[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Why are you using a 56 Kb/s modem in this day and age? I'm not going to split up the textures from the main download as that would just lead to thousands of question of why the planets aren't loading correctly. I'll put a separate download without the textures somewhere in the OP though from now on, for people like you though.

Thanks for making the fix. With the standard medium textures the mod is not memory intensive at all. Only with the high-res textures will KSP's RAM use increase with 100s of MBs.

With your computer it should not need texture compression to even work. It's better than mine and I can run it with the high-res textures.

I can too, along with Stock Revamp, FAR, DRE, and my own planet pack which actually uses more memory than yours because it adds more planets.

And that was on my 7-year-old computer that I just replaced!

Thanks, that explains everything I need to know. I'll take a look at what Regolith does automatically and where I need to add more custom stuff to make the moons/planets more realistic/unique.

Regolith automatically adds resources to all planets, moons and asteroids. If you want I can make a config for your mod. Can be done in 30 minutes.

- Sarnus, Urlum and Neidon are gas/ice giants, like Jool, so they can only hold Water and Karbonite.

- Hale is a captured asteroid (I think), so Hale has no resources.

- Nothing special for Ovok.

- Slate used to have an atmosphere thousands of years ago, so it can have Karbonite, Minerals, Ore and Substrate. The 'Seabed' and 'Floodplains' biomes can have Water that is under the crust of Slate.

- Because Plock replaces Eeloo it will have Karborundum.

Eeloo already is in the Regolith API, so no extra resources.

- - - Updated - - -

I updated my Regolith configs (v6) to add resources to Tal. DOWNLOAD.

Changelog v6:

• Added Water to Tal (because it's covered in ice).
  • Added MetallicOre to Tal's Impact Basin.

Features:

• Adds CarbonDioxide to the atmosphere of Tekto. (Mod support for DunaDirect)
  • Adds Karbonite and Water to the atmosphere of Sarnus, Tekto, Urlum and Neidon.
  • Adds Karbonite to the SOI of Sarnus, Tekto, Urlum and Neidon.
  • Adds Karbonite, MetallicOre, Minerals, Substrate and Uraninite to Slate (Crustal).
  • Adds Karborundum to Tekto and Plock (Crustal).
  • Adds MetallicOre to Tal's Impact Basin (Crustal).
  • Adds Water to Tal (Crustal).
  • Adds Water to Slate's Seabed, Floodplains and Poles (Crustal).
  • Prevents crustal resources for Sarnus, Urlum and Neidon.

Edited by Olympic1

How does this mod play with remote tech? Ive been watching development and wanting to try it out with the awesome 1.4 update, but I run remotetech and TAC, so Im probably looking at a series of unmanned probe missions. Are the outer planets still reachable using the longest range remote tech antennas (400gm)?

How does this mod play with remote tech? Ive been watching development and wanting to try it out with the awesome 1.4 update, but I run remotetech and TAC, so Im probably looking at a series of unmanned probe missions. Are the outer planets still reachable using the longest range remote tech antennas (400gm)?

With that satellite it will maybe work up to Neidon, but it will be tight.

It will sure work by Urlum.

You'll probably need to set up some sort of High Kerbol relay system, Perhaps putting a few High Range sats around Duna and have a few more chasing it would be a good thing to do. You can then attach 2 400gm antennas to the side, one to track the probe, and the other to talk to the other satelites. Maybe put one more so it can talk to kerbin (when it comes into range of them). The only problem then would be keeping it properly powered, so solar panels and thermal generators will be your friend. I myself have to think of what I'm going to do, because I have the Stella pack by Agustus... and that adds another star system! so Either I'll have to make a part (which I have now freeking clue how to do) or learn how to edit configs, and make the 400gm antenna into something like a 100Tm (Trillion Meters) antenna... other than that its gotta be all manned missions (I'm waiting for TAC to be official .90... my favorite life support mod~)

So the latest version works well for me, except for one issue: Kerbal Engineer fails when I travel outside Kerbin's SOI.

Here's the log file in case anyone can help with the error. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B33XoLq9J0KfMEo0UEZkTjFKM1U/view?usp=sharing

Happens around 13:54

Edited by spaceman_spff

You'll probably need to set up some sort of High Kerbol relay system, Perhaps putting a few High Range sats around Duna and have a few more chasing it would be a good thing to do. You can then attach 2 400gm antennas to the side, one to track the probe, and the other to talk to the other satelites. Maybe put one more so it can talk to kerbin (when it comes into range of them). The only problem then would be keeping it properly powered, so solar panels and thermal generators will be your friend. I myself have to think of what I'm going to do, because I have the Stella pack by Agustus... and that adds another star system! so Either I'll have to make a part (which I have now freeking clue how to do) or learn how to edit configs, and make the 400gm antenna into something like a 100Tm (Trillion Meters) antenna... other than that its gotta be all manned missions (I'm waiting for TAC to be official .90... my favorite life support mod~)

Seems like there's a need for an extreme range RT2 compatible antenna with this pack, 1.6 maybe? :D

Power shouldn't be a problem, I've already got a 0.25 Near-future long range relay ship that will work perfectly for that purpose, once Near future finishes updating to 0.90

Ultimately Id like to construct a self-sufficient manned interplanetary craft using TAC and MKS/OKS, but that's several weeks of work and Im just now switching over to 0.90. So I'll probably send probes first.

Fixed it for me :) Thanks for the quick update.

Have you tried running it with OpenGL? When I first tried OPM, EVE and Astronomers Pack in KSP x86 I ran out of RAM even with aggressive ATM after a few minutes in game. With OpenGL I can play OPM with highres-textures and Astronomers Pack with high/mediumres textures without ATM.

Thank you for the response. I am looking into tweaking in the NVidia settings for my vid card. I just know that there is no way my pc is being RAM-maxed in the 64bit ksp. I don't use the aggressive texture reduction as of now. I have tried running this mod in 32bit, and 64 bit clean installs of ksp, so as you mentioned it is probably a hiccup somewhere else, like graphics settings, that neither ksp likes when trying this mod. When running 32bit, with my mods I use, no issues. When running 64bit with my mods, no issues. When running clean 32/64bit without mods, no issues. That is with full graphics at max. Only when I install this mod.

I'm going to ensure OpenGl, etc, is set correctly. I'm just stumped on this, and it doesn't make sense to me. I'll keep trouble-shooting and see what I can find out.

Thanks again

Why are you using a 56 Kb/s modem in this day and age? I'm not going to split up the textures from the main download as that would just lead to thousands of question of why the planets aren't loading correctly. I'll put a separate download without the textures somewhere in the OP though from now on, for people like you though.

Thanks for making the fix. With the standard medium textures the mod is not memory intensive at all. Only with the high-res textures will KSP's RAM use increase with 100s of MBs.

With your computer it should not need texture compression to even work. It's better than mine and I can run it with the high-res textures.

I agree. Especially when having tested it in both 64bit ksp, and 32bit, with no other mods installed. I am checking some graphics settings on my end, and some other possibilities. As of right now, I'm stumped on this one though.

Thanks for the reply.

Hm... when did you download the config files? Because the old download link (also) leads to the new patch (the one for OPM 1.4), so maybe the issue lies there.

I just tested it on 1.4 and fail to reproduce contract weirdness or crashes, the things modifying contracts in my install being contract configurator as well as scansat/RT packs.

Try it again with OPM 1.4, if you can reproduce it reliably, I will need some logs, but I cannot promise anything. Usually, things that freeze the game throw errors before the game itself gets unresponsive.

1.It should not require to be the sole mod, but you dont have much to work with in windows 32bit to begin with.

2.Yes, try that. ATM's efficiency is unparalleled, so that is one of the few things I can imagine helping you.

3.Using 32bit Ksp, you get a stable client which crashes upon reaching 3-3.5GB, using 64bit you do not even get a stable client (though you might make it over 3.5GB, yay!)

Also the RealSolarSystem plugin is disabled on the 64bit win ksp version I think.

4.You are right in that it is strange to happen without any other mods installed, but looking at my experience with playing KSP on windows I cannot say it is impossible. Now, I am not that great at reading logfiles myself, but this does look like a memory issue to me, so yes, try ATM.

5.64bit windows is highly unstable, but 64bit linux is not - that means yes, if you played there, memory would not be the limiting factor. For me, it is CPU and graphics card performance now, but I run a gazillion of mods and my pc is not the best.

Oh, and Eleusis La Arwall suggested opengl mode, that is a very good suggestion. In fact, the only way I ever got KSP loading at all on windows in the last few months was with that option.

I'm sorry, I must not have added that my windows is not 32 bit. I will post my specs again, I use win7 64bit:

PC Specs:

Processor:Intel i7-4820 Quad Core/Hyper-thread 3.7Ghz-3.9Ghz(auto overclock/boost).

RAM:16Gig 1600 Mhz.

VideoCard:Nvidia GTX 780 3 Gig.

HardDrive:Solid State 256 Gig(+3 1 Tb drives for back-up).

SoundBlaster Recon Sound Card.

NIC Wired/Wireless Card.

Liquid Cooling.

I'm not positive if this issue is due to the Outer Planets mod, but I figured I'd post it here in case it helps anyone out...

After installing this mod to a pre-existing game, I ran into the "NaN black screen Kraken" error. I had built a probe with plans to send it to Neidon. I burned from Kerbin to intercept Neidon (in 21 years :P) but as soon as my probe left Kerbin's SOI, my screen would go black and my altimeter would sometimes also show NaN. The only way to fix the issue would be to shut down the game completely and revert from an old save. This would happen every time I tried again. The lame thing is that since KSP doesn't actually crash, I didn't have an error report to look over afterwards.

I am running a fair number of mods, so I did some research by uninstalling them one at a time to see if they were causing the issue. I tried it without Kerbal Alarm Clock, ScanSat, and Kerbal Engineer Redux (they seemed like the most likely culprits to me), but each time the issue would still occur.

Then I thought that maybe it was messing with KSP because I was sending the probe so far out. So I then tried reloading the probe and changing it's burn to instead intercept Jool. Strangely, the issue still occurred. I then reverted, deleted the probe, and changed my focus to one of my other ships that I had built and sent towards Jool. These ships were built prior to the problematic probe, but after installing the Outer Planets mod. Sadly, shifting my focus to these ships caused the same error.

So then I got really sad, and sat in my room in the dark to bemoan how unfair it should be that I am the only one who appears to be having this issue.

Then I realized that I couldn't just give up on it; not when there were still things I could try out. After doing some research on the "NaN black screen Kraken" glitch, it seemed like it was usually brought about by mods that modify planet locations/sizes/orbits, specifically when a ship is unexpectedly in the SOI of more than one body... or something.

So I got back on my original, heavily-modded build of KSP and opened up a new game in sandbox mode. I built a big ol' probe and sent it directly to Sarnus. I left the SOI of Kerbin without any issues. I went back and forth between the space center and my ship, time warped, and did everything in my power to try and recreate the error, but luckily everything went fine. 4 in-game years later, my probe was orbiting Sarnus, flying through the rings, and making fly-bys of Hale. It was flippin' glorious!

TL:DR - Installing this mod to an existing save may cause black screen issues. I've since started a fresh game (with a bunch of other mods installed) and have yet to encounter the problem.

I may have a related issue that only occures with Kerbal Engineer (1.0.14.1) installed. I burnt for an encounter with Sarnus from Kerbin and made a quicksave afterwards. When I leave Kerbins SOI with Kerbal Engineer installed the debugging log keeps spamming errors. When I focus Sarnus from map-view the screen turns black but the HUD is still visible and the game gets very slow. By pressing "m" again I can see my vessel but no skybox or other bodys. I can go back to the SpaceCenter and everythings seems normal except there is still no skybox or other bodys. While time-warping I can see the day-night cycle by the brightness of the terrain around but no Kerbol at all. In the tracking station everything is black except the HUD. Back in the mainmenu I see the skybox but when I resume the game again no skybox.

After a game-restart everything is normal again. But continuing or loading the flight out of Kerbins SOI results in the "NaN black screen Kraken".

When I delete Kerbal Engineer and continue the flight in interstellar space the "NaN black screen Kraken" also occures. But loading the first quicksave within Kerbins SOI and then leaving Kerbins SOI works fine without any errors.

I saw a few pictures in the thread with Kerbal Engineer running and I'd like to know if anyone else had this issue? I'm running Windows 7 x64 with KSP x86 btw.

I keep exploring without Kerbal Engineer for the moment and maybe this is helpful to others.

Edit:

So the latest version works well for me, except for one issue: Kerbal Engineer fails when I travel outside Kerbin's SOI.

Here's the log file in case anyone can help with the error. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B33XoLq9J0KfMEo0UEZkTjFKM1U/view?usp=sharing

Happens around 13:54

Sorry saw the post too late :blush:

Edited by Eleusis La Arwall

Similar issue here, though not a kraken (yet). What helped shut the debug log up was deactivating any form of biome readout from kerbal engineer, I have not tested SOI transitions so far though.

Oh, and regarding remote tech, modifying the antenna range can easily be done via MM file.

Edited by Tellion

Since I'm no longer alone in my "black screen Kraken" issue, I may as well update the thread with what has happened since my last post.

My tl;dr didn't turn out to be correct. Even with a fresh game, I did again eventually run into the the black screen issue. I decided that it must be the Outer Planets mod, so I deleted it and went back to playing as usual. Then yesterday, I experienced the black screen issue again, without OPM installed! So I was like, "Fine! I'm re-installing the new OPM and I don't care what happens!" After reading through this thread a bit, I noticed the Texture Replacer issue that others were experiencing, so I added Tellion's fix to my TR default config and hoped that it would fix my black screen issue. I'm not too far in my fresh 1.4 OPM game, but so far the issue hasn't occurred.

I had replicated my black screen issues a whole bunch back in 1.3, and here's a few things that would trigger it:

-Traveling out of Kerbin's SOI, bound for a far out planet (per my first post)

-Turning on my Karbonite detector while orbiting Jool

-Activating my Karbonite collector while orbiting Jool (different ship and game than when the detector issue triggered, FYI)

I should also note that even when I would delete my Kerbal Engineer Redux, I would still experience the issue... although sometimes it did prevent it... just not every time.

So yeah, sorry this isn't more helpful, but hopefully someone smarter than I can use the info to figure out what's going on. :)

I'm sorry, I must not have added that my windows is not 32 bit. I will post my specs again, I use win7 64bit:

You actually had that included, but what I would like to know is if you are running KSP in 64 or in 32bit. Having F:\GameInstalls\KSP64bt\KSP.exe as your install path suggests its 64bit, and win 64bit KSP is quite frankly an unstable mess. Many mod makers deliberately disable their plugins on 64bit ksp for good reasons, and almost none of them offer support for it.

@lancejammer

What texture replacer did should not cause krakens, it would rather prevent any outer planets from getting set up at all.

That you had the issue without this mod also suggests a different cause to it, so it would be best to follow the usual troubleshooting procedure - that is, find out what will reliably reproduce it, then subtract mods until that specific situation does not occur again. That is kind of annoying, but I bet krakens are as well ._. Also, check your logs for any specific mods mentioned.

Hey guys,

I know that tygoo7 has already done a cloud .cfg for these planets, but I was already working on my own because I wanted to add the atmospheric scattering to these great worlds. I'm not trying to step on tygoo7 in any way, I'm simply offering my own alternative to include the atmospheres. It's a work in progress at the moment, but if people will be interested in these then I will upload the .cfg when I'm done. It's to work with Astronomer's fantastic Interstellar. I'm sure he'll do his own pack for these worlds eventually, but in the mean time I'm creating my own through his Interstellar mod.

So far I have done Neidon's atmosphere and I now just need to tweak the clouds and place the auroras. Here is my work so far:

UtQ0DE4l.jpg

fos5uDol.jpg

kUIur6Ul.jpg

Would people be interested if I put a MM config in the next update that changes the range of the longest range antennas in RemoteTech and AntennaRange to something that works for the mod's larger distances? Maybe integration of the cloud mods too?

Hey guys,

I know that tygoo7 has already done a cloud .cfg for these planets, but I was already working on my own because I wanted to add the atmospheric scattering to these great worlds. I'm not trying to step on tygoo7 in any way, I'm simply offering my own alternative to include the atmospheres. It's a work in progress at the moment, but if people will be interested in these then I will upload the .cfg when I'm done. It's to work with Astronomer's fantastic Interstellar. I'm sure he'll do his own pack for these worlds eventually, but in the mean time I'm creating my own through his Interstellar mod.

So far I have done Neidon's atmosphere and I now just need to tweak the clouds and place the auroras. Here is my work so far:

http://i.imgur.com/UtQ0DE4l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fos5uDol.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kUIur6Ul.jpg

Amazing. If you have spare time to help with an upcoming moon, PM me.

Would people be interested if I put a MM config in the next update that changes the range of the longest range antennas in RemoteTech and AntennaRange to something that works for the mod's larger distances? Maybe integration of the cloud mods too?

I would for sure, it would be a bit easier than trying to set up a relay network that orbited Kerbol. If anything you could use the Planets as your networks, the only problem would be Kerbin being on one side of the solar system, and Eeloo (now the farthest... and really, really, REALLY far away) being on the opposite and at its highest point, and your midway relay network being in orbit around Duna, which is behind kerbin... it would make thinks a bit difficult when sending a probe out to little o'l Eeloo

That would be great. There's room right now in the antenna progression, the last two are 350gm and 400gm...both reach basically across the entire stock Kerbol system, but the folding one is somewhat lighter.

Changing the Commtech 1 to 250-300gm and boosting the folding GX-128 to something like 5-600 might differentiate the two a little more, and make reaching the farthest outer planets a big less daunting.

Hey guys,

http://i.imgur.com/UtQ0DE4l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fos5uDol.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kUIur6Ul.jpg

Nice work! I'll probably stick to my config since I wanted to keep the planets to blend in a bit better with the Jool in Interstellar because it in Interstellar Astronomer actually didn't do any atmosphere config for Jool like in the Oblivion pack so I stuck with the style it was going for there. It's nice to have different options for the players though. :)

Amazing. If you have spare time to help with an upcoming moon, PM me.

I could help too if you want. :D

Nice work! I'll probably stick to my config since I wanted to keep the planets to blend in a bit better with the Jool in Interstellar because it in Interstellar Astronomer actually didn't do any atmosphere config for Jool like in the Oblivion pack so I stuck with the style it was going for there. It's nice to have different options for the players though. :)

I could help too if you want. :D

I was on mobile so I couldn't find your other post but I'm happy to involve the both of you. I'm really terrible with getting EVE config and RSS atmospherefromground settings to the concepts I have in my head.

As above, I would greatly appreciate assistance if either of you are keen and willing.

That would be great. There's room right now in the antenna progression, the last two are 350gm and 400gm...both reach basically across the entire stock Kerbol system, but the folding one is somewhat lighter.

Changing the Commtech 1 to 250-300gm and boosting the folding GX-128 to something like 5-600 might differentiate the two a little more, and make reaching the farthest outer planets a big less daunting.

If they previously reached across the stock Kerbol system, then the farthest needs to be around 800 Gm to do the same. That's how far the Pluto analog is out now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.