[1.9-1.10] Throttle Controlled Avionics

allista

54 minutes ago, smjjames said:

None of those should cause problems to my knowledge, and okay on giving more info next time around.

I'll try to see if I can reproduce it myself, but wanted to see if you were using the latest beta and was wondering about the craft first.

If it's any help, I built the ship as a typical shuttle setup with 11 strong gimbal boosters on the shuttle (8 around the sides, attached at teh very edge, 3 in the middle). However, the large  Auxillary Fuel tank had a Large 3.5m booster on it as well. THen of-course, the SRB's were attached to the sides of the fuel tank.

Edited by Talavar

20 minutes ago, Talavar said:

If it's any help, I built the ship as a typical shuttle setup with 11 strong gimbal boosters on the shuttle (8 around the sides, attached at teh very edge, 3 in the middle). However, the large  Auxillary Fuel tank had a Large 3.5m booster on it as well. THen of-course, the SRB's were attached to the sides of the fuel tank.

Okay but what settings did you have on, like hover or what?

I was able to sort of reproduce it because when I use hover, it actually throttles the SRBs, which aren't supposed to have throttle.

Things are also wierding out when I try to revert for some reason.

11 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Okay but what settings did you have on, like hover or what?

I was able to sort of reproduce it because when I use hover, it actually throttles the SRBs, which aren't supposed to have throttle.

Things are also wierding out when I try to revert for some reason.

No hover, I simply set different engines to maunal, main engine, etc.. and launched and pressed y. affter about 15seconds, my srb's stopped firing with 1/2 fuel remaining... Then I tried to change the engine configuration after reverting flight, but it kept reverting back to the old settings. I tried different groups, no groups, etc,etc. no fixes, it always went back to the old setting.. it's like it wasn't remembering my new settings.

Edited by Talavar

33 minutes ago, Talavar said:

No hover, I simply set different engines to maunal, main engine, etc.. and launched (pressed y) affter about 30 seconds, my srb's stopped firing.. Then I tried to change the engine configuration after reverting flight, but it kept reverting back to the old settings. I tried different groups, no groups, etc,etc. no fixes, it always went back to the old setting.. it's like it wasn't remembering my new settings.

Hm, well, grab a fresh download of the latest beta from the google docs page and see if you can reproduce it.

Did you launch and THEN press y or press y first and then launch? I'm still trying to reproduce it. Though I'm checking in my stripped down branchoff KSP. I'm not seeing that wierdness that I saw in the main, so, not sure what is going on with that.

edit: Did you click 'done' after changing things in the TCA window?

Also, of the mods you have, the only ones that I also have are KJR, MJ, IR, and EL. I know KJR, IR, and EL have nothing to do with what TCA does, though MJ and TCA sometimes fight with each other a bit, but cooperate for the most part.

edit: That wierdness I mentioned earlier seems to have disappeared on it's own *shrug*

Edited by smjjames

7 hours ago, smjjames said:

Hm, well, grab a fresh download of the latest beta from the google docs page and see if you can reproduce it.

Did you launch and THEN press y or press y first and then launch? I'm still trying to reproduce it. Though I'm checking in my stripped down branchoff KSP. I'm not seeing that wierdness that I saw in the main, so, not sure what is going on with that.

edit: Did you click 'done' after changing things in the TCA window?

Also, of the mods you have, the only ones that I also have are KJR, MJ, IR, and EL. I know KJR, IR, and EL have nothing to do with what TCA does, though MJ and TCA sometimes fight with each other a bit, but cooperate for the most part.

edit: That wierdness I mentioned earlier seems to have disappeared on it's own *shrug*

Sorry for the late reply, had some RL stuff to take care of.. I pressed y first, But a few times I also pressed it after.. Not sure about the done button.. been a few days now.. lol .. Ill grab the latest build and let you know If I have any issues.

On 12/22/2015 at 7:15 AM, Speadge said:

damn this mod is fantastic!

Too sad, that JetEngines are hard to support due their responsetime

I don't really understand why they can't be supported. There must be some mathematical equation that would keep jet engine based VTOLs under a very stable hover control.

2 hours ago, inigma said:

I don't really understand why they can't be supported. There must be some mathematical equation that would keep jet engine based VTOLs under a very stable hover control.

i think its cause every engine needs different times to throttle up.. even some rockets burn 100% on ignition, others need 5 seconds

Just tried it with 4 small jet engines. I have overrided autosetup values and I have set "P" and "I" like this:

P = 10
I = 90

Also, experimetnig with KAX Huey Heli rotor. It works well to some degree if you have at least 2 rotors. With only one, does not work well enough.
Again, problem with low thrust response as with jet engines. I think those rotors should be more responsive compared to jets, because thrust is not controled by RPM of engines, it is controled trough angle of attack of rotor blades instead while RPM remain more/less constant. But that is topic for KAX mod, not this one.

TbxHkdK.jpg

first mentioned in a response to my post in the MJ thread http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/111978-part-105-anatid-robotics-mumech-mechjeb-autopilot-v255-dec-3rd/&page=51#comment-2350048, there is something strange going on with rendezvousing and it happens when I enter physics loading range. What's even stranger is that the problem went away after I removed TCA.

I wouldn't have suspected it was TCA until someone else mentioned about it because TCA, afaik, does absolutely nothing with orbital physics or physics loading range.

Pulling the discussion over from MJ thread:

15 hours ago, smjjames said:

Did the destination craft have docking ports on it? Theres a known bug with docking ports where it'll change the orbit of the craft. I have TCA and I've never seen that bug.

@sarbian Let me know if you want info on the rendezvous wierdness or if you can't investigate it right now.

Edit: I'll just make a video anyway, it's pretty hard to describe what is going on exactly.

edit2: You know what, @Fury1SOG I think I'm seeing exactly the same thing you are.

edit3: Huh, it IS TCA, which makes no sense to me... sarbian Would it be possible for you to look into it? I don't know when allista will be back from whatever hes doing. I assume busy with work stuff.

One thing that I noticed is that a 4 ton destination craft I built for test purposes didn't have any RV problems, even with TCA installed. I only experienced the orbit change problem when RV'ing with a 1000 ton station.

I assume that an asteroid also has a very high mass, so it might be said that the common factor between my experience and @smjjames's is that we're both seeing strange issues when trying to RV with something with a large mass when TCA is installed.  

^quote of @Fury1SOG

It is certainly heavy, yes, but I don't think it's 1000 tons, closer to 100, one of the two asteroids is mined out, so, it's lighter than it looks, I'll give it a look though and report back. The station that I was trying to rendezvous with at the most recent point was 111 tons.

Edited by smjjames

• 2 weeks later...

*bump* I just had the problem when rendezvousing with a relatively light craft of 15 tons while trying to rendezvous with an identical craft, both have a docking port on them. Going to see if the problem still persists without TCA and maybe attempt to see what version of TCA it appeared in.

edit: Currently doing analysis on the spreadsheet (well, I'm typing my analysis on the spreadsheet) to find the point of origin of the bug.

Edited by smjjames

• 2 weeks later...

I have a major issue with TCA, but first of all I'd like to say that this is a great mod when it works!

The problem I have is that in this version (2.3.0.2) it turns off my interstellar rockets completely when it needs to but they never go back up.

I made a small video demonstrating my problem and as you can see it balances them properly and i take off vertically just fine, the moment I input some pitch down to move forward, 2 of the engines shutdown and dont produce any thrust until  I disable and re-enable TCA. 

Is this a known issue? Am I doing something wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ_NOeMZST8

[The below issue is solved, but I will leave the post here so it can help others.]

Great looking Mod!  I'm really excited to try it, but I can't get it to work right.  The interface window is not coming up when I press "y", but the craft does stabilize as expected using SAS...just no interface.  I've bought the part from R&D.  I installed using CKAN.  I also have AVC and toolbar installed (both with CKAN).  I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the mod.  Thanks again for this great mod, and thanks in advance for your time and help with this issue.

Fixed.  Closed KSP, deleted toolbar-settings.dat from my GameData Folder.  Everything works fine now.  This mod is awesome, thank you!!

Edited by Jaevko

Hi there - I down loaded was on CKAN and saw that there was a beta and then downloaded it and copied over what was in my install folder.  I used the CKAN had had issues; however the beta doesn't seem to work? 

No active engines?  Also, can I change the "bind" key, the "Y" key is also NavHud.  I would like to use this mod to get some help with hovering and attempting other things in KSP.

thank you for the support.

edit: Okay... odd, I reloaded KSP and now I got it to work with the latest best.  Now, I just have to figure out what I am doing.  thanks again.

Edited by gamerscircle

Let me ask this:
With this mod, if I have a fairly balanced craft, on the Mun, would I be able to use TCA to help with sky crane deployments?  If so, I am not sure what settings I would want to check and adjust to tweak and adjust, besides 'hover' as I get close to where I want to start the placement.

Any help would be appreciated, thank.

Hi everyone. I apologise for my absence for so long. My mom got into a car crash and I had my plate full with all the consequences. Fortunately, nothing major with her health, but still.

Now I'll try to process the forum at least twice a week and will resume the work on TCA3, but I estimate my spare time for it as ~12h/week, so don't expect a release soon. Sorry :(

Edited by allista

On 2/1/2016 at 6:56 PM, gamerscircle said:

Let me ask this:
With this mod, if I have a fairly balanced craft, on the Mun, would I be able to use TCA to help with sky crane deployments?  If so, I am not sure what settings I would want to check and adjust to tweak and adjust, besides 'hover' as I get close to where I want to start the placement.

Any help would be appreciated, thank.

Sure, TCA should be very helpful there, but you have to design your crane carefully with respect to TWR-on-the-Mun, as too high TWR is hard to handle, with TCA or not.

Aside from Hover I would use Stop or Anchor to deal with horizontal speed. (I'm referring to beta version here)

On 1/29/2016 at 1:58 AM, gamerscircle said:

This is a fun Mod, thank you very much for your time and dedication.

I was curious about two thing, I see in the "adv" options, that I can change the key bind, but the "P" doesn't seem to be sticking.

The "guide lines' are these be toggled?

Thanks)

The hot key is still a weak thing, as it relies on the OS-specific Unity functionality. I've tried to workaround this, but on Win7 not all keys work. Letters should work everywhere, though, so it's strange. Have you tried other keys?

The "guidelines" are for debugging. I'll post a release version with them disabled.

On 1/29/2016 at 0:26 AM, Cdodders said:

Using TCA on a 4 engine VTOL aircraft (the engines rotate) and TCA seems unable to dampen out wobble completely, making cargo pick-ups and precise manouvering impossibru!! please help

Have you tried to set the engines to Balanced thrust mode? This will require additional maneuver thrusters/reaction wheels/RCS, but may work more reliably.

Also, try to grab the latest beta from the Google spreadsheet with test results (look for the link on previous page). P

4 hours ago, allista said:

Hi everyone. I apologise for my absence for so long. My mom got into a car crash and I had my plate full with all the consequences. Fortunately, nothing major with her health, but still.

Now I'll try to process the forum at least twice a week and will resume the work on TCA3, but I estimate my spare time for it as ~12h/week, so don't expect a release soon. Sorry :(

Dang, sorry to hear about that, was wondering what happened with the sudden absence.

Anyway, been using an older beta version for a while due to a docking port related bug which I had somehow thought was a stock bug, resulting in it getting missed for so long. I've detailed it both on the spreadsheet and here on the thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.