[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Here's a delta-V map I just made. I haven't play tested it yet... so take those numbers with a rather big grain of salt. Mainly because its author is not the most knowledgeable person... :P

EDIT: And since we are at it, google friendly tags: Outer Planets Mod delta-V map, OPM delta-V Map, dV map for Outer Planets Mod... and so on. :)

Amazing, this is definitely going in the forum OP.

Here's a delta-V map I just made. I haven't play tested it yet... so take those numbers with a rather big grain of salt. Mainly because its author is not the most knowledgeable person... :P

(click for full size)

http://i.imgur.com/7uvjA5jl.png

EDIT: And since we are at it, google friendly tags: Outer Planets Mod delta-V map, OPM delta-V Map, dV map for Outer Planets Mod... and so on. :)

Fantastic work. Thanks so much for you're contribution! :)

Beautiful! I love it!

I can't convince myself to get other planet packs nowadays. You guys have set the bar far too high for the competition to even remotely compare. This really is a stunning mod, and all the hard work you guys put into it really shines. I can't wait for Urlum and Neidon's moons! Well, I guess I can, so long as they're the same quality level as your other moons...

Thank you for your kind words. It means a lot to get feedback like this.

Beautiful! I love it!

I can't convince myself to get other planet packs nowadays. You guys have set the bar far too high for the competition to even remotely compare. This really is a stunning mod, and all the hard work you guys put into it really shines. I can't wait for Urlum and Neidon's moons! Well, I guess I can, so long as they're the same quality level as your other moons...

Agreed! Well, that and the fact that if you want to use it with with clouds & stuff they conveniently use up every bit of RAM you can give KSP, so there's no RAM free to add other planet mods along side it. (Intentional? :wink:)

(click for full size)

http://i.imgur.com/7uvjA5jl.png

Are you a perfectionist, good sir? In that case, you might want to ninja-fix the "elliptic intercept" on Plock... ;)

The Tekto biome crowdsourced science blurbs still aren't filled up. So if you want to contribute to the mod, you still can. Here's a repost that explains it:

For the next update of OPM we want to add biomes to our latest moon Tekto, the Titan analog orbiting Sarnus. We liked the crowd-sourced process a lot, so we wanted to do that again for Tekto. So if you have the time or the interest, we'd love to see you drop by and contribute. This is how it works:

Below is a link to a Google Docs spreadsheet. This has four sheets. Info and Moon Background can't be edited and are designed to help you. They contain biome maps, moon backgrounds, etc. Everything you need to write the science descriptions. The Blurbs sheet is not important, its the Tekto Blurbs sheet where you submit your descriptions for Tekto's science descriptions. It should all be pretty straightforward. Ideally we'd rather have you fill out empty situations instead of writing a blurb for a situation that already has a blurb, but if you have an description that's just too amazing, there is room for a second description.

Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J_xgrPoqJSqvvdzgOqNlwmj0aabSVGda8hZLRu9VhsE/edit

If you have questions, you can always PM Eudae55 or me

You have mentioned that the next version of the mod is coming out shortly and that it will feature new science blurbs and biomes for Tekto as well as a revamped ovok (!) but I was just wondering if changes to the moon's orbits would come out in this update? You have said that the Sarnus system is a bit too spread out and would consider bunching Slate and Tekto up a bit. If all goes to plan I will be (ATTEMPTING) to fly an SSTO to Tekto and back very soon and I would like to know if it is worth me waiting untill positions of the moons orbits are finalised because that might alter the difficulty of the mission.

Are you a perfectionist, good sir? In that case, you might want to ninja-fix the "elliptic intercept" on Plock... ;)

Well, as Murphy's law says: any important letter, regardless of how well proofread it is, will automatically develop typos and grammatical mistakes the moment you send it out...

So here's the new one, also in Dropbox because I realized that Imgur doesn't allow you to replace an image, so every time you want to upload a new version you get a new URL...:huh:

KSP%20Delta-V%20Map%20-%20OPM%20t.png

Tekto seems to be almost locked to the sun. It took me some 60 days to get sunlight despite the moon rotating quickly.

It makes for interesting movement of planets with DOE, Jool rises to about 20 degrees above the horizon then falls. :D

Tekto's day should be much shorter in the next update as we condensed the moons' SMAs. As Tekto is tidally locked, a shorter orbital period should result in a shorter day.

now im just waiting for Europa. Hopefully that comes :D

Well, Vall is meant to be an analogue for Europa given its orbit around Jool and icy surface (although it could certainly be improved). A few people previously have suggested that this mod should tweak the whole solar system but it seems the developers interests are only adding high quality bodies beyond Jool. Changing the current stock Jool system may be the realms of another mod. But who knows - there are still many moons to come out still :)

Edited by hazard-ish

I've been wondering... as someone who's never touched anything Kopernicus/Kittopia-related before, how much effort is involved in making a resizing config?

Let's say I want to keep things simple. Stock install with OPM and nothing else.

- How difficult and/or involved is it to for example simply increase object radius and semi-major axis by a given factor?

- Would the presence of KopernicusTech through having OPM installed allow me to modify the stock bodies the same way as the OPM bodies, or would I need to use RSS to address those?

- What side effects can I expect if I do only that and nothing else? I know that the solar panel power curve will be off, but what else besides that?

(If this is a bit too off topic for this thread I can take it to PM if necessary :))

I've been wondering... as someone who's never touched anything Kopernicus/Kittopia-related before, how much effort is involved in making a resizing config?

Let's say I want to keep things simple. Stock install with OPM and nothing else.

- How difficult and/or involved is it to for example simply increase object radius and semi-major axis by a given factor?

- Would the presence of KopernicusTech through having OPM installed allow me to modify the stock bodies the same way as the OPM bodies, or would I need to use RSS to address those?

- What side effects can I expect if I do only that and nothing else? I know that the solar panel power curve will be off, but what else besides that?

Not much effort at all :)

Just take a look at the system.cfg file for all the general parameters, and at the .cfgs in KittopiaSpace/SaveLoad for PQS stuff.

Both Kopernicus and KopernicusTech should allow moving stock bodies without issue, although if you want to work off a previously existing resizing config, using RSS alongside Kopernicus has the benefit of integrating all the work that was done on the stock bodies through RSS already, as well as power curves.

As to the side effects, well nothing gamebreaking really, some minor visual glitches but nothing much to worry about.

As to the side effects, well nothing gamebreaking really, some minor visual glitches but nothing much to worry about.

What kind of visual glitches?

Also, I was wondering about things like atmospheres - assuming I don't touch them at all, do they end up trapped deep inside a body I enlarge or do they continue to start from the surface regardless of planet radius?

And will KSP's random asteroids still spawn near Kerbin if I change Kerbin's semi-major axis? (Same goes for OPM's random asteroids upon changing the orbits of those bodies)

EDIT: and can I break certain contract types, like satellite launch contracts, by making Kerbin too big?

Edited by Streetwind

Sun shining through planets for example is very noticeable once you go into realistic territories with planet radius. Some cloud layers from visual packs might need readjusting as well.

Atmospheres stay in place (a 10x Kerbin would have the same atmosphere) if you do not do anything, however they can also be modified with relative ease. The asteroid spawning method fortunately uses values relative to the orbital parameters, so no issues with resizing stuff there at all. Also custom asteroids gives you great freedom in setting up new asteroids populations, and has an excellent documentation from what I saw.

Yes and no, it depends on the contract parameters being hardcoded or not. I think the fineprint (stock) contracts use relative values, so no orbits inside planets. The remote tech contract pack does as well afaik; however the scansat one does not. Also there are bugs with exploration contracts on new bodies from what I have read, no idea about the specifics though.

[And sorry if this strays too far from the topic, but since we are talking about OPM planets as well and more compatibility surely is a great thing, I figure its justifiable]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.