[WIP] TweakScale - Development Thread

pellinor

Dev update:
* fix drag cube scaling

The drag cubes need to be scaled later now. If I scale onLoad (like before) or onStart, KSP overwrites the changes with the initial values. Now I scale in the first update and it seems to work.

On 20.04.2016 at 2:28 AM, pellinor said:

Dev update:
* new stock parts'
* new TWEAKSCALEBEHAVIOR[Science] which contains a mass exponent of 2 and a cost exponent of -1. I'm still considering making the cost -2.

I've been playing around with science parts today, I agree with you DryCost = -2 works great both for stock and for DMagic science parts. Basically, reducing the size by 50% triples the cost.

The -1 exponent is still in the boundaries of cheating, with it you pay only double for making the Science Bay 4 times lighter.

Dev update:
* basic wheel scaling: scaled wheels work but still behave strange. They roll, are pretty close to touching the ground, and are able to bounce.
* make sure the exponents are applied before notifying other mods through the API (needed for interaction with FAR)
* make sure not to write a scaled value into part.mass

Wheel issues:
* scaled wheels still float slightly above the ground
* enlarged wheels seem to bounce by clipping the ground instead of using their suspendion
* radius is currently scaled with an exponent of 0.5, which seems to work best but makes no sense

I've left possible candidates as comments in ScaleExponents.cfg. Feel free to play around and see if you can find a setting that works better.

On 3.5.2016 at 3:54 PM, Enceos said:

I've been playing around with science parts today, I agree with you DryCost = -2 works great both for stock and for DMagic science parts. Basically, reducing the size by 50% triples the cost.

The -1 exponent is still in the boundaries of cheating, with it you pay only double for making the Science Bay 4 times lighter.

I've tweaked it to -1.5, maybe that's a good middle ground. Since 0.5^-1.5 = 2.83 it also fits your description "reducing the size by 50% triples the cost".

1 minute ago, pellinor said:

I've tweaked it to -1.5, maybe that's a good middle ground. Since 0.5^-1.5 = 2.83 it also fits your description "reducing the size by 50% triples the cost".

I made it -3 for myself, and I like it :3

Edited by Enceos

I've got a weird one for you, resizing my tanks using TS makes every resized tank have the volume of the last resized one, so I end up with a tiny 1.25m tank having a 60kl volume, it may be a conflict with another mod but if anyone else has this issue it would be good to know.

Thanks for the great mod, by the way.

Edited by GillyTheGhillie

On 8.5.2016 at 5:16 PM, GillyTheGhillie said:

I've got a weird one for you, resizing my tanks using TS makes every resized tank have the volume of the last resized one, so I end up with a tiny 1.25m tank having a 60kl volume, it may be a conflict with another mod but if anyone else has this issue it would be good to know.

Thanks for the great mod, by the way.

I see this too, needs TweakScale+MFT. Thanks for reporting!

3 hours ago, pellinor said:

I see this too, needs TweakScale+MFT. Thanks for reporting!

I don't have MFT, I do however have RealFuels which I'm guessing uses a very similar method to change contents as MFT. I also have RSS and a bunch of minor parts mods, Interstellar and Mechjeb, I can give you my .ckan if you'd like it for debugging: CKAN file.

Edited by GillyTheGhillie

1 hour ago, Deltathiago98 said:

When I try to Download the stable version, it says: Can not charge the website. I just can download the Dev version. Any idea why? :) 

Thanks, that one still pointed to kerbalStuff.

21 minutes ago, GillyTheGhillie said:

I don't have MFT, I do however have RealFuels which I'm guessing uses a very similar method to change contents as MFT. I also have RSS and a bunch of minor parts mods, Interstellar and Mechjeb, I can give you my .ckan if you'd like it for debugging: CKAN file.

No further reproduction needed, I'm seeing the same thing. And realFuels / MFT actually use the same code. This also explains your engine issue because the realEngines - TweakScale interaction is not ready yet.

1 hour ago, pellinor said:

Thanks, that one still pointed to kerbalStuff.

No further reproduction needed, I'm seeing the same thing. And realFuels / MFT actually use the same code. This also explains your engine issue because the realEngines - TweakScale interaction is not ready yet.

Ah, I've taken to using procedural parts for now, also is it possible that you could add an "override" option to tweaking engines, where power increases with the square of the radius and mass with the cube, because I don't think I've seen an engine that actually uses scaling so far. That or my game is glitched/conflict with another mod. Anyway, thanks for the great mod!

Dev update:
* fix part message for MFT

22 hours ago, GillyTheGhillie said:

Ah, I've taken to using procedural parts for now, also is it possible that you could add an "override" option to tweaking engines, where power increases with the square of the radius and mass with the cube, because I don't think I've seen an engine that actually uses scaling so far. That or my game is glitched/conflict with another mod. Anyway, thanks for the great mod!

There already is a config interface for defining all of TweakScale's behavior. ScaleExponents.cfg contains the default scaling behavior, ScaleTypes.cfg (mainly) defines configs for the scaling slider. The cfgs in the patches folder define what parts are scaleable and can override the default exponents. You can change all of those things wiht MM patches.

Dev update:
* workaround for tweakable bug: extra factor 500% for the free scaletypes
  (so the range from 200-400% is usable)
* don't interfere if other mods illegaly write part.mass. Print a warning in this case

Edit:
* maxFuelFlow exponent for moduleRCS

Edited by pellinor

Dev update:
* scaling of crew capacity (hardcoded to use the mass exponent for now)

For upscaled parts, excess crew will log errors because they get no IVA seat, and will not get a crew portrait (same behavior as raising crewCapacity with a MM patch). Other than that everything should work.

Edited by pellinor

Hi guys, I'm working on some new envelopes for the HL Airships rebirth and am having some issues when scaling envelope sections,  I've been using a freescale  up to now, and while the envelope and mass scales perfectly the volume does not, so in effect making it bigger actually reduces the envelopes lifting power instead of increasing it. AT this point I'm not sure if it's the HL Airships DLL not playing nice with TS or just something I'm missing, do i need to define a different scaletype? accessing a different exponent.?   The parts connect using stack nodes only.

Thanks for your time

Spoiler

aIk8hH8.png

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)
image of the parts i'm trying to scale

16 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi guys, I'm working on some new envelopes for the HL Airships rebirth and am having some issues when scaling envelope sections,  I've been using a freescale  up to now, and while the envelope and mass scales perfectly the volume does not, so in effect making it bigger actually reduces the envelopes lifting power instead of increasing it. AT this point I'm not sure if it's the HL Airships DLL not playing nice with TS or just something I'm missing, do i need to define a different scaletype? accessing a different exponent.?   The parts connect using stack nodes only.

Thanks for your time

Reveal hidden contents

aIk8hH8.png

Try adding this (in a cfg file anywhere in GameData):

TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS
{
    name = HLEnvelopePartModule
    envelopeVolume = 3
}

You could also try envelopeVolumeScale, but the above seems more apropriate. If it works I can add it to the TweakScale configs.

4 minutes ago, pellinor said:

Try adding this (in a cfg file anywhere in GameData):

TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS
{
    name = HLEnvelopePartModule
    envelopeVolume = 3
}

You could also try envelopeVolumeScale, but the above seems more apropriate. If it works I can add it to the TweakScale configs.

Thanks muchly I'll try it right now

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.