[WIP] TweakScale - Development Thread

pellinor

hi,

I like this feature, but I think its abit overpowered to use it in carreer mode. but some mods like infernal robotics assume, that it is installed.

I think the idea of infernal robotics part not to give 100 different sized parts but use tweakscale is a very good idea, but i do not like to be able to scale all parts.

So I can either have bad-scaled robotics parts. Or everything is scaleable.

Or is there a way to only make some parts scaleable?

This can be solved with a single MM patch, see here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/112693-1-0-4-TweakScale-v2-2-1%28Jun-26%29-Drag-cube-scaling?p=2214327&viewfull=1#post2214327

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone got the config?

You can just copy from other configs in the TweakScale/patches folder. A simple patch has the form

@PART[insertNameHere]
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

small Dev update:

* support for a few missing stock parts (thanks jojoa1997)

* fix typo (thanks Wercho)

* stock radiator support: scaling maxEnergyTransfer in ModuleActiveRadiator with scale^2. It looks like there is nothing to scale for the passive radiators. Please test, I am not sure how these parts are supposed to behave. One panel at 200% size should now do the work of four panels at original size.

* Scale ImpactRange for stock drill modules. This is what determines if the drill has ground contact or not.

Have noticed that when resizing the vanilla drills, the sweet spot for ore extraction doesn't change and the drill visual effect is shown under the ground. Hope you can fix this. ty

ImpactRange fixed (see above). The placement of the effect seems roughly ok to me, the problem is particle effects generally are not scaled. I opened a github issue for this bug. No idea yet how to solve it.

Is anyone familiar with particle effects? Is it intended behavior that they do not scale with the transform of a part? Is it advisable to postpone this issue until KSP1.1 is available?

Not sure whether this has been mentioned, but I am having a slight issue with rescaled masses, specifically with engines although I'm not sure whether it happens with anything else as well. If the parts are rescaled down and then attached, the mass is scaled down appropriately and remains correct when launched. But if the vehicle is reverted, the downscaled engines revert to their normal mass value. The only solution is to remove the engines, then grab new ones, rescale them and re-add them. This is with the latest main release (not the dev release)

Not sure whether this has been mentioned, but I am having a slight issue with rescaled masses, specifically with engines although I'm not sure whether it happens with anything else as well. If the parts are rescaled down and then attached, the mass is scaled down appropriately and remains correct when launched. But if the vehicle is reverted, the downscaled engines revert to their normal mass value. The only solution is to remove the engines, then grab new ones, rescale them and re-add them. This is with the latest main release (not the dev release)

looks like a variant of the editor mass display bug. It looks like only the stock display is wrong. In my tests MechJeb/KER show the right value and when the ship is launched again the stock display in map view also shows the right mass.

@pellinor

Hi there , i had recently an issue with Stock Fuel Switch, Tweakscale, FSFuelSwitch for every part and maybe Interstellar Fuelswitch.

SOLVED!

Sorry for the inconvenience but obviously i had a older Tweakscale Download running! :blush:

ALL the above running nicely with Tweakscale 2.2.1!

Edited by Mikki
Solved, my bad!

small dev update:

* added some patches for several mods, mainly engines (thanks Glidas)

This affects OPT, AtomicAge, MarkIVSystems, mk2Expansion, mk3HypersonicSystems. As for many mods I don't regularly use, the patches are neither complete nor well-tested. If something is missing, the best thing is to write your own patches and post them here.

- - - Updated - - -

Different topic, I'm still thinking about this switch for scaling crewed parts. What about instead including a file with example patches that people just need to uncomment to use? Like

* forbid scaling of crewed parts

* only allow scaling of IR parts

* more general: forbid scaling of parts that [do not] have a certain module

* add a tweakscale module to everything [use at own risk]

• 3 weeks later...
* only allow scaling of IR parts

There's already a solution for that. Delete the patches folder. That's what I do anyway, since IR has its own scale definitions as you know. I think of this as the "only allow scaling on parts mod makers have designed to be scalable". In fact it would be nice if there was a version of Tweakscale available for download that didn't include the patches by default.

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

"only allow scaling on parts mod makers have designed to be scalable"

It is more like "parts whose makers do not maintain their own tweakscale configs". Generally making those patches needs more knowledge about TweakScale than about the other mod. This is why most of them are distributed with TweakScale.

A version without patches sounds doable as a CKAN definition, but I don't think doing every release twice is a good idea. I'm working on a couple of example patches like "only scale IR parts", maybe this will also help.

- - - Updated - - -

Delete the patches folder. That's what I do anyway, since IR has its own scale definitions

Just want to mention that the scale and exponent definitions are outside of the patches folder. So you can safely delete it without breaking TweakScale configs packaged with other mods.

next dev update:

* Removed the MM switch for scaleable crew pods. The mechanic was complicated and not extendable, and it is done simpler with a more explicit custom patch:

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[*],~CrewCapacity[0]]:FINAL { !MODULE[TweakScale] {} }

* new file Examples.cfg with frequently used custom patches like the above "don't scale crew pods".

This changes the default behavior for crew pods scaling back to "allowed". As already discussed, my main motivation is that accidentally reverting this to default (e.g. when updating the mod) should not break peoples saves/crafts.

Just want to mention that the scale and exponent definitions are outside of the patches folder. So you can safely delete it without breaking TweakScale configs packaged with other mods.

That was a very nice change. I picked up on this a few releases ago, and it certainly makes removing the patches a whole lot easier.

PreRelease v2.2.2 [.zip]

Since we haven't had a release for too long, I promoted the dev version to a prerelease. As usual, you only need the GameData Folder of the zip.

Please complain if there are any new issues! I'll wait a few days before putting it up on KerbalStuff and Curse.

Bug report: When you resize a decoupler, the ejection face goes down to 0.0kN. Not sure if this is TweakScale, or TweakableEverything, but they may be related.

• 3 weeks later...

A little request: seen that having the B9 HX parts scalable is very nice and useful, it will be possible with the S2 Wide Body part too? Ever from B9 Aerospace. I feel wrong every time I would like to build a huge spaceplanes that I can't use a MK3 or HL cockpit and big parts with that marvelous fuselage.

[quote name='pellinor']small dev update:
* don't force early setup when getmodulecost is called. This should fix a crash with tweakscale and mft/realfuels.[/quote]
omg yiiiiiiiiiiiis :D :D :D :D ty ty ty!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

hey is there something wrong with this and MFT? because im scaling fuel tanks up, and the actual volume of the MFT tanks arent scaling with it. im not sure if this is on tweakscale or MFT so..... any help?

edit: nvm, found out MFT wasnt supporting tweakscale right now.

Edited by 123nick

Hi Pellinor

What am I missing with the stock tanks ?

Whatever is the size i try in VAB or SPH, they don't reconfigure for quantity nor weight. For example the FL-T800 will stay with 360 Liquidfuel and 440 Oxidizer, or 800 liquid fuel as indicated on right click in the pic.

Impossible to change anything in the UI, it won't accept....

KER will always see the initial weight whatever is the size and Mechjeb give the right weight in the VAB or SPH, but once launched, Mechjeb see the initial weight......4.6T

That's a bit weird! I got the last version 2.2.5.3 and I tried 2.2.5.1 and it's same result....

489701screenshot197.png

Edited by gilflo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.