Devnote Tuesday: 1.0.5 is approaching

SQUAD

Wow.

​The hype is real.

- - - Updated - - -

Ninja'd by starwhip.

*calms the hype locomotive* "Not yet, Engine Number Seven-A, not yet."

Hype Train Voyage of 1.0.5 will begin when 1.0.5 reaches experimentals stage.

This is really neat devnotes. I like the Kerbin World Firsts thing and the crew container IVA. And everything else.

Edited by GregroxMun

That's a lot of great news!

Thinking about limiting how much the cargo bays open (which can avoid clipping), I wonder if that setting can be accessed in flight. It's a bit of a hassle, but suppose you have a cargo bay with boosters hanging next to it. Before staging them, if you open the bay, it will clip inside the boosters. So by limiting how much it opens, that clipping can be avoided. But after you stage, you could fully open the bay (And, presumably, let anything inside escape the ship)

Yes. You will be able to discreetly control the door's opening/closing even in flight (so you could, in theory, do a manual door open 1% at a time).

A lot of good stuff in here. That is a good sign ;)

Just a question, though: on the part regarding the portraits, you mention that you're working on showing more portaits of kerbals if the screen size allows ( and allow modding of the number in screen ). Now, it will be possible to show less or none kerbal portraits at will? I know, we all love the green little dudes, but if you think about it, there is little value of having the portraits covering such a important part of the interface as one corner is ( this is me showing that I learned something about UI design last week :D ), even more in lower resolutions ... and if you see any video of KSP gameplay that has mod windows ( KER, MechJeb, docking cameras, ... ), the portaits are the first area to be covered if needed...

Amazing! Wow!

Thank you SQUAD. Wonderful devnotes.

Until just now, I was thinking "1.0.5 will be cool. Some updated parts, a few bugfixes. Great."

Now it's more like "Really!? That's brilliant! Hype! Hype!!"... and, like, I'm practically old...

Great job folks!

Happy landings!

There are no stock parts that change buoyancy (unless you count burning fuel...). However, if you somehow do manage to make a neutrally-buoyant craft, you certainly could "fly" around under water. And mod parts that create/destroy resources to change buoyancy, say, will totally work. So...yeah. Subs. :)

Of course, subs have been around in mods for a while, same with boats. And due to the very changed buoyancy system (which is fully configurable, mind, and uses dragcubes for drag and to help compute volume) those mods may well need updating.

I have to admit I've spent a bit of time making and testing seaplanes (on my off time)--they're just plane (hehe) fun. Wings certainly do work underwater, so you can make hydrofoils too.

Regex, don't get too giddy about the optimization. I've done bits here and there, as have we all, but 1.0.5 is a new content + bugfix patch, not an optimization pass.

There are no stock parts that change buoyancy (unless you count burning fuel...). However, if you somehow do manage to make a neutrally-buoyant craft, you certainly could "fly" around under water. And mod parts that create/destroy resources to change buoyancy, say, will totally work. So...yeah. Subs. :)

Of course, subs have been around in mods for a while, same with boats. And due to the very changed buoyancy system (which is fully configurable, mind, and uses dragcubes for drag and to help compute volume) those mods may well need updating.

I have to admit I've spent a bit of time making and testing seaplanes (on my off time)--they're just plane (hehe) fun. Wings certainly do work underwater, so you can make hydrofoils too.

Regex, don't get too giddy about the optimization. I've done bits here and there, as have we all, but 1.0.5 is a new content + bugfix patch, not an optimization pass.

NathanKell, would keeled boats work in this new buoyancy?

Also, have you considered working with Infinite Dice and Fengist on the buoyancy? I know Infinite Dice was working on a system to fix the buoyancy, though I have no idea on the progress that they have made.

Suppose I can wait another year for the release KSP so desperately needs.

Sounds cool, so basically you just need something to simulate a ballast tank by reducing overall buoyancy. I'm sure someone will mod that up pretty quick, especially since water can be easily modded in as a resource.

Edited by Alshain

A year? 1.1 has shedloads of optimization, and I doubt you need to wait a year for it. :P

Yes, keels will work. As for buoyancy's background, it started as a small thing I had been working on for the early 1.0x patches but didn't have time to finish. It's really the last bit of the aero overhaul, using the existing systems we built for that.

"Now that the 1.0.5 update is getting closer we want to share a bit more information about it: Nathanael (NathanKell) has been one of the driving forces on 1.0.5, fixing countless bugs and implementing small quality of life improvements that had been on our radar for a long time, but that no one had the time to implement. Over the past few weeks for example, he’s been working on overhauling the buoyancy models for the game and as a result it is now feasible to build working boats or indeed seaplanes."

Yes!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.