[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

8 hours ago, Interplanet Janet said:

Would it be possible to rename Jool to either Zeupiter or Jeus? To fit in with the pattern of the other names (Sarnus = Saturn + Cronus; Urlum = Uranus + Caelum; Neidon = Neptune + Poseidon)?

I don't think Capt will touch the names of the stock planets, it might create compatibility issues.

However, you can change Jool's name yourself, it isn't hard. Follow these steps:

1. Go to OPM/KopernicusConfigs/OuterPlanets/Configs and copy Sarnus.cfg

2. Rename the copied config to JoolRename.cfg or something like that

3. Open it up with Notepad, or better, Notepad++

4. Press CRTL + A, then hit delete to empty the config file

5. Paste in this code:

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
	@Body[Jool]
	{
		cbNameLater = (Jool's new name here)
	}
}

And done! Don't forget to save the config file afterwards.

Edited by The White Guardian

1 minute ago, BashGordon33 said:

Wait what's Miranda? Uranus has 4 moons. Polta, Priax, Wal, Tal. There is no Miranda. And if your talking about adding coolness, Neptune needs a boost. It has 2 moons and only one moon I would like to visit, Thatmo. 

-_-

Wal is an Iapetus/Oberon analog. Polta is Ariel. Priax is some small moon like Puck. Tal is a moonlet.

2 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

You know, Trojans are 45 degrees from their parent. You might want to fix that for Principia compatibility.

"In particular, a trojan remains near one of the two trojan points of stability – designated L4 and L5 – which lie approximately 60° ahead of and behind the larger body, respectively." I tried it in Principia and it's as stable as can be :P

2 hours ago, BashGordon33 said:

Wait what's Miranda? Uranus has 4 moons. Polta, Priax, Wal, Tal. There is no Miranda. And if your talking about adding coolness, Neptune needs a boost. It has 2 moons and only one moon I would like to visit, Thatmo. 

Wal takes some small design cues from Miranda, most noticeably some steep vertical drops on its equatorial ridge a la the cliffs found on Miranda's Verona Rupes. The planets in OPM are set in stone in terms of what moons they have. At Neidon's distance, I'd be surprised if more than 10% of players gets more than a flyby of the system. Adding a moon there would just be a waste. If I were to add new bodies, it'd be something more reachable and something that isn't yet in the game, like a comet or something.

3 hours ago, saturnsrings said:

Neidon needs to have rings, Neptune has them.

They're not/barely visible to the naked eye. Sarnus and Urlum got their rings because they're both visibly striking and unique.

17 hours ago, saturnsrings said:

Can you add a planet x analog please!!

I assume you mean that planet 9 that's been in the news? At the relative distance that it would be, it'd take experienced players and futuristic tech to get there. If you can't even get a flyby with stock tech, I don't see the appeal of adding it.

7 hours ago, CaptRobau said:

I'm not touching stock names, but if I had that planet myself I might have called it Jeus.
Because I was kind of interested to see what all the inner planets would be like if named like this:
Moho > Hermes + Mercury (Mercurius) = Hermury
Eve > Aphrodite + Venus = Aphronus
Duna > Mars + Ares = Mares
Dres > Demeter + Ceres = Demeres

I'd say sticking with the first letter similarities is the bigger naming theme to follow, and I don't think you need to use nearly as much of the names to still fit both the naming convention, and make it feel right:

Mermes
Vete
Mares (This works well)
Dres (This is already a combo of the two... just shorter. Ceter would have worked too, and still kept the name short)
Jeus (The Jeus is leus! This would have been a good alternative) :D

3 hours ago, CaptRobau said:

"In particular, a trojan remains near one of the two trojan points of stability – designated L4 and L5 – which lie approximately 60° ahead of and behind the larger body, respectively." I tried it in Principia and it's as stable as can be :P

Wal takes some small design cues from Miranda, most noticeably some steep vertical drops on its equatorial ridge a la the cliffs found on Miranda's Verona Rupes. The planets in OPM are set in stone in terms of what moons they have. At Neidon's distance, I'd be surprised if more than 10% of players gets more than a flyby of the system. Adding a moon there would just be a waste. If I were to add new bodies, it'd be something more reachable and something that isn't yet in the game, like a comet or something.

They're not/barely visible to the naked eye. Sarnus and Urlum got their rings because they're both visibly striking and unique.

I assume you mean that planet 9 that's been in the news? At the relative distance that it would be, it'd take experienced players and futuristic tech to get there. If you can't even get a flyby with stock tech, I don't see the appeal of adding it.

Oh Ok!

2 hours ago, richfiles said:

I'd say sticking with the first letter similarities is the bigger naming theme to follow, and I don't think you need to use nearly as much of the names to still fit both the naming convention, and make it feel right:

Mermes
Vete
Mares (This works well)
Dres (This is already a combo of the two... just shorter. Ceter would have worked too, and still kept the name short)
Jeus (The Jeus is leus! This would have been a good alternative) :D

Good one. That I didn't spot Dres before.

7 hours ago, CaptRobau said:

Oh all right, Miranda is a real life moon. I thought I had accidentally deleted it. Thanks for the info. And I wouldn't really mind a really hard to reach planet, it would sort of be an 'endgame' thing. Besides, most people who download OPM also download other futuristic tech like NF or Interstellar, but I can understand your concern.

On ‎28‎.‎05‎.‎2016 at 7:06 PM, CaptRobau said:

Methinks that Tyche (I prefer the name from the other Planet X proposal) is up Transkeptunian's alley, a step up from OPM (what would that be? VOPM? XOPM?). It should be way beyond the orbit of the Sedna analogue.

3 hours ago, DDE said:

Methinks that Tyche (I prefer the name from the other Planet X proposal) is up Transkeptunian's alley, a step up from OPM (what would that be? VOPM? XOPM?). It should be way beyond the orbit of the Sedna analogue.

Yeah, It's something I plan to do as soon as I solve the "Science Transmission of Death" bug with Cacteye.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

Are there ringed planets? I would love to see some real rings...

Erm, you get Sarnus, with moons outside, within and inside the rings. Didn't you look at the OP and the image gallery?

Finally got around to updating the OP (it still used the old forum's formatting). For the mods I've basically just weeded out the incompatible mods from the older list. But there's some newer mods out there too that are ideal for a recommendation, provide support for OPM or use parts of OPM. I have a few of them in the back of my head, but if you have any suggestions just drop it here and I'll add if it's relevant.

3 hours ago, DDE said:

Erm, you get Sarnus, with moons outside, within and inside the rings. Didn't you look at the OP and the image gallery?

I did a while back, right around the Beta version where it was planned and the KSP version number was preceded by "0." and remembered it being planned...

So, no, I have not checked it since then... :D

@Astrofox

Slate uses the heightmap to get the general look of the ridges working and the PQSMod to get the ridges to look good from close up too. If you have a height map or procedural generated terrrain already you can utilize the PQSMod. Here's an example from my version of Eeloo. I keep them pretty much the same from body to body. I only change the deformity (how tall the ridge are, bigger bodies need higher values to get the same ridges as a small one) and the seed. I suggest using KittopiaTech to visualize which deformity/seeds work for your planet.

VertexHeightNoiseVertHeightCurve2
				{
					deformity = 140
					ridgedAddFrequency = 32
					ridgedAddLacunarity = 2
					ridgedAddOctaves = 8
					ridgedAddSeed = 12361237
					ridgedMode = Low
					ridgedSubFrequency = 32
					ridgedSubLacunarity = 2
					ridgedSubOctaves = 8
					ridgedSubSeed = 564523
					simplexFrequency = 24
					simplexHeightEnd = 1
					simplexHeightStart = 0.2
					simplexOctaves = 8
					simplexPersistence = 0.5
					simplexSeed = 78967456
					order = 40
					enabled = True
					simplexCurve
					{
						key = 0 0 0 0
						key = 0.6311918 0.4490898 1.432598 1.432598
						key = 1 1 0 0
					}
				}

The following is for everybody:

hi, is there a way to increase the SOI of the Kerbol system?

I want to shoot myself at plock, but when I am no an escape trajectory I cannot see my path, it ends between urlum and neidon

best regards

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.