SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

3 minutes ago, insert_name said:

Looks like Elon has confirmed that the launch of f9 heavy will be in 4 months

https://futurism.com/elon-musk-the-rocket-that-will-eventually-take-humans-to-the-moon-will-launch-in-4-months/

2-3 months to cores at the launch site. Then 1 month to launch.

September 8 earliest, otherwise October. They must think that they can get 39A totally ready faster than I had heard.

1 hour ago, tater said:

2-3 months to cores at the launch site. Then 1 month to launch.

September 8 earliest, otherwise October. They must think that they can get 39A totally ready faster than I had heard.

This is ElonSpeak now, so realistically we're probably looking at 5-6 months... before the heat death of the universe. :sealed:

Sequence stratigraphy ? Like the youngest at the top ? And using the ingredients to obtain a date ? Valid if left alone in peace for a long time.

Hmmm ... nah, to many discordances ('splosions) and unconformities (technical or other difficulties) here :-)

On 9. 6. 2017 at 6:08 AM, insert_name said:

Looks like Elon has confirmed that the launch of f9 heavy will be in 4 months

It looks like we are making some serious progress then, the last five years it was supposed to fly in six months :)

4 hours ago, michal.don said:

It looks like we are making some serious progress then, the last five years it was supposed to fly in six months :)

5 years to shave a third off from the "first launch in" figure. At this rate it'll happen in... ten years? Did I do the math right? 

:wink::sticktongue:

7 hours ago, monophonic said:

5 years to shave a third off from the "first launch in" figure. At this rate it'll happen in... ten years? Did I do the math right? 

:wink::sticktongue:

I got 15, 5 per 2 months

oh wait in 10 years...oh yeah, your right :)

Edited by StupidAndy

12 hours ago, michal.don said:

On a weighted scale, a promise of less than six months is a great improvement, though.

As a rule of thumb:

• Anything announced to happen more than two years into the future is just as likely to never happen at all.
  • Announcements between two years and six months in the future may eventually be realised, but they can be postponed for one year at a time indefinitely.
  • For anything announced to happen in less than six months, add 50 % to the time span between now and the scheduled event (min. value 1 day).
  • For anything announced to happen today, the chance of it being postponed may always be approximated to 50 %.

So if they say "it will happen in four months", it may happen in six months, rather than being postponed for longer periods of time again.

Edited by Codraroll

8 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Calling it now. Falcon Heavy launch on December 5th. Heard it here first :P

December 25th, with a giant cardboard box wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper as payload

Very unlikely, because no one wants to work on Christmas, but maybe around then. Either way, if it launches in December I want a gift as a payload.

I wish that they could land all three falcons next to each other, like in the animation video (the second one). Also, can we refer to 39A or any launch site as "the nest"?

"Falcon has returned to the nest"

Makes me wonder, they will need an new tower for falcon heavy. 
They will also need an new tower for manned flights, this would need an elevator, an evacuation system and an walkway out to the capsule. 
Makes some sense to combine this with vertical integration of payload. 
Put an crane on top, then use the walkway for mounting the payload and fairing to the upper stage. 

2 hours ago, magnemoe said:

They will also need an new tower for manned flights, this would need an elevator, an evacuation system and an walkway out to the capsule. 
Put an crane on top, then use the walkway for mounting the payload and fairing to the upper stage. 

and use the crane for ITS

3 hours ago, magnemoe said:

IIRC, these are exactly the upgrades planned for LC-39, but they can't work on any of them till LC-40 is back up. Modifying 39 for FH will be the first priority, about 60 days to do, upgrades for manned flights will follow once the bulk of flights are running out of 40 again

19 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

IIRC, these are exactly the upgrades planned for LC-39, but they can't work on any of them till LC-40 is back up. Modifying 39 for FH will be the first priority, about 60 days to do, upgrades for manned flights will follow once the bulk of flights are running out of 40 again

Makes sense, as I understand just one of the pads works for FH because of the orientation of the flame trench.
If you use an crawler and move rocket vertical you want the boosters in line with the ramp for reduced stress climbing up. With horizontal transport like FH you need to have boosters on the sides then moving the rocket so the rocket end up rotated 90 degree, 
On the other hand the FH tower can also handle falcon 9. 

ITS might be able to use an saturn 5 pad, it would need an tower far more massive than the saturn 5 however if you want to lift the upper stage on. 
Make me wonder if spacex has an new rocket in planing between the falcon heavy and ITS. 
Something who can take an normal satellite or dragon to orbit using merlin engines and reuse both first and second stage. 

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

ITS might be able to use an saturn 5 pad, it would need an tower far more massive than the saturn 5 however if you want to lift the upper stage on. 
Make me wonder if spacex has an new rocket in planing between the falcon heavy and ITS. 
Something who can take an normal satellite or dragon to orbit using merlin engines and reuse both first and second stage. 

Falcon Heavy can definitely reuse the second stage, if it takes a performance cut. Heck, Falcon 9 can reuse the second stage, though usable payload drops quite low. It's just something they haven't fully developed.

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

Falcon Heavy can definitely reuse the second stage, if it takes a performance cut. Heck, Falcon 9 can reuse the second stage, though usable payload drops quite low. It's just something they haven't fully developed.

Would second stage adaptations for reusability compromise structural strength? Will we ever see an upgraded Falcon 9 with better structural integrity so it can actually lift the payload so it says it can, a Falcon 9 Mk6 (to continue the naming scheme) of sorts?