DID much prefer the table, but I completely understand why that had to be changed...

Here's what the post looks like thru MY eyes...lol :

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

^^
Yup... I have a very modified forum theme... :)
I knew that was the issue, as 80% or more of ALL mod release thread OP's are all buggered up in some way for me since the Great Switch...

I just wanted to tease you a bit about it...lol :)

Tho I DID much prefer the table, but I completely understand why that had to be changed...

Here's what the post looks like thru MY eyes...lol :

Yup...  tried changing the text color to something else and back to "default"...  if that doesn't fix it, then I guess you've gotta live with it. :)