[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Alright, I've used this in the past and love it.  I'm on 1.1.3, Kopernicus 1.1.3 (Along with OPM, installed from CKAN).

So, Sarnus, Urlum, and Neidon show up (but for some reason, never appear to be lit by the sun), but none of their moons do, nor does Plock.

I looked in the log file, and only see one complaint about Plock related to CustomAsteroids.  Another example, Thatmo, searching the log didn't show any errors.  So I don't see anything obvious in the logs that might indicate what's going wrong.

I have tons of other mods.

Ideas?

Cheers,

-BS

4 hours ago, blu3wolf said:

Sadly not so easy once some mods are added. KCT and RT conspire to make this less than possible :(

Yep! I haven't picked up those two mods. It's really that the tech tree doesn't align with human history. Long distance comms and RTGs were available in the 70's

Alright, I tried from scratch with a clean 1.1.3, downloaded OPM and dependencies from CKAN.  I added MechJeb and the suggested NearFuture stuff, but that's it, otherwise completely stock.  Same issue, so I don't think it's with a mod incompatibility.

No moons, no Plock, and without the extra mods I had before I tried a clean install, I get this weird texture thing going on.

EDQxx2T.png

I'm on Linux, 1.1.3, so far stock with what I've just listed above.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

-BS

18 hours ago, Markus1002 said:

For some reason, the new planets don't show up in science archives.

I see them in both my career and sandbox science save (even after exiting and returning)... although they all seem to have Jool's texture. Sometimes when I expand them I can make the proper textures show but the majority of the time they are textured the same a Jool

Edited by Gaiiden

Guys, I don't know but all my the OPM planets or even the Sigma Pluto-Charon, are missing their textures, they are all brown striped things, then I remove all mods except them, it worked, PLS HELP.

Mods used:

ambientlightsadjustment

aviation lights

b9 mods

bahasp

benji's lightup pod

cacteye

dmagical

e.v.e

hullcam

hyperedit

mechjeb2

korpernicus (ofc)

planetary base system

proced fairings with the faring for everythings written and the one with only the word.

realistic atmosphere

veselmover

tarsier tech

module manager 2.6.25

1 hour ago, Seth Kerman said:

Guys, I don't know but all my the OPM planets or even the Sigma Pluto-Charon, are missing their textures, they are all brown striped things, then I remove all mods except them, it worked, PLS HELP.

Mods used:

ambientlightsadjustment

aviation lights

b9 mods

bahasp

benji's lightup pod

cacteye

dmagical

e.v.e

hullcam

hyperedit

mechjeb2

korpernicus (ofc)

planetary base system

proced fairings with the faring for everythings written and the one with only the word.

realistic atmosphere

veselmover

tarsier tech

module manager 2.6.25

little tip: find out the minimun amount of mods that allows you to reproduce the issue, noone will take a look when you have dozens of mods installed

18 hours ago, bioman3 said:

I have a problem

the textures for all my gas giants are broken

the image didn't upload correctly but sarnus is doing this aswell

how do i fix this?

Hmm... I believe I've seen this particular issue before. Could be a simple problem such as installing the mod incorrectly, but iirc it could also be a problem with your graphics drivers. I believe @Thomas P. said something about this, but I don't remember where.

On 7/26/2016 at 2:02 PM, bioman3 said:

I have a problem

the textures for all my gas giants are broken

the image didn't upload correctly but sarnus is doing this aswell

how do i fix this?

On 7/27/2016 at 2:25 AM, Seth Kerman said:

I had this exact problem, all my planets looked exactly like bioman3's. I spent days trying to figure out what the problem was and I never did find out what it might have been, but I believe it was an issue with the graphics card drivers in my laptop not being able to read certain types of texture file formats. I was using an Nvidia GeForce card, running with proprietary drivers on Linux Mint with Bumblebee and Primus. On my desktop with the same configuration without Primus, it works fine, so I believe the problem is somewhere in the switchable graphics. If you find a solution please let me know.

Anyway, I have a question. How does one actually get to these planets with kerballed missions? Using MechJeb and Hyperedit to plot courses it appears the fastest way is to slingshot off of Eve, although I have no idea how to do that. Jool and Sarnus are doable within a three year voyage, but Urlum is saying 37 years and Neidon is saying 86. Starting from Kerbin gives a transit duration of 4 years to Sarnus, 10 to Urlum, and 23 to Neidon. I bet that could be reduce with ridiculously complicated gravity assists, but I'm wondering how anyone else manages this with life support mods. I use USI-LS which requires habitation space, and that much space would be a monstrous vessel of hundreds of tons to keep kerbals happy for decades. Is that just what it takes or are there better answers to this?

To @ruiluth, @bioman3 and everyone else having the following issue.

(Screenshot was provided by @bioman3)

First off, try running KSP with only Kopernicus (and it's dependencies ofc) and OPM. If the problem is gone, add your mods one by one until the problem re-appears, then post on the main Kopernicus thread to inform the Kopernicus dev of the potential compatibility issue.

If removing all other mods does not fix the problem, it is likely a problem between your graphics drivers and Kopernicus. To fix this, you can try the following:

Go into the OPM folder and rename the following folders:

Spoiler

OPM/KopernicusConfigs/OuterPlanets/PluginData

OPM/KopernicusConfigs/SarnusMoons/PluginData

OPM/KopernicusConfigs/UrlumMoons/PluginData

OPM/KopernicusConfigs/NeidonMoons/PluginData

OPM/KopernicusConfigs/PlockMoons/PluginData

Rename them from 'PluginData' to 'SurfaceTextures'. Next, open the following folders:

Spoiler

OPM/KopernicusConfigs/OuterPlanets/Configs

OPM/KopernicusConfigs/SarnusMoons/Configs

OPM/KopernicusConfigs/UrlumMoons/Configs

OPM/KopernicusConfigs/NeidonMoons/Configs

OPM/KopernicusConfigs/PlockMoons/Configs

And open the following files in Notepad++, or alternatively you can use Notepad:

Spoiler

OuterPlanets/Configs: Sarnus.cfg, Urlum.cfg, Neidon.cfg, Plock.cfg

SarnusMoons/Configs: Hale.cfg, Ovok.cfg, Eeloo.cfg, Slate.cfg, Tekto.cfg

UrlumMoons/Configs: Polta.cfg, Priax.cfg, Wal.cfg, Tal.cfg

NeidonMoons/Configs: Thatmo.cfg, Nissee.cfg

PlockMoons/Configs: Karen.cfg

In the config files, replace every 'PluginData' with 'SurfaceTextures' (update the filepaths. Use CTRL+F to find all times 'PluginData' appears in a config, or use the replace plugin if the software you use has that function.

This will update the filepaths to account for the changes made when renaming 'PluginData' to 'SurfaceTextures'.

BEFORE YOU START CHANGING PLUGINDATA IN THE CONFIGS: you'll be updating a filepath. There is one last step you need to do, remove the filetype extension (.dds, .png, etc). For example: OPM/KopernicusConfigs/SarnusMoons/PluginData/Tekto_normal.dds becomes OPM/KopernicusConfigs/SarnusMoons/SurfaceTextures/Tekto_normal

But why, TWG? What does this do?

Well, @CaptRobau added support for OnDemandLoading, a handy feature of Kopernicus that drastically lowers the memory consumption of textures. For OnDemandLoading to function, two requirements must be met:

1. The textures are stored in a folder named 'PluginData'. This prevents them from being loaded by the game itself, so that Kopernicus only can access them.

2. The file type is added to the filepaths in the configs.

However, if there's a problem with your drivers, OnDemandLoading may be broken. If the stock planets are fine, making the changes described above completely disables OnDemandLoading and thus makes the game itself load the textures, just like the textures of the stock planets.

Let me know if this works, because it should work in theory.

Hope this helps,

TWG.

Edited by The White Guardian

9 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

My issue is similar, but not exactly like that.  I get only Sarnus, Urlum, and Neidon to show up.  No moons to be seen at all, no Plock.

I tried your fix, and the only visible change is now that the above three bodies are now a pleasantly pasty white, instead of having the barred textures.

Like @ruiluth, I'm on Mint as well.  No Bumblebee or Primus, though.

Would there be a simple config change to turn OnDemandLoading off?  I have 32G of RAM and laugh in the face of memory pigs.

Cheers,

-BS

3 hours ago, barfing_skull said:

I tried your fix, and the only visible change is now that the above three bodies are now a pleasantly pasty white, instead of having the barred textures.

Would there be a simple config change to turn OnDemandLoading off?  I have 32G of RAM and laugh in the face of memory pigs.

Someone told me that barred textures mean that the graphics card is interpreting the texture file wrong, and the white texture means that no texture is being loaded at all.

I tried turning OnDemandLoading off but it didn't have any visible effect. I run with 16G so I have the memory to spare too.

EDIT: Also, as I recall from when I tried to fix this, the white texture were caused by removing the file extensions (.dds). Maybe try without doing that step? I'm trying it now.

EDIT2: Wonder of wonders, trying this with 1.1.3 and all the latest versions, the problem mysteriously is gone, everything working as intended. I'm absolutely certain I did the exact same test in 1.1.2 with the latest version and everything, with no luck. Something must have changed between then and now. I'm so glad it's fixed, I'm never touching it again :sealed:

EDIT3: It's not working in my main install. I'll go through and see what the incompatibility is.

EDIT4: I've found something interesting. The textures only load correctly when the program is run with the default Intel integrated graphics. When I use the Nvidia card with the primusrun command, they don't load and I get the yellow and black textures. However, installing Pood's OPM-VO, the gas giants appear correctly but all the terrestrial planets do not. I'm going to test this on two other computers which have similar cards but not switchable graphics and see if that works. If it does then I'll know that something is wrong with either bumblebee or primus or mobile graphics card I have.

EDIT5: I've confirmed that OPM is working on the other two computers.

1) Linux Mint 17.3 Xfce 64-bit with a GeForce 960. This one is working fine.

2) Linux Mint 17.2 Xfce 64-bit with a GeForce 980 Ti. This one is working fine.

3) Linux Mint 17.3 Xfce 64-bit with a GeForce 860M running through Primus. This one is not working.

All three are running the same drivers, nvidia-352. It must be Primus or the Optimus features of the 860M that is making it not work, but I know nothing about this so this is where I need someone with more experience to help.

EDIT6: I've discovered that I totally screwed up my graphics settings or drivers or something without realizing it. I'm going to try reinstalling my OS and see if that fixes anything.

Edited by ruiluth

21 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

First off, try running KSP with only Kopernicus (and it's dependencies ofc) and OPM. If the problem is gone, add your mods one by one until the problem re-appears, then post on the main Kopernicus thread to inform the Kopernicus dev of the potential compatibility issue.

If removing all other mods does not fix the problem, it is likely a problem between your graphics drivers and Kopernicus. To fix this, you can try the following:

Go into the OPM folder and rename the following folders:

Reveal hidden contents

OPM/KopernicusConfigs/OuterPlanets/PluginData

OPM/KopernicusConfigs/SarnusMoons/PluginData

OPM/KopernicusConfigs/UrlumMoons/PluginData

OPM/KopernicusConfigs/NeidonMoons/PluginData

OPM/KopernicusConfigs/PlockMoons/PluginData

Rename them from 'PluginData' to 'SurfaceTextures'. Next, open the following folders:

Reveal hidden contents

OPM/KopernicusConfigs/OuterPlanets/Configs

OPM/KopernicusConfigs/SarnusMoons/Configs

OPM/KopernicusConfigs/UrlumMoons/Configs

OPM/KopernicusConfigs/NeidonMoons/Configs

OPM/KopernicusConfigs/PlockMoons/Configs

And open the following files in Notepad++, or alternatively you can use Notepad:

Reveal hidden contents

OuterPlanets/Configs: Sarnus.cfg, Urlum.cfg, Neidon.cfg, Plock.cfg

SarnusMoons/Configs: Hale.cfg, Ovok.cfg, Eeloo.cfg, Slate.cfg, Tekto.cfg

UrlumMoons/Configs: Polta.cfg, Priax.cfg, Wal.cfg, Tal.cfg

NeidonMoons/Configs: Thatmo.cfg, Nissee.cfg

PlockMoons/Configs: Karen.cfg

In the config files, replace every 'PluginData' with 'SurfaceTextures' (update the filepaths. Use CTRL+F to find all times 'PluginData' appears in a config, or use the replace plugin if the software you use has that function.

This will update the filepaths to account for the changes made when renaming 'PluginData' to 'SurfaceTextures'.

BEFORE YOU START CHANGING PLUGINDATA IN THE CONFIGS: you'll be updating a filepath. There is one last step you need to do, remove the filetype extension (.dds, .png, etc). For example: OPM/KopernicusConfigs/SarnusMoons/PluginData/Tekto_normal.dds becomes OPM/KopernicusConfigs/SarnusMoons/SurfaceTextures/Tekto_normal

But why, TWG? What does this do?

Well, @CaptRobau added support for OnDemandLoading, a handy feature of Kopernicus that drastically lowers the memory consumption of textures. For OnDemandLoading to function, two requirements must be met:

1. The textures are stored in a folder named 'PluginData'. This prevents them from being loaded by the game itself, so that Kopernicus only can access them.

2. The file type is added to the filepaths in the configs.

However, if there's a problem with your drivers, OnDemandLoading may be broken. If the stock planets are fine, making the changes described above completely disables OnDemandLoading and thus makes the game itself load the textures, just like the textures of the stock planets.

Let me know if this works, because it should work in theory.

Hope this helps,

TWG.

thank you i managed to get it working

turns out i just had the wrong version of Kopernicus installed everything's working fine now

Okay, I have a problem. I can't get the mod to work.  I'm on windows.  Yes, I have Kopernicus and CTTP and OMP in the GameData folder.  Yes, I have the current ModuleManager files.  Yes, I did a complete reinstall of KSP 1.1.3 and tried it again with only Kopernicus and OMP as the only mods I was using. The Outer Planets Mods entry is in the KSPedia.  But they aren't in the game.  I can't see them.  They aren't there.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm sorry to bother you, but I tried to go through 147 pages of this thread last night and I'm at wit's end.

1 hour ago, Riftmann said:

Okay, I have a problem. I can't get the mod to work.  I'm on windows.  Yes, I have Kopernicus and CTTP and OMP in the GameData folder.  Yes, I have the current ModuleManager files.  Yes, I did a complete reinstall of KSP 1.1.3 and tried it again with only Kopernicus and OMP as the only mods I was using. The Outer Planets Mods entry is in the KSPedia.  But they aren't in the game.  I can't see them.  They aren't there.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm sorry to bother you, but I tried to go through 147 pages of this thread last night and I'm at wit's end.

do you have other mods other than those you mentioned?

could you upload your "Logs" folder, output_log.txt file (found in KSP_64x_Data) and mm cachefile (found in the GameData folder)?

9 hours ago, Riftmann said:

Besides the logs, it might be a good idea to post a pic of your GameData folder.  It would help us troubleshoot if it's an installation issue.

2 hours ago, Tenebrous Nova said:

I'm experiencing the same issue as Riftmann. The issue persists even when this mod and Kopernicus are the only ones present. Here is my GameData folder:

9zGXhAb.png

And here are the log files.

Wonderful mod by the way, I really couldn't imagine going back to the vanilla solar system. 

you have too many mods installed to debug the issue, you should try to find the minimum setup which causes the issue, otherwise we would lose hours just to go through all those possible interaction

EDIT:

also

Kopernicus 1.0.4 - (BuildDate: 06.05.2016 16:44:28; AssemblyHash: An+FjvPLDxId15bYLeogAN/rhJg=

your kopernicus version is *slightly* out of date

Edited by Sigma88

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.