KSP 1.0 General Thread + All the new features

Daze

I don't think they're separate parts. I think they have a very tall texture and are using different parts of said texture. note the top "yellow" piece has evidence at its top of repeating the same pattern that the bottom pieces have.

Might be as the inner texture of the bottom part looks like continue to the first tube part, the bottom is distorted as its an cone.

However this points to me of an generated fairing, getting that effect with separate parts is plenty of work, far easier to make textures for each part independent.

I can not explain why the texture changes from first tubular part to the next unless the textures are scaled and the second tube is seen as the top cone.

Still the most puzzling is the two almost similar tube fairings then two of the same type would work just as well.

Maxmaps didn't refer to mods, or even use the word "procedural" in his SQ comment about the fairing separation picture. Move to 58:30 in linked video.

Yes and before he talked about Squad not wanting procedural parts all over. However an previous video showed the construction of an fairing, even an pretty crazy one was made.

Might be different interpretations. They don't want procedural parts, I mainly want in for fuel options for spaceplanes myself, something who is pretty easy to do.

wait kerbals have gender?

i thought there where androgynous plant/fungus people as i see no other way they are green and dont need to eat or drink.

tho more complex aerodynamics are long overdue in my mind and almost every think else looks good to me

Edited by searlefm

wait kerbals have gender?

i thought there where androgynous plant/fungus people as i see no other way they are green and dont need to eat or drink.

They were supposed to be androgynous but - like most other things that are created by humans - they look far to distinctively male to be reasonably considered anything but male. So after much pressure from the community (myself very much included) and a lot of thought and work, they have added female Kerbals as well.

A friend was telling me that a few months ago in devnotes delta-v calculators and other small but important things were scrapped, is this true?

I don't know about "other small but important things," and I don't even *know* about dV indicators (no calculators were ever announced) but considering they were merely hinted at, and then the next thing they said was that they probably wouldn't make it in for 1.0, I suspect that in fact we'll not have them.

They were supposed to be androgynous but - like most other things that are created by humans - they look far to distinctively male to be reasonably considered anything but male.

IMHO the error was around the short hair cuts. Particularly in the western world, we're really determined that short hair is masculine, and long is feminine. I'm sure an androgynous kerbal is quite possible, but it needs to look more like a '70s David Bowie than a '50s test pilot :)

IMHO the error was around the short hair cuts. Particularly in the western world, we're really determined that short hair is masculine, and long is feminine. I'm sure an androgynous kerbal is quite possible, but it needs to look more like a '70s David Bowie than a '50s test pilot :)

And the square jaw. Those are both things you give to cartoon characters to make them look male, and Kerbals are basically cartoon characters.

And the square jaw. Those are both things you give to cartoon characters to make them look male, and Kerbals are basically cartoon characters.

Lol, that too :) Cylindrical heads come with straight lines, and we do interpret that as pretty mannish.

...well now I have an urge to design and paint a better androgynous kerbal, even though it's far too late to be of any use...

Since x64 was pulled from .90 recently and its been stated that it will most likely not be included in 1.0, I'm wondering if this is also true for the Linux version of this game. I'm loving x64 on Linux and I hope I can continue to do so in 1.0.

Since x64 was pulled from .90 recently and its been stated that it will most likely not be included in 1.0, I'm wondering if this is also true for the Linux version of this game. I'm loving x64 on Linux and I hope I can continue to do so in 1.0.

The official word so far is that Win64 will be discontinued but Linux64 will still be available.

The official word so far is that Win64 will be discontinued but Linux64 will still be available.

Yes, win64 has problems because of unity bugs, we will not get win64 until unity 5 version. This does not affect Linux at all. Make me wonder why it is an linux 32 version? Last 32 bit cpu was Pentium 4 as far as I know.

I'd rather they continued work on 1.0 than stop and switch to Unity 5.

Updating the engine would taker a lot of work and delay the next update by many months. I doubt we'd see it this year.

As I understand it, having worked with Unity a bit, switching to Unity 5 could be a huge project. A lot of the way things are coded in Unity 4 is different than Unity 5, and the change could end up taking months.

They were supposed to be androgynous but - like most other things that are created by humans - they look far to distinctively male to be reasonably considered anything but male. So after much pressure from the community (myself very much included) and a lot of thought and work, they have added female Kerbals as well.

but this is a game about failing to make rockets how dose ... of the kerbals matter in any way?

- - - Updated - - -

but this is a game about failing to make rockets how dose the chromosomes of a kerbale matter in any way?

but this is a game about failing to make rockets how dose ... of the kerbals matter in any way?

- - - Updated - - -

but this is a game about failing to make rockets how dose the chromosomes of a kerbale matter in any way?

KSP, like any other game, has human players. About 50% of humans are women/girls.

I was going to post in the thread about time based mechanics, but apparently that devolved into bickering.

Come on, guys, we can be better than that.

This was my post:

quote_icon.pngWould have been posted by Tw1 viewpost-right.png

Time based mechanics would be a great thing to have in the game.

Adding several things you must balance to make sure time is being wisely would be a great step towards the game being a real space program experience, and not just (awesome)rocket lego with a point scoring system slapped on.

The bad thing about this is it seems another feature they're just throwing in out of nowhere. This game really ought to be experimented with, and thought out a lot more before it's really 'finished'.

It is a little better, giving stations and maybe bases some more purpose, other than something you deliver to fulfil a contract.

Add something like Station Science, or the research contact idea I discussed in my more recent blog posts, and stations will be properly useful, and awesome.

Looking forward to experimenting with it when I get around to installing 1.0.

Also, let's not open up the female kerbal debate again. Kerbals are the human analogs in the game. The majority of humans fall into two categories, male, and female. But the existing kerbals all looked male.

Adding female looking kerbals will help female humans connect with the game. Plus, it's only fair that both sides get to feel represented in the game.

Edited by Tw1

The OP is getting out of date, lol. A bunch of smaller in scope, but very neat stuff has been added to the game in the last 2-3 Devnotes. But, I suppose the entire thread becomes obsolete very soon: Squad will publish a nice change-list article, and we'll "get to work" in a new 1.0 discussion thread.

The OP is getting out of date, lol. A bunch of smaller in scope, but very neat stuff has been added to the game in the last 2-3 Devnotes. But, I suppose the entire thread becomes obsolete very soon: Squad will publish a nice change-list article, and we'll "get to work" in a new 1.0 discussion thread.

Actually the real reason is that i lost the "count" :/ , if you tell me the new news i will update the OP :)

I was going to post in the thread about time based mechanics, but apparently that devolved into bickering.

Come on, guys, we can be better than that.

This was my post:

Also, let's not open up the female kerbal debate again. Kerbals are the human analogs in the game. The majority of humans fall into two categories, male, and female. But the existing kerbals all looked male.

Adding female looking kerbals will help female humans connect with the game. Plus, it's only fair that both sides get to feel represented in the game.

Well ,as of the latest devnotes we know that the Lab will now generate Science from collected Science over time. And it also will not be "timewarp your way to infinite science" either.

Quote from devnotes:

This week, along with various other tweaks and fixes, we’ve been having a look at the Science systems, specifically the purpose of the Lab module, which so far hasn’t been very worthwhile in terms of effort spent vs. the rewards it brings. We’ve completely rethought how Science Labs work now. Instead of merely boosting the xmit factor of a science experiment for a small amount (something that scientists can do now), and allowing you to restore inoperable experiments (also something scientists can do now), the Lab now works much more like a long-term research facility. Now, when you run experiments, you can transfer data to the lab just as before, but instead of a quick process for a small boost in the xmit factor, the data fed to the lab will generate a steady output of Science for a very long time, ultimately yielding far more science than transmitting or even recovering. This, of course, requires the labs to be manned by scientists, and have a steady supply of electricity. It should greatly increase the benefits of setting up orbiting science stations and surface bases, however, and also give you good reason to visit them every now and then. (The data does decay after a while, and the labs can only hold so much processed data before having to transmit, so don’t expect to be able to timewarp your way to infinite science).

I usually care very little about the gender in games, to me its more about how a charachter is done (if that charachter matters at all). Concerning KSP, I like the addition because it'll give some more personality to the small green men.

Also, now we got 4 Redshirts to throw into our interplanetary death machines. :D

Edited by Temeter