Remove or Fix the Stayputnik

Well, I've used the stayputnik, and it's pretty great :D

Problem though: is this REALLY what we want new players' first encounter with unmanned probes to be? Lack of SAS and reaction wheels essentially means newbies have two big obstacles to overcome... I mean SAS is solved with piloting skills and torque is solved (sort of) by slapping on an inline reaction wheel... But it feels weird.

I think you guys forget the advantage to the probe cores in general: less mass! Sure, it has no piloting skill. But it also has no pilot mass! You can easily do the probe missions by strapping a Stayputnik to the top of a crewed rocket: it's tiny mass will not significantly impact the range of the craft. But it's also useful right from the start to reduce rocket mass and also to protect pilots in a dangerous mission. Makes sense you should have to give up a bit for that advantage. I think the later probe cores should be far more expensive than they are. Heck, I'd be more than willing to pay 100,000 for an OKTO2 with full piloting capabilities if I can just slap it on top of my level 2 pilot's command pod while I send him out on a training mission.

I think you guys forget the advantage to the probe cores in general: less mass! Sure, it has no piloting skill. But it also has no pilot mass! You can easily do the probe missions by strapping a Stayputnik to the top of a crewed rocket: it's tiny mass will not significantly impact the range of the craft. But it's also useful right from the start to reduce rocket mass and also to protect pilots in a dangerous mission. Makes sense you should have to give up a bit for that advantage. I think the later probe cores should be far more expensive than they are. Heck, I'd be more than willing to pay 100,000 for an OKTO2 with full piloting capabilities if I can just slap it on top of my level 2 pilot's command pod while I send him out on a training mission.
As far as I can see kerbals in a pod don't add towards its mass at all, it weighs 8.4 tons occupied or not. An empty command pod with a probe on top is heavier than a manned one!

On EVA the kerbal does weight 0.09 tons however, so this might be a bug.

Yes probes are light, don't require a pilot and some have inbuilt SAS functions, and as a result are useful for some things. But there are very real balance problems between manned and unmanned missions.

The pod after all, comes with a vast array of features,

• High crash tolerance
  • Monopropellant storage
  • No constant power drain
  • A sizeable battery (with no constant drain its enough for Mun and Minmus landings!)
  • An internal torque system that's both as strong as, and more power efficient than, the dedicated reaction wheel.
  • Internal science instrument that transmits at 100% efficiency and can be with EVA is re-usable.
  • EVA for a whole heck of a lot more science from EVA reports and samples.
  • EVA allows use of the pods storage for masses of science data, safeguarding it in a single hard shell, and allowing better re-usability and saving power
  • Onboard unlimited supply of jetpack fuel
  • Kerbals passengers skills such as SAS

Did I miss any?

When you strip out the monopropellant, most of this is available right at the start of the game with later upgrades unlocking the rest, in a 0.8 ton package, for a paltry cost of 588 credits. For reference, the inline reaction wheel that's worse than the command pods own costs 600 by itself!

Yes it did.

o.O

The question was "in what sense" the context was "uncontrollable probe". I have no idea what that means so I asked, given that every other part is uncontrollable. What does it mean to have a "probe" that you can't control. That's just a structural part or a battery.

o.O

The question was "in what sense" the context was "uncontrollable probe". I have no idea what that means so I asked, given that every other part is uncontrollable. What does it mean to have a "probe" that you can't control. That's just a structural part or a battery.

I think it's quite obvious Kesa meant a "probe" part that counts for the purposes of the satellite contract, but is otherwise uncontrollable. How is that unclear to you?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.