KSP 1.0 General Thread + All the new features

Daze

Will be interesting to see the game function beyond the2.5km bubble. I foresee renewed talk of space elevators. Obviously not on Kerbin though.

I hadn't thought of that. Sadly, Gilly's synchronous orbit is the tightest of all worlds' and it's over 3x farther than the bubble at 42km. So you couldn't even build a space elevator and be in the middle of it (to use the entire 25km stretch).

And even if it was, you'd only accomplish a Krakening.

I hadn't thought of that. Sadly, Gilly's synchronous orbit is the tightest of all worlds' and it's over 3x farther than the bubble at 42km. So you couldn't even build a space elevator and be in the middle of it (to use the entire 25km stretch).

I'm new enough to the game that I'm not too familiar with all the bodies yet. I figured there would be a small moon that it could make sense but I guess not. Still a lot of implications.

The space tether experiment NASA conducted years ago would be possible. Just excited to explore the possibilites.

I'm new enough to the game that I'm not too familiar with all the bodies yet. I figured there would be a small moon that it could make sense but I guess not. Still a lot of implications.

The space tether experiment NASA conducted years ago would be possible. Just excited to explore the possibilites.

You know what? I actually screwed up. The bubble is 22.5km not 12.5km. So TECHNICALLY you could build something 21km long and attach it upright to Gilly, then build something else 21km long and attach it to the top of that thing, and then ...

... watch the Kraken eat it alive. Let's be serious. But in theory it would all fit in the physics bubble.

You know what? I actually screwed up. The bubble is 22.5km not 12.5km. So TECHNICALLY you could build something 21km long and attach it upright to Gilly, then build something else 21km long and attach it to the top of that thing, and then ...

... watch the Kraken eat it alive. Let's be serious. But in theory it would all fit in the physics bubble.

I'm not sure this has been tested, but I was under the impression that the bubble only applied with respect to two different craft, not a single extra-long craft.

I don't think it CAN be tested. The game would eat the whole planet before you could get something that big.

But if you COULD in theory get something 42km long attached to the surface of Gilly, and you COULD get a ship in orbit near it, would it load? Currently OR with the expanded physics bubble?

I don't think it CAN be tested. The game would eat the whole planet before you could get something that big.

But if you COULD in theory get something 42km long attached to the surface of Gilly, and you COULD get a ship in orbit near it, would it load? Currently OR with the expanded physics bubble?

It should be fairly easy to test, if you can use savefile editing to create a craft with one of its components displaced 30km to one side.

It wouldn't have to have a ridiculous number of parts, nor require any modding.

It should be fairly easy to test, if you can use savefile editing to create a craft with one of its components displaced 30km to one side.

It wouldn't have to have a ridiculous number of parts, nor require any modding.

Nice suggestion. Will try it for fun but I'd just assume the craft will end up being kraken bait.

About planets....

I think it would be amazing if after 1.0, we had planet packs. We have them now, but it would be cool to have official planet packs, that aren't part of a mod, just more stock planets. (I think i remember squad saying something about having DLCs)

They were going to make multiplayer a payed for DLC, but then a very vocal minority went [guano] insane over the idea, so I'm not sure we'll ever get any. The only real upside to this is that multiplayer is now a confirmed feature for a post 1.0 free update.

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Easy with the language, please.

They were going to make multiplayer a payed for DLC, but then a very vocal minority went [guano] insane over the idea, so I'm not sure we'll ever get any. The only real upside to this is that multiplayer is now a confirmed feature for a post 1.0 free update.

They were not going to make multiplayer a paid DLC. People went insane about the idea of any feature being paid DLC due to an ambiguous comment Harvester made one time, not based on any actual plans.

They were not going to make multiplayer a paid DLC. People went insane about the idea of any feature being paid DLC due to an ambiguous comment Harvester made one time, not based on any actual plans.

For clarification, they are going to make multiplayer a free update and I am not horribly mistaken. probably

Edited by NFUN

I do remember a lot of drama surrounding what he said. I can't remember all the details about it but I did think he went above and beyond what I thought would be fair on his part. I think I remember something about their being a deadline of when you bought it that included all future content for free, not just updates. It may have changed since then but I do remember something like that.

You should probably clarify this, the original post linked to said that they may be added, not that they were confirmed to be adding heat shields as standalone parts, and the 4/10 squadcast clearly stated that they have not added standalone heatshields. Probably a minor oversight, since you do include a statement from that same squadcast about the potential for fairings to function as heatshields.

I'm still kind of curious about the ore. Will we be able to store it in the fuel tanks, or will it be insta-processed into Fuel and Oxidizer? Will it cost enough to bring it back and recover for profit? If so I hope sliding the slider in difficulty options all the way down will increase it's cost as it is more rare in the solar system.

erm... I share your hope, I really do, but I'm not *entirely* sure about this one. It really depends on how far up they separate and more importantly: what speed and angle you're going/accellerating at. When I was experimenting with RATO (Rocket Assisted Take-Off) on my spaceplanes, I was already able to recover the boosters from under the wings with the current physics bubble by setting the chutes to open at 50m above ground, but it's a different matter entirely when using rockets.

If you use the larges SRB's currently available in stock, you're likely to ditch them somewhere around the 10km mark (assuming a regular ascent profile) and you'll be going pretty fast when you do, probably over 200m/s. The booster will fall to the ground, but you'll probably be accelarating away from it faster than it is falling. Add to that the fact that its travel time to the gorund is amplified by the thicker atmoshpere and the chutes, and you'll find that they'll likely leave physics bubble before they hit the ground.

That being said, there's a LOT of balance changes in the works. Maybe it will work in 1.0 (God I hope it does, I REALLY would like downrange SRB recovery). But as with everything in life: hope for the bet, prepare for the worst. But still hope for the best of course.

I was considering this more for landing at the end of a mission.

Instead of separating crew module from the science and support module just prior to landing and risk landing on it or having it land on the crew module (both of which have happened to me), separate much higher, popping it's chutes so it will land further away but still land because it's still within the physics bubble.

Being able to recover ascent stages would be good too.

Correct.

And the downside being that usually the choice is not between "free DLC" or "paid DLC", but between "paid DLC" or "no DLC"...

As a license owner, I would have prefered to pay for a huge amount of DLCs, over to receive one or two basic DLCs for free and nothing more.

A pity, in my humble opinion.

I hope they keep the aero simple-less turbulence and complex formulas. I'm not saying keeping in unrealistic, just similar to NEAR.

I don't want to have to learn aerophysics as well as astro. :P

NEAR = FAR without mach >1 physics and that useful tool in VAB/SPH (It was a joke by Ferram to all the people screaming at too much realism of FAR)

It's just placebo that NEAR is good and easy and FAR is super difficult

I'm still kind of curious about the ore. Will we be able to store it in the fuel tanks, or will it be insta-processed into Fuel and Oxidizer? Will it cost enough to bring it back and recover for profit? If so I hope sliding the slider in difficulty options all the way down will increase it's cost as it is more rare in the solar system.

If it's going to be like Karbonite, there is no point in storing it.

It's just placebo that NEAR is good and easy and FAR is super difficult

Not entirely, my only input on how NEAR should differ from FAR was that I found the shifting COL past mach 1 to be a pain, and that's one thing NEAR dropped.