Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

5 hours ago, smjjames said:

So, Wernher is origionally from Kerbulus and is actually an exile? Maybe?

That is... interesting. If that is true, there will be quite a plot change. However, the Kerbulans seem to have messy beards, not neat mustaches.

Edited by rlin
Here be typos

8 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Gee!

"Express permission!" Sounds pretty ominous, if you ask me. I wonder if you need written consent to film and distribute Mohoball games, too?

Well, on the plus side, Kerbulus is not a united planet.  Sectarian violence continues there.  Maybe that will prove enough of a distraction :)

6 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Well, on the plus side, Kerbulus is not a united planet.  Sectarian violence continues there.  Maybe that will prove enough of a distraction :)

It seems more like a way of life than a distraction.  Gene didn't seem distracted by his need to send a mission to the Num to deal with an unapproved base there.

Nice avatar, btw.

Happy Concerned Nervous Anxious Frightened landings!

19 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Wernher's knowledge of Kerbulus is quite the surprise.  And he clearly knows quite a bit.  It's hard to imagine Gene not sending a ship otherwise, however.

Clearly he does know a little more than 'ein bisschen', yes. All the reader speculation has me really looking forward to writing that Zwischenspiel. In other news, I am learning many new random German words.

18 hours ago, Willbl3pic said:

and how will Lisa tell the others about Kenlie's story? Or will she?

Will she? Won't she? Aaahhh! It depends how many more plot holes Your Author has to chase down on the way to Jool! 

17 hours ago, Nahim said:

Don't forget that evilGene and evilBob already ...talked'boult Werner.'.

Why yes, they did! You noticed :) 

16 hours ago, Deddly said:

Or has Wernher of Kerbfleet really been an imposter the whole time after having brutally murdered his counterpart, which would explain the terrible design of the Eve Atmosferikdipperkraft - a craft that was practically designed to kill its ocupants? 

Of all the speculation about Wernher I like this one the best. I'm not saying it's correct, but I lolled. 

16 hours ago, Dman979 said:

"Express permission!" Sounds pretty ominous, if you ask me. I wonder if you need written consent to film and distribute Mohoball games, too?

Yeah, you can imagine how important it is to read the fine print of contracts with the Kerbulan Empire.

"Aaahh! But you said we had permission!"

"You did not have express permission."

"Yes we did! It says 'express permission' right here!"

"Ah, but that is not in italics!" *BOOM!*

14 hours ago, Chemp said:

Let's speculate a bit. I'd say that we're talking about a pilot here, since his ability to fly seems to be unsurpassed. We can further assume that he's an evil twin of a character we already know. Now, Jeb, Lisa and Kenlie are already accounted for. There's Dilby and Tedus but there was this other pilot who Kuzzter mentioned a few pages back. So, what more is there to tell? That I've already forgotten his name - again! :D 

Hm! Hmmmm! I should have also had someone mention that no one ever forgets the Ghost. :) 

11 hours ago, rlin said:

That is... interesting. If that is true, there will be quite a plot change. However, the Kerbulans seem to have messy beards, not neat mustaches.

I liked this comment better before you edited it. If anyone would have messy bears in this story, it'd be the Kerbulans.

7 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Indeed, that is a bit of a weakness for them. Their other main problem is of course that the main characters are all looking for ways to murder each other. Val Kermulan's key leadership ability is getting everyone on the team to murder someone other than each other.

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

Nice avatar, btw.

I like it too, it reminds me a bit of a star-bellied sneetch :) 

21 hours ago, Deddly said:

Could it be that there is actually no mirror Wernher, just the one who escaped using the very technology he refused to weaponise for the Kermulans?

That would imply that somewhere on Kerbin, there is another, beardless Wernher :D

17 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Not united, just police.  Actually, has Kuzzter specified whether there are other nations on Kerbulus, and whether they're friendly or not?  Maybe I missed that.

3 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Not united, just police.  Actually, has Kuzzter specified whether there are other nations on Kerbulus, and whether they're friendly or not?  Maybe I missed that.

I think bombing each others' Numbases qualifies as neither united nor friendly :)

3 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Judging by the existence of rival functions such as Rockomaximus, Kerbodynos, etc, I'd say that kerbulus is not even remotely unified, and that there are quite a few semi-corporate nation-states.

Also, it appears I was semi-ninja'd by @Geschosskopf.

2 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I think bombing each others' Numbases qualifies as neither united nor friendly :)

2 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

Judging by the existence of rival functions such as Rockomaximus, Kerbodynos, etc, I'd say that kerbulus is not even remotely unified, and that there are quite a few semi-corporate nation-states.

Also, it appears I was semi-ninja'd by @Geschosskopf.

Okay, I see.  I was thinking the Numbases (and Rockomaximus or Kerbodynos) were private companies, but their actions make more sense as corporate states.  But SPQK seems to be attacking them without repercussions, so SPQK may hold almost total control over their actions.

1 hour ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Okay, I see.  I was thinking the Numbases (and Rockomaximus or Kerbodynos) were private companies, but their actions make more sense as corporate states.  But SPQK seems to be attacking them without repercussions, so SPQK may hold almost total control over their actions.

SPQK seems to be the dominant local power but not the unquestioned dominate local power.

14 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

@Kuzzter @Parkaboy Coming soon to the latest Wild Blue Tools:

Because a certain graphics novelist thought it would be a great idea, and it is! :)

Is the kPad clipping through the shoe? Isn't that like cheating?

Anyways, as for the Wernherr speculations around here, I have to add my two cents.

First off, there has been no statement which directly referred to the fact there was only one Wernher, however, there has been no statement which did exclude that possibility. In the case of a single-Wernher Universe (SWU) all those speculations are more or less valid. However, consider a MWU (Multi-Wernher Universe) there's a much more important question, which has not been asked yet: Where's the Wernher from Kerbulus?

Now, if we consider the fact, that the author himself is slightly referring to the ideas of Roddenberry, we have to take into consideration the possibility of the existence of a counterpart of the Q-Continuum or in this fictional universe - the W-Continuum. If that is the case, then Wernher might appear anywhere he likes to in any appearance.

Edited by something

Well Q never had much skin in the game and mostly seemed to be doing things on a lark, and that doesn't sound like KF Werner. What if Werner is a stranded traveler from as yet undiscovered Gerbin (orbiting the distant star Gerbol?). He could have tried to bootstrap a space industry to find a means to get back home, and made an error of judgment on the temperament of the inhabitants of the planet he chose for this initially, mistaking aggression for drive and naivety for ineptitude.

Even more sinister, he could have uplifted both Kerbals and Kermulans from either native life or cloned them from his own manipulated genetic material (or a mix) which would not only explain the lack of evidence of long term civilization on Kerbin but also make him directly responsible for the temperaments of both Kermulans and Kerbals (erring on the sides of aggression in an attempt to expedite space travel development with the Kermulans and overcompensating that error in the Kerbals when he attempted again).

Edited by FyunchClick
oops.

On 4/27/2016 at 3:22 PM, parameciumkid said:

Finally caught up again after my two-week "vacation" while waiting for the prerelease to become non-"pre". Fortunately I missed less than I thought I had ^^

Yeah, writing 'story' stuff rather than straight mission report takes me a bit longer, especially going between three different save files with stunt doubles, greenscreening, etc. Hope I'm keeping up a fast enough pace that no one's forgetting who's who or what's going on :) 

On 4/27/2016 at 6:46 PM, RocketSquid said:

That's a very good summary! 

On 4/28/2016 at 10:45 PM, Geschosskopf said:

SPQK seems to be the dominant local power but not the unquestioned dominate local power.

Also correct.

On 4/28/2016 at 1:19 PM, something said:

First off, there has been no statement which directly referred to the fact there was only one Wernher, however, there has been no statement which did exclude that possibility. In the case of a single-Wernher Universe (SWU) all those speculations are more or less valid. However, consider a MWU (Multi-Wernher Universe) there's a much more important question, which has not been asked yet: Where's the Wernher from Kerbulus?

This is hilarious, love the SWU/MWU shorthand and all the hypotheses surrounding him. The W=Q one is really good. I'm not saying it's correct--just really good :) 

And here are two more pages not involving Wernher!

eNKCMMU.png

7a21tAr.png

A marine sarjint turned firefighter? Who'd have thunk it. If only he also spoke Creole. :D 

Edited by Kuzzter
Zut!

A fire in the lab!  What could Lisa have been doing in there?
I bet it relates to Kenlie and the Kerbulans (that sounds like a musical group) in some way or other.

Just now, Kuzzter said:

Yeah, I should show Sarge slamming into the opposite bulkhead next page :) 

I was just thinking that Sarge's skill at balancing his jetpack thrust with the fire extinguisher was at least as impressive as Kenlie Kermulan balancing the firearm recoil with his jetpack. :)

Now who else didn't Dilsby list before being so serendipitously interrupted?  Let's see - there's Kenlie and Lisa.  Hmmmm.  Have they talked?  Did I miss anybody?

Can Bob make it through the journey with a Seltzer shortage?

Happy Curious landings!