Iran unveils mockup of their one-man ship

xenomorph555

As an attempt to put the political side of things to bed in this thread, I'll point out that Iran already has orbital payload capabilities, albeit not in a manned class.

Abstractly, I think it's very cool that Iran has managed to come this far despite all the political and economic pressure to do otherwise. And I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with this launch. (Maybe when I finally get around to an RSS install, I'll use Kerbinside to play as the Iranian Space Agency and see if I can't beat them at the game!)

As an aside, do we have any news about the rocket they plan to lift this with?

Unfortunately at the moment we don't, however as I have stated before there is really only 2 rockets Iran has capable of doing it; the Shahab-3 (tried and true rocket used for space missions before) and the Simorgh (new large cluster engine rocket, probably having it's first launch this year).

As an attempt to put the political side of things to bed in this thread, I'll point out that Iran already has orbital payload capabilities, albeit not in a manned class.

Abstractly, I think it's very cool that Iran has managed to come this far despite all the political and economic pressure to do otherwise. And I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with this launch. (Maybe when I finally get around to an RSS install, I'll use Kerbinside to play as the Iranian Space Agency and see if I can't beat them at the game!)

I think rss has a facility in iran set up

So the service module is still attached to the capsule during re-entry. Interesting design choice, that might mean the capsule only contains computers and parachutes with all life support being contained within the service module meaning it needs to remain attached. I wonder why they would design it this way.

So the service module is still attached to the capsule during re-entry. Interesting design choice, that might mean the capsule only contains computers and parachutes with all life support being contained within the service module meaning it needs to remain attached. I wonder why they would design it this way.

Maybe it's going to be reusable? If it is, then reusing the SM makes sense.

Edited by Reddragon

Having more space for the astronaut with smaller diameter ! :wink:

Maybe it's going to be reusable? If it is, then reusing the SM makes sense.

Considering they have less resources that would be a good feature to have.

Not at all a fair comparison, since the Iranian capsule only holds 1 person and the others there hold 3 or more I believe.

Dat Soyuz though, small...

Considering they have less resources that would be a good feature to have.

Nothing about less resources !

This is a suborbital capsule designed only for one person ... orbital capsule will be much bigger & for 3 person !

Nothing about less resources !

This is a suborbital capsule designed only for one person ... orbital capsule will be much bigger & for 3 person !

Even with the resources, with only $74 million each year Iran won't be able to pump out Class E's like Mercury:

mercuryspacecraft1.jpg

Anyway your probably right about the other point, my first guess was because it's suborbital there's less stress and therefore can survive re-entry with the service module attached.

Just a note about heat shielding... the body shape AFTER the HS does not really matter for heating purposes... it does matter for Aerodynamics but not so much for heating, now they might need to coat the back body with some type of ablative but it will not have as much heat flux

I was thinking that having all the life support and service module equipment at the bottom might help act as ballast.

I think some of the old Soyuz used metal ballast weights to help keep them up right during reentry.

Yeah your right. Although it was carefully placed equipment ballast, not metal in the Soyuz.

Soyuz has more internal volume than the Apollo CM.

- - - Updated - - -

"Service module" is a bit of an overstatement. It only needs to carry life support for a few minutes of flight and some fuel for the RCS thrusters at the top. Those tanks in the mockup look like they're just for show. It probably also acts as a crumple zone for the landing, if lands on solid ground with parachutes, it's going to need it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.