KSP 1.0 General Thread + All the new features

Daze

I just watched some guy playing who couldn't even find the new Mk3 wings, so he went about building with Mk2 parts until everyone told him literally what column and row the wing could be found in. I'm barely seeing anything cool in these streams and the music, oh god, the music. :(

Was that in the stream? Of course it was during the 3 minutes that the stream timed out so I figured I'd make some tea.

Being in the debug menu implies it's not complete. So long as it exists I'll be happy.

Yeah, it was during the chat, someone replied to me that it's in the debug menu.

Trying to get Tanuki to show it but she doesn't want to *shrug* Maybe the deltaV readout is in there too.

HarvesteR was thinking about the problem over the course of three weeks / devnotes, looks like it needed more bake-time in the oven.

...I’m back to working on the aerodynamics again, this time on a new UI overlay for the editor, which should help visualizing the air-worthiness of a spaceplane before taking to the tarmac. More on that as it develops into something worth showing. At the moment there is very little to actually see.
The original idea was to draw stable and unstable ranges, based on the assumption that instability would have a more or less clear boundary. Testing shows that this isn’t the case, and there are small variations which need to be visible for the tests to make sense.

Based on the dev output alone however, following its guidance I was able to construct a nice, stable craft which flew just as the overlay estimated it would, so that was good. We’re past the technical part of this feature, and it’s now largely a design problem… Which isn’t saying it became any easier however.

Many tweaks and additions to talk about this week. The Stability overlay has been progressing slowly, so that’s on the backburner for a bit, to make time to take care of other issues that were still pending. I’ve been helping out with integrating the new aerodynamics...
Edited by basic.syntax

This thread's about a zillion pages long now, so sorry if it's been answered, but: I heard that the loading times have been drastically reduced and that the performance-inhibiting memory leak near the ground has been fixed, but how has 1.0 affected performance / framerates in general? Have any announcements been made about improved performance?

This thread's about a zillion pages long now, so sorry if it's been answered, but: I heard that the loading times have been drastically reduced and that the performance-inhibiting memory leak near the ground has been fixed, but how has 1.0 affected performance / framerates in general? Have any announcements been made about improved performance?

They said load times were better than 50% (ie, if it takes a minute now it should take less than 30 seconds in 1.0) and all known memory leaks are fixed.

Also, there is a "this thread" search at the top of every page and it works pretty well.

Edited by 5thHorseman

What really makes me wonder is why all the streamers up until now have so great problems with spaceplanes and overheating on launch (to say nothing about reentry). In FAR+ Deadly Reentry it was a distinct learning curve to handle the heat with the right launch / reentry angle, speed and such plus some new lessons about building spaceplanes. But from what i have seen in 1.0 it seems that the cockpits and wings dont show any heatshielding at all. Is this correct? Or is it simply the problem of these people transitioning from the soup to some kind of legit athmosphere?

They have heat shielding, its not up for flying at mach 3 at sealevel. First anybody who test planes do is try to fly low and fast.

Then coming in with an spaceplane you want to slow down high in the atmosphere so you glide down slowly.

An more kerbal idea might be to use the air brakes once you start getting reentry heat effects, if you use them while keeping nose up it looks like it will slow you down fast, perhaps pump them on and off so they don't overheat.

If no one has noticed before me the name of the nw Xenon tank is the PB-X750 Xenon Container which carries 5250 units of Xenon, courtesy of EE's vid.

And some of the big wings are "Big 5" parts.

The drills are named drill-o-matic.

One of the scanners is the M700 Survey Scanner.

The fairings are called Airstream Protective Shells.

Edited by Yukon0009

How about adding new stuff that is either an extension of things already listed, or new unto themselves?

* Solar Panels reducing heat like a radiator now

* Parts retaining their heat much longer, and slowly dissipating it

* Engineers influence the rate at which Ore is retrieved, and increase the ore drills ability.

Things like this?

How about adding new stuff that is either an extension of things already listed, or new unto themselves?

* Solar Panels reducing heat like a radiator now

* Parts retaining their heat much longer, and slowly dissipating it

* Engineers influence the rate at which Ore is retrieved, and increase the ore drills ability.

Things like this?

Arent solar panels supposed to add heat to a craft instead of radiating it? I am confused :/

Arent solar panels supposed to add heat to a craft instead of radiating it? I am confused :/

Kerbals have invented a super effective insulator so they can use the solar side of a solar panel to generate electricity and the shadow side to dissipate heat.

Or something like that ;)

in the face of all the profit-predatory tactics cancering in on the gaming industry, SQUAD is my only hope. The diaspora from mainstream to.. to... THIS. honestly, i wait in happy anticipation knowing that whatever the changes, it'll be an awesome experience all over again. grow and grow, KSP/SQUAD! wooo!!!

engineer, atmo, fems, warp to node, so many others... adding mods, doin their own thing... collaboration over competition! MMMMHMMmm.... SQUAD DOES IT RIGHT!

i'm NOT watching so that when i load a vanilla it'll be like for the first time all over again.... mmmhm

Is there any written list of the updated engine stats? And how the thrust/Isp scaling works? We've already seen in the streams that KR-2L is now an upper stage engine only...

ISP is still there. It just won't change fuel consumption rate anymore, but caused reduced engine thrust in atmospheres (with constant fuel consumption). Which means you need stronger lower stage engines (or moar boosters) to compensate for the lost thrust.

That's not enough to make the rather powerful KR-2L an upper stage engine, It rather seems like Squad did heavily nerf the atmospheric efficiency of some engines. Makes sense with the thinner atmosphere.

Did anybody notice whether the 'slippery ladder' bug has been fixed?

You mean that kerbals fell of the top of a ladder? That one is fixed and part of the climbing system.

Edited by Temeter

ISP is still there. It just won't change fuel consumption rate anymore, but caused reduced engine thrust in atmospheres (with constant fuel consumption). Which means you need stronger lower stage engines.

You mean that kerbals fell of the top of a ladder? That one is fixed and part of the climbing system.

No, I mean where they would just sort of slide down the ladder, even in micro-g, falling off of it even....

No, I mean where they would just sort of slide down the ladder, even in micro-g, falling off of it even....

No clue, rarely had that issue. In fact, my recent eve lander had a perfectly working ladder despite leaning 30 degrees ot the side.

Did anybody notice whether the 'slippery ladder' bug has been fixed?

No I think he means where you get out of the pod and (assuming you don't fly away) your Kerbal slowly slides up or down the ladder until he falls off the end.