Do you still use the old rotation keys?

Superfluous J

Do you tend to use the old o new rotation method?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tend to use the old o new rotation method?

• I use the old method exclusively. No cheaty gizmos for me!
    • I use the old method first, but if I can't get it I'll switch to the gizmo.
    • I use the old method for easy stuff, but why work so hard when the gizmo's right there?
    • I only use the gizmo. It's so convenient!

We already established in another thread that you are quite old, and therefore less likely to adept to new ... *runs away covering head*

:wink:

The keys are somewhat faster, and as long as I can achieve what I wanted to I will use them - but I honestly keep forgetting about the new gizmos, only when I need to reassign my root part I come back to them - mostly because I still find the full extend of the offset tool head-breaking.

I mainly use WSAD simply because it's habit. Combined with the fact that a lot of the time, rotation with those keys is pretty intuitive (compared to the old way) and, for me, faster. I abuse the heck out of the translation gizmo, but for normal building, I just rotate the old way. Then, when I get fed up or the thing's attached and I change my mind, I switch to the gizmo. Always by clicking the button, mind you - occasionally, I think 'oh hey, the hotkey would be quicker to do this' and by the time I've processed that and how much time it would save me, not to mention looking down to check I'm on the right key, it's already way slower than clicking.

That said, when I do use the gizmos, I'm blown away. Being able to rotate parts while they're still attached?! That's witchcraft, as far as I'm concerned. Being a FAR addict, it's amazing to be able to have complete control over a wings rotation while it's still attached. Need a bit more dihedral? Done. Sweep them back a smidge more? Done. I love it.

And of course, the elevons. I don't even bother with WSAD with them, I just plonk them anywhere and get the gizmos to help put them in the right place because trying to get them right in a timely manner is an exercise in madness. "Q, no wait, E.. W? Which way did that turn? .. What did I press, was it D? Nope, now how can I get back, A? *presses Q by accident* well, I thought that would work, so D?" and so on...

We already established in another thread that you are quite old, and therefore less likely to adept to new ... *runs away covering head*

*throws his false teeth to scare KerbMav off his lawn*

"Q, no wait, E.. W? Which way did that turn? .. What did I press, was it D? Nope, now how can I get back, A? *presses Q by accident* well, I thought that would work, so D?" and so on...

Oh so much this. Doing this with landing gear (for a lander, not a plane) is and switching to the gizmo (which I did at least learn the hotkeys for. Hear that, KerbMav? You did! Then you're still on my lawn!) after 7 or 8 incorrect keypresses got me to SWEAR I'd force myself to use the gizmo ONLY. Then 5 seconds later I was hitting keys, so I came here and made this poll instead of working on my ship :)

The cool thing is though is both the gizmos and WASDQE controls are available, meaning no one is force to use gizmos for everything (even though it's increased my craft productivity/creativity ten-fold). Personally, I see ASDWQE placement as making a mold for the creation you want, and the gizmos as polishing to make it fine looking.

I am so used to using the keys, it's just easier to do it that way instead of having to move your mouse all the way across the screen (Because that is soooo much work). I use Gizmos for harder stuff and i get cool effects. I like the new gizmos.

I don't even know what the OP is talking about, my brain is directly wired into my hands and then onto the keys.

When I look down on my keyboard, my hands find the keys and from there I have amnesia every time.

Still don't remember what the keys are.

I too still use the old keys out of habit, and I hope they don't remove them because for simpler rotations like 90 degrees it's somewhat faster just to tap "Q" or something than to change modes and then go dragging the little gizmo around.

I do love that using "F" the gizmos can be changed between Absolute and Relative modes - now I can make SURE my landing gear and RCS ports are straight!

I still use the rotation keys because old habits die really hard and I mostly have snap fit on. If I want something just right though, then I'm all over the gizmos. This is mostly for wings, parallel core stages, etc.

I'll admit, the only gizmo I've used so far was the offset. It is invaluable when putting cargo in my spaceplanes. Can't have those landing gear sticking to the bottom of the bay. However, in my defense... I'd been on a KSP break for a while and didn't even know .90 was out until I ran across a .90 video on Youtube.

I'm still only a bit into my career though, and can see the gizmos becoming more useful as I build more complicated designs. Maybe I can start building giant complicated flying wings again...

Hi all,

I've took the first option.

But I don't consider the new gizmos cheating, they just feel inferior to me!

The off-set gizmo as an example: I can't off-set a radial attached part exactly where I want it to be. It's always moved into a different (probably predefined) position first.

So fart I've always ended up getting better results with the old tools.

Edited by Magniff

I don't know why, but for some reason deep down in my psyche I feel that the rotation gizmo is... not cheating... but... taking the easy road. I still find myself, most of the time, using the old rotation keys (and fiddling with them incessantly until I find the right one. Every time) and only resorting to the rotation gizmo when I simply can't get what I want.

Whenever I DO use the gizmo, it's simple, clean, and I wonder why I didn't go to it earlier. But the next time I need to rotate something, right back to the old method I go.

I don't have a similar issue with the translation gizmo. I go to it frequently and with fervor, excitedly sliding whatever piece I get my hands on exactly where I want it like never before.

Am I alone in this, or so others share my madness?

This is exactly how I do it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.