Badie

We've been nominated for the Steam Awards!

73 posts in this topic

It occurs to me (looking through today's awards and seeing nothing I can vote for) that this wouldn't bother me at all if KSP had also been nominated for one of the other awards. 

The problem isn't "KSP isn't about explosions," so much as "KSP isn't just about explosions." If it had also been nominated for, say, "Just 5 more minutes," I'd happily vote for it in both categories. But seeing it only in the explosion category feels like blowing stuff up is the entire point of the game, and those of us who like to, say, explore space are just a few niche weirdos with no lives. So although I appreciate the recognition for one of my favorite games, I can't help but be a little insulted. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Hotaru said:

I can't help but be a little insulted. 

:rolleyes:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frybert said:

:rolleyes:

I kinda agree though, it is dumb that it's in a category for games that mainly are explosions. KSP for many of us isn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

I kinda agree though, it is dumb that it's in a category for games that mainly are explosions. KSP for many of us isn't.

Where does it say in the description of the "award" That's it's all about explosions? It doesnt. Furthermore explosions are a deep part of the history of ksp. Go back and watch a lot of old youtube videos of ksp. What's one of Manley's most famous lines? "It was going so well until it exploded." Look back at a lot of the trailers. Something explodes, or crashes, or malfuntions. Look at in game part descriptions for crying out loud. Trial and error rocketry (which includes explosions) is THE basis for this game. None of these "award" categories look overly serious to me. It looks like this is all meant to be FUN. So to get all offended, or insulted, or act like this is some kind shame, frankly, is rather silly.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frybert said:

Where does it say in the description of the "award" That's it's all about explosions? It doesnt. Furthermore explosions are a deep part of the history of ksp. Go back and watch a lot of old youtube videos of ksp. What's one of Manley's most famous lines? "It was going so well until it exploded." Look back at a lot of the trailers. Something explodes, or crashes, or malfuntions. Look at in game part descriptions for crying out loud. Trial and error rocketry (which includes explosions) is THE basis for this game. None of these "award" categories look overly serious to me. It looks like this is all meant to be FUN. So to get all offended, or insulted, or act like this is some kind shame, frankly, is rather silly.

I actually think it's a good category for KSP, which is partly about fun with explosions. I just think nominating it for only that is missing the point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hotaru said:

I actually think it's a good category for KSP, which is partly about fun with explosions. I just think nominating it for only that is missing the point. 

To the best of my knowledge it seems one category per game. I know there were some threads of people nominating KSP for this, and they couldn't decide on a single category. That leads me to think there were enough nominations for KSP, but even they couldn't make it fit. (One of the 'problems' of the game in general.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Frybert said:

Furthermore explosions are a deep part of the history of ksp. Go back and watch a lot of old youtube videos of ksp. What's one of Manley's most famous lines? "It was going so well until it exploded." Look back at a lot of the trailers. Something explodes, or crashes, or malfuntions. Look at in game part descriptions for crying out loud. Trial and error rocketry (which includes explosions) is THE basis for this game.

Many people (including I) have always disagreed with this kind of marketing for KSP and wish it would appear more serious to people. Explosions are fun when you want them, but most of the time they are simply annoying when they ruin an actual space mission (the thing the game is actually about).

I don't care that KSP is nominated in the "Boom Boom" category: it's nominated so it will get some recognition for that and that's always positive; but other categories fit the game so much better (the 5 more minutes one would be my personal favourite since I can actually relate to that).

Anyway I don't have KSP on Steam so I guess I don't really care in the end. I play the game the way I want and shouldn't be paying attention to how KSP is sold.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be nice to see a Steam Award for KSP, regardless of the nomination type. To be honest, I would have prefered to see KSP in other categories, but then again there are a lot of nominations in those categories that makes you simply ask "what?" In the end it's an award that gets the attention of new potential explorers of space and maybe they will be touched in a positive way by the bag of science KSP has to offer, like so many others here in this great community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I nominated KSP for the one category I felt like it truly mastered. I do not remember exactly what it was called but it was along the lines of most played game per dollar spent.

(Verifyable through my steam account... Same user name as this form).

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I first nominated KSP for the best ' Early access game done right' award but that category did not get chosen.

I still voted for the BOOM award though. KSP deserves that one.:D

Edited by worir4
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That last election here in the states everyone has to keep their mouth shut... :sealed:

This time I can finally raise my head up high and proudly announce to the world:

I voted for KSP!!!  

:D

 

8 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Gaarst said:

Many people (including I) have always disagreed with this kind of marketing for KSP and wish it would appear more serious to people. Explosions are fun when you want them, but most of the time they are simply annoying when they ruin an actual space mission (the thing the game is actually about).

I don't care that KSP is nominated in the "Boom Boom" category: it's nominated so it will get some recognition for that and that's always positive; but other categories fit the game so much better (the 5 more minutes one would be my personal favourite since I can actually relate to that).

Anyway I don't have KSP on Steam so I guess I don't really care in the end. I play the game the way I want and shouldn't be paying attention to how KSP is sold.

5 more minutes award?

more like 30 more hours to watch this Eve mothership run out of DV! amarite?

Edited by V7 Aerospace
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll get 'em next time!

 

dCMygiD.png

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh, I guess a game COULD be nominated for multiple awards. ETS2 won two awards. And Skyrim for test of time? WTF? Oh well. Silly awards are silly.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a bit behind on the "should KSP win the Boom Boom award" argument, BUT I DONT CARE

what I do is play it sillaly half the time, and serious half the time, so I have two saves, Serious Business, and Unserious Buisness

so that is what I do, it balances funny KSP with serious KSP, so when I want to do serious KSP, I go to serious business, and when I want crazy KSP, I go to unserious business, so I can go nuts, without ruining my hard work! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Frybert said:

Huh, I guess a game COULD be nominated for multiple awards. ETS2 won two awards. And Skyrim for test of time? what? Oh well. Silly awards are silly.

Grand Theft Auto V also was voted in for two awards, although GTA Online may have had a part in this, despite being a separate title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KSP is an awesome game, and has many facets to it. Most importantly, there is stark contrast between bravely exploring the unknown and laughing at your attempts blow up.

however, you can also:

Launch awesome rockets, summon glitches, blow stuff up, build planes, do awesome challenges, record cinematics, make youtube videos, and many, many other things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First post in 2017?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are 26 hours on our planet ranging from UTC+14 to UTC-12. Technically, that means 2017 started on December 31, 2016 at 10:00 UTC which makes you by no means the first to post in 2017, not even in this topic.

Sorry to disappoint you...

 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2017 at 9:50 AM, something said:

There are 26 hours on our planet ranging from UTC+14 to UTC-12. Technically, that means 2017 started on December 31, 2016 at 10:00 UTC which makes you by no means the first to post in 2017, not even in this topic.

Sorry to disappoint you...

 

Whoa, this was an old topic. 'old' as in a couple of months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the more reason not to keep posting in it. Closed. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.