[WIP] KopernicusTech - An integration attempt between Kopernicus and KittopiaTech (v0.13 - 03/26/15)

Gravitasi

I am trying to export a colormap for kerbin with KT. The output is 2048x1024 which is a little low for kerbin at least I read I can change the resolution of the output using mapFilesize in pqs. I tried changing it from what it started at 4096 to 8192, but the output from scaledspace export is still 2048x1024. Is there some formatting issue on my part, or does this function not work? Thanks!

10 characters

This mod will soon be irrelevant as Kopernicus should have working PQS (and StarSystems-like stars) very soon.

As such, I would advise planet creators to not release any updates until this happens.

OK.. So you say I should wait till the next Kopernicus update to update Kerbol Plus? Ok.. Just a question... Horn how many weeks will the Kopernicus update be released? Cuz I have something hot on the table and I can't just keep my updates secret till the update... Also, will the new system support stock planet editing? With the current system, if you try to edit Kerbin's texture and radius, everything goes crazy and buggy. Also, could they add the ability, it to implement custom ocean textures in the next update? I'm dying to make a working lava planet...

...will the new system support stock planet editing? ...

This is my main question as well. I want to rid myself of the RSS dependency to easily handle stock planets. I also hope exporting the height, normal, and color maps will be available in custom resolutions

OK.. So you say I should wait till the next Kopernicus update to update Kerbol Plus? Ok.. Just a question... Horn how many weeks will the Kopernicus update be released? Cuz I have something hot on the table and I can't just keep my updates secret till the update... Also, will the new system support stock planet editing? With the current system, if you try to edit Kerbin's texture and radius, everything goes crazy and buggy. Also, could they add the ability, it to implement custom ocean textures in the next update? I'm dying to make a working lava planet...
This is my main question as well. I want to rid myself of the RSS dependency to easily handle stock planets. I also hope exporting the height, normal, and color maps will be available in custom resolutions

I would guess that stock planet editing would be implemented. Custom ocean textures, however, may not.

It'll probably be released by Saturday, Tekno and Thomas are making very rapid progress.

Well, I've already succeeded with oceans, but it was a long, rough road to this... From the first planets made with pure Kopernicus (I was a noob) to the marvelous ocean moon I made for my pack... An yes... When I had to change my mod, the old OP+ to Kopernicus Tech, I had many bugs that persisted trough versions up to 1.6, because of my next to 0 knowledge meet of PQSmods...

KopernicusTech v0.13 has been released!

Here are some important changes on the update:

Config loader/saver update

The config loader/saver now supports more PQS parameters. Choose a planet and select the save button to see all of the new parameters. (WATCH OUT! Don't accidentally replace your own KittopiaTech config). The loader also now support multiple PQS mods. So, you can now add several PQS mods that have a same type.

Voronoi craters support

(thanks BorisBee!)

You can now add procedural craters on your planet, using PQSMod_VoronoiCraters. Read HarvesteR's Dev Blag about it here to get a general idea of how it works and what each parameters on the mod does.

Star fix

(thanks Thomas P.!)

Stars are working now. You can add them via Kopernicus config. (By the way, the update doesn't include the new starfix derived from StarSystem; I'm afraid we have to wait for the official Kopernicus release)

Here's the complete changes from changelog:

v0.13
26 Mar 2015
- Generic saver and loader for PQS mods; both now support more parameters.
- Multiple PQS mods support.
- Made HeightColorMap customizable (thanks BorisBee).
- Fixed VoronoiCrater; you can now add procedural craters (thanks BorisBee).
- Allowed KittopiaTech configs to reside on subfolders (thanks BorisBee).
- Fixed a bug on star/planet sorting procedure; You can now add stars. (thanks Thomas P.)
- Made DDSLoader optional; you only need it when you use DDS texture format.
- Removed DDSLoader from the main package.
- All directories now reside on GameData folder (thanks CaptRobau).
- Updated KittopiaTech license file.
- Updated ModuleManager to version 2.5.13.
- Updated DDSLoader to version 1.9.

Download it here.

P.S. This is probably the last release of KopernicusTech, since Kopernicus is being actively developed again now. Sooner or later, it will have it's own PQS loader, and doesn't need KittopiaTech anymore, at least in most cases.

Edited by Gravitasi

KopernicusTech v0.13 has been released!

Here are some important changes on the update:

Config loader/saver update

The config loader/saver now supports more PQS parameters. Choose a planet and select the save button to see all of the new parameters. (WATCH OUT! Don't accidentally replace your own KittopiaTech config). The loader also now support multiple PQS mods. So, you can now add several PQS mods that have a same type.

Voronoi craters support

(thanks BorisBee!)

You can now add procedural craters on your planet, using PQSMod_VoronoiCraters. Read HarvesteR's Dev Blag about it here to get a general idea of how it works and what each parameters on the mod does.

Star fix

(thanks Thomas P.!)

Stars are working now. You can add them via Kopernicus config. (By the way, the update doesn't include the new starfix derived from StarSystem; I'm afraid we have to wait for the official Kopernicus release)

Here's the complete changes from changelog:

v0.13
26 Mar 2015
- Generic saver and loader for PQS mods; both now support more parameters.
- Multiple PQS mods support.
- Made HeightColorMap customizable (thanks BorisBee).
- Fixed VoronoiCrater; you can now add procedural craters (thanks BorisBee).
- Allowed KittopiaTech configs to reside on subfolders (thanks BorisBee).
- Fixed a bug on star/planet sorting procedure; You can now add stars. (thanks Thomas P.)
- Made DDSLoader optional; you only need it when you use DDS texture format.
- Removed DDSLoader from the main package.
- All directories now reside on GameData folder (thanks CaptRobau).
- Updated KittopiaTech license file.
- Updated ModuleManager to version 2.5.13.
- Updated DDSLoader to version 1.9.

Download it here.

P.S. This is probably the last release of KopernicusTech, since Kopernicus is being actively developed again now. Sooner or later, it will have it's own PQS loader, and doesn't need KittopiaTech anymore, at least in most cases.

Thanks for the update

Hi guys - I just wanted to bring to your attention that Christian Petry has updated the online normal map generator, at my request, to be able to change the transparency. So you can save your normals at 50% instead of having to do that in another program. I haven't tried it yet.

Hi guys - I just wanted to bring to your attention that Christian Petry has updated the online normal map generator, at my request, to be able to change the transparency. So you can save your normals at 50% instead of having to do that in another program. I haven't tried it yet.

Owersome! Now I no longer need to bother with urgently converting everything to. Dss

- - - Updated - - -

The height color map is the color map overlayed over the height map. Aka the one you see when you're seeing the terrain itself.

Annnd... How do we overlay the color map over the height?

Annnd... How do we overlay the color map over the height?

You have in all likelihood been doing that already. Here are some examples from my mod:

PQSMod_VertexColorMapBlend
{
modEnabled = True
vertexColorMap = GameData/OPM/KopernicusConfigs/SarnusMoons/Textures/Slate_map.dds
blend = 1.0
order = 9999993
}

or

PQSMod_VertexColorMap
{
modEnabled = True
vertexColorMap = GameData/OPM/KopernicusConfigs/UrlumMoons/Textures/Priax_map.dds
blend = 1.0
order = 9999993
}

I'm not sure what the difference is, but I couldn't get Priax to work with the VertexColorMapBlend I used for most of my other planets, so I used VertexColorMap

- - - Updated - - -

I have a question: how do I create custom textures for rings? I've taken a look at the images OPM and other packs have and I'm at a complete blank how they made it.

I based them on Saturn and Uranus ring textures from Google. The ring textures I have in my mod are only 1 px wide to reduce the memory footprint, but if I want to edit them I scale them as wide as they are tall. That way it looks kind of like what you see in the Google link above and you get an idea that when changing something it will look so and so in-game. When editing I also often place a black layer below the semi-transparent rings textures to see what the more transparent bit will look like in space. Hope this helps.

I based them on Saturn and Uranus ring textures from Google. The ring textures I have in my mod are only 1 px wide to reduce the memory footprint, but if I want to edit them I scale them as wide as they are tall. That way it looks kind of like what you see in the Google link above and you get an idea that when changing something it will look so and so in-game. When editing I also often place a black layer below the semi-transparent rings textures to see what the more transparent bit will look like in space. Hope this helps.

Thanks! That does help a lot.

You have in all likelihood been doing that already. Here are some examples from my mod:

PQSMod_VertexColorMapBlend
{
modEnabled = True
vertexColorMap = GameData/OPM/KopernicusConfigs/SarnusMoons/Textures/Slate_map.dds
blend = 1.0
order = 9999993
}

or

PQSMod_VertexColorMap
{
modEnabled = True
vertexColorMap = GameData/OPM/KopernicusConfigs/UrlumMoons/Textures/Priax_map.dds
blend = 1.0
order = 9999993
}

I'm not sure what the difference is, but I couldn't get Priax to work with the VertexColorMapBlend I used for most of my other planets, so I used VertexColorMap

- - - Updated - - -

OK... Also, I have a problem where the terrain doesn't look as detailed as seen from the surface. Like, spikes won't appear from Orbit but they would only appear when in Scaled Space. Here's a idea for our that I already kind of made for my mod: an ice moon with cracks trough with you can see wager and a thin white atmosphere.

There's another problem I had when creating: if I set heightMap deformity to 15000, everything appears to bumpy and hilly. Is there something different between your height map mod and mine from Kerbol Plus?