Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

3 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

the word was censored to "Bloby" which isn't even a word

Yeah, "bloby" isn't a word... but "blob" is.  It was acting on the word fragment, not the entire word.

Word filtering is an iffy business... hard to tune it so that it keeps out objectionable material, while allowing "legitimate" text to go through unhindered.  False positives and false negatives are easy to come by.

This is complicated by the fact that some words are offensive in some contexts but perfectly fine in others.  A person named Richard may have a perfectly acceptable diminutive of his name... but that same word is an offensive usage in lots of contexts.

So really, it's not technically possible to be perfect.  So all you can do is decide:  would you rather over-filter or under-filter?  Which is worse, to let occasional bad stuff through, or keep occasional legitimate stuff out?  The KSP forums try to be as family-friendly as possible, so they're tuned to err a bit on the cautious side.  Yes, that means that occasionally you get some comical... ah... overenthusiasm.  :wink:

The only advice I can offer is, try to take it in stride, and move on.

1 hour ago, Snark said:

Yeah, "bloby" isn't a word... but "blob" is.  It was acting on the word fragment, not the entire word.

Word filtering is an iffy business... hard to tune it so that it keeps out objectionable material, while allowing "legitimate" text to go through unhindered.  False positives and false negatives are easy to come by.

This is complicated by the fact that some words are offensive in some contexts but perfectly fine in others.  A person named Richard may have a perfectly acceptable diminutive of his name... but that same word is an offensive usage in lots of contexts.

So really, it's not technically possible to be perfect.  So all you can do is decide:  would you rather over-filter or under-filter?  Which is worse, to let occasional bad stuff through, or keep occasional legitimate stuff out?  The KSP forums try to be as family-friendly as possible, so they're tuned to err a bit on the cautious side.  Yes, that means that occasionally you get some comical... ah... overenthusiasm.  :wink:

The only advice I can offer is, try to take it in stride, and move on.

Then allow the iffy words and censure the poster, if needed, on the context it was meant.

I take your point, but really, the context I was meaning it in is perfectly acceptable, but my post was still censored and sorry, THAT is unacceptable.

3 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

Then allow the iffy words and censure the poster, if needed, on the context it was meant.

I take your point, but really, the context I was meaning it in is perfectly acceptable, but my post was still censored and sorry, THAT is unacceptable.

I would say it's unfortunate rather than unacceptable (me being someone who a) is also part of an older demographic and b) has been burned by false positives of the forum filter before). There are acceptable uses of the words you cited in your post above, but in usage here on the forum they are vastly outnumbered by the ones that are intended to be blocked. It might be different if we were a birdwatching website or something, but those legitimate usages do not come up in common conversation here with any regularity.

As for it being "like kindergarten" around here, sorry you feel that way. It is very important to us that the forum remains friendly to people of all ages and off parental filter lists, given that a significant portion of the community is made up of minors. I'm an adult who swears like a sailor on occasion, but like any adult I can turn off the foul language when I'm somewhere where swearing is not appropriate. This is one of those places.

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I would say it's unfortunate rather than unacceptable (me being someone who a) is also part of an older demographic and b) has been burned by false positives of the forum filter before). There are acceptable uses of the words you cited in your post above, but in usage here on the forum they are vastly outnumbered by the ones that are intended to be blocked. It might be different if we were a birdwatching website or something, but those legitimate usages do not come up in common conversation here with any regularity.

As for it being "like kindergarten" around here, sorry you feel that way. It is very important to us that the forum remains friendly to people of all ages and off parental filter lists, given that a significant portion of the community is made up of minors. I'm an adult who swears like a sailor on occasion, but like any adult I can turn off the foul language when I'm somewhere where swearing is not appropriate. This is one of those places.

HEY!!!! I'm a Kiwi and I could probably make you blush!!! It *is* unacceptable that I'm not breaking any rules but I'm treated as if I have...

However... please help me out here... as I said, I have double vision and its annoying when I make a typo... worse, when I didn't make the typo but I think I did... your word censor is to blame.

At least with all the .... "iffy" words... change it to > [censored] <so I know its not me.... I mean, I'd prefer [censored] to "bloby" any day.

This morning, while doing some reading on the forum, I attempted to "like" a comment just to have this message pop up:

taTlAV9.png

The problem is that I haven't "liked" any other comment today nor have I ever hit the magical "25 likes per day" in the last week. Does anyone know what is going on?

6 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

At least with all the .... "iffy" words... change it to > [censored] <so I know its not me.... I mean, I'd prefer [censored] to "bloby" any day.

Oh, I dunno, I kinda enjoy that Squad has a bit of a sense of humor about it.  I still remember the first time I read someone saying "...there's no use poodleing about it."  I stared with blank incomprehension for a few seconds, then the dots connected and I was giggling helplessly.

Certainly, using something like "[censored]" or "[redacted]" would be more obvious, yes.  On the other hand... just because someone may use a term that's not-quite-rated-G doesn't mean they've done something bad or blameworthy-- people make innocent mistakes all the time, it's not always obvious to everyone exactly where some public venue draws the line.  A strict-sounding "[censored]" can come across as stern or harsh to some people, as if they're being personally criticized-- not everyone has a thick skin.  The goal is not to intimidate people, it's to tactfully guide them away from using terms that may not be appropriate for all audiences.

It's a hard problem in user-friendly crowd control; there's not really any "right answer," as far as I can see.  Squad has chosen to go about it by applying a gently humorous nudge that lets folks know "here's where the line is, and kindly remember there are children present."

Certainly it's not necessarily going to be everyone's cup of tea (that would be impossible)... but their solution strikes me as a pretty reasonable one.

It's why I tend not to poodle about it.  :)

11 minutes ago, Snark said:

Lol. Am left wondering whether a post liberally peppered with profanity for the express purpose of letting the filter nerf words for comedic effect would be worthy of an infraction under 2.2g. I mean, it's literally the opposite of "attempting to skirt the language fiter"...

Just now, Kuzzter said:

Lol. Am left wondering whether a post liberally peppered with profanity for the express purpose of letting the filter nerf words for comedic effect would be worthy of an infraction under 2.2g. I mean, it's literally the opposite of "attempting to skirt the language fiter"...

Yes, that certainly sounds potentially (if briefly) amusing... but... please don't, okay?

10 hours ago, CAKE99 said:

How does a live-streamer get added to the "Featured Livestreamers" bit of the front page?

(As in, criteria, not technical stuff).

These livestreamers are part of either our Media Group, or stream on KSPTV. Send a private message to myself and @Badie if you wish to apply for either group :)

5 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

This morning, while doing some reading on the forum, I attempted to "like" a comment just to have this message pop up:

taTlAV9.png

The problem is that I haven't "liked" any other comment today nor have I ever hit the magical "25 likes per day" in the last week. Does anyone know what is going on?

Let me know if the problem persists later this week.

6 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

taTlAV9.png

I've had this issue before, did you log out the night before? I don't usually log out of the forums and I run into this glitch frequently.

8 minutes ago, Andem said:

I've had this issue before, did you log out the night before? I don't usually log out of the forums and I run into this glitch frequently.

Nope, I NEVER log out. If I am not at my laptop, the forum goes with me on my Android. :cool:

6 hours ago, Snark said:

Oh, I dunno, I kinda enjoy that Squad has a bit of a sense of humor about it.  I still remember the first time I read someone saying "...there's no use poodleing about it."  I stared with blank incomprehension for a few seconds, then the dots connected and I was giggling helplessly.

Certainly, using something like "[censored]" or "[redacted]" would be more obvious, yes.  On the other hand... just because someone may use a term that's not-quite-rated-G doesn't mean they've done something bad or blameworthy-- people make innocent mistakes all the time, it's not always obvious to everyone exactly where some public venue draws the line.  A strict-sounding "[censored]" can come across as stern or harsh to some people, as if they're being personally criticized-- not everyone has a thick skin.  The goal is not to intimidate people, it's to tactfully guide them away from using terms that may not be appropriate for all audiences.

It's a hard problem in user-friendly crowd control; there's not really any "right answer," as far as I can see.  Squad has chosen to go about it by applying a gently humorous nudge that lets folks know "here's where the line is, and kindly remember there are children present."

Certainly it's not necessarily going to be everyone's cup of tea (that would be impossible)... but their solution strikes me as a pretty reasonable one.

Well, while you get a chuckle out of it, I'm left thinking I'm going insane due to my double vision. Its why I was sort of angry about it. There must be others out there with my problem, or similar, maybe just bad eyesight... so you reckon its a chuckle a minute, I don't... although in theory, I can see the funny side... but in reality.....

27 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Though if we had access to source we'd not need all this.

Yeah, well, that's an IPS problem.  It's a good bit of software, and I'm saying this from the perspective of an admin of an IPS board.  There have been talks on the IPS community about adding it in, so it's possible that you will see it in the future.  The post preview option which recently (not enabled here) was added was came in that exact same way.  Unfortunately there are many more important problems they have to work on first such as security patches, etc.  Hopefully one day...

Of course in the time being you can just use HTML in the web inspector.

Usual disclaimer:

I'm not an admin on the KSP forums, or any other KSP related website.  I am an admin on my own website which I'm not going to link here because I don't think this thread is the right place to do so.

Thanks to the Moderators that uncensored the word "booby" as in "booby prize!"

I know a lot of words need to be censored and I'll take what I can get to protect my sanity, but I'm left wondering about the other innocent words which in some context are not so innocent. But I won't push the issue. Most words with double meanings I can probably work around with another word, I'll just have to be aware of it when typing... so any typo that appears may not be a typo... if I keep that in mind... all will be good. Thanks again for understanding, trust me, its no fun having double vision.

Again... Moderators... take a bow... I applaud your action this day... and for me, to say that, is unusual given I always seem to argue with you lot via PM's. :)

Edited by kiwi1960
typos of course! :)

22 minutes ago, kiwi1960 said:

Thanks to the Moderators that uncensored the word "booby" as in "booby prize!"

I know a lot of words need to be censored and I'll take what I can get to protect my sanity, but I'm left wondering about the other innocent words which in some context are not so innocent. But I won't push the issue. Most words with double meanings I can probably work around with another word, I'll just have to be aware of it when typing... so any typo that appears may not be a typo... if I keep that in mind... all will be good. Thanks again for understanding, trust me, its no fun having double vision.

Again... Moderators... take a bow... I applaud your action this day... and for me, to say that, is unusual given I always seem to argue with you lot via PM's. :)

Oh, we'll deal with the Scunthorpe problem whenever we see it. It does have a habit of popping up in all kinds of interesting ways. Just report the affected post, someone will probably re-jigger the text matching.

17 minutes ago, technicalfool said:

Oh, we'll deal with the Slovely personhorpe problem whenever we see it. It does have a habit of popping up in all kinds of interesting ways. Just report the affected post, someone will probably re-jigger the text matching.

Fair enough, but my main beef was that I thought I was going insane (because of my double vision) by making typos... it was only at the THIRD time to correct it that it dawned on me what was going on... and I got angry about it... not so much that the word censor was.... crappy.... but because I thought I was going insane due to my double vision. :)

On 7/25/2016 at 8:09 PM, Snark said:

Yup, mine too, might be everyone.  I assume some sort of shenanigans are up with the forum software.  Presumably the matter will get sorted out at some point.

Well, good thing I've never bothered to follow anyone. I get enough notifications as-is...