N4palm

Sharing website idea !!!!

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I want to build a sort of website that gamers can show off  their achivements in, but I don't want to start unless the community loves the idea ! So if you like it, fell free to express it in the comments !

 

EDIT : Hmm, your comments made me throw this away, But you are right. This forum is enough.

           And btw, I made it to minmus today for the first time  :wink:!

Edited by N4palm
Updating
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are two very active Facebook pages (one open, one closed) where this happens all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, N4palm said:

I want to build a sort of website that gamers can show off  their achivements in, but I don't want to start unless the community loves the idea ! So if you like it, fell free to express it in the comments !

You don't have to, this website does exactly what you propose. :mellow:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with @Triop here. The forum (especially this forum with this community) is a place where people appreaciate your achievements and ideas.

But it depends on how nice the community is. Kerbal Space Program is not a game for everyone, meaning that most of us have the same interest, yet games like CoD and Minecraft are for everyone, this means different people, different interests, and more flamewars.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NSEP said:

I agree with @Triop here. The forum (especially this forum with this community) is a place where people appreaciate your achievements and ideas.

I agree... It feels like home here... :)

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1.  This is still a community where most of us are happy to congratulate "I made it to the moon" posts because we remember how special it is.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"build it and they will come"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Leafbaron said:

"build it and they will come"

That's the thing.  It will either work or it won't.  Everybody laughed at Apple's idea for the Ipod, and it revolutionized music storage and playback (even though I think it was inevitable, they just did it "first").  So while I think you are wasting your time, building a social media site based around gaming might just take off.  Give it a go, the worst that happens is you learn better web page design and you're out a few bucks.  The blip on the resume might help someday. 

 

But of course, coming to a gaming site and saying you want to build a better site with your first post might not be the best move....

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

congratulations on conquering Minmus! did jeb get a taste of the minty soil?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, xendelaar said:

congratulations on conquering Minmus! did jeb get a taste of the minty soil?

Got a Taste ? I actually EVA'd him while landing at 100m/s ,so he crashed onto the minty soil :D.

And don't worry, he survived.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, N4palm said:

Got a Taste ? I actually EVA'd him while landing at 100m/s ,so he crashed onto the minty soil :D.

And don't worry, he survived.

Now can you get him into orbit with nothing but his EVA pack? :D

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alshain said:

Now can you get him into orbit with nothing but his EVA pack? :D

if on gilly then yes :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, N4palm said:

if on gilly then yes :wink:

At one time it was possible on Minmus, but I think through the years it got changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Alshain said:

At one time it was possible on Minmus, but I think through the years it got changed.

I actually had my first glance at ksp when I installed 0.2 or 0.3, and the first thing that I thought was:"It's a simulation program for nasa scientists"

And I uninstalled it right away:/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's nit a simulation program for scientists, but a degree in (astro)physics does help a lot...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Alshain said:

At one time it was possible on Minmus, but I think through the years it got changed.

Just jumping to Minmus orbit is trivial.  Since it was a bail out during landing, the EVA pack should be nearly full and even the most basic EVA (& rendezvous planning) skills should be sufficient.

In 1.0.5 it takes about 90% of a pack to deorbit and land on the flats, then boost back up to rendezvous with a base/ship in orbit.  (plus, Lithobraking with your face can save an extra 20-30m/s if gracefulness is not required)

The main way to conserve enough fuel for the achievement is to recline your Kerbal so that you have a single thrust vector along prograde and you aren't suffering cosine losses by pressing Shift and W at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Alshain said:

Now can you get him into orbit with nothing but his EVA pack? :D

17 hours ago, N4palm said:

if on gilly then yes :wink:

16 hours ago, Alshain said:

At one time it was possible on Minmus, but I think through the years it got changed.

Actually, it's still possible-- kerbals on Minmus surface can easily get into orbit.  In fact, they can actually escape from Minmus and go all the way home to Kerbin without a ship!  (And then burn up on reentry.  It used to be possible to go all the way from Minmus surface to Kerbin surface, purely in EVA, but KSP changed its reentry heating model in-- I think-- 1.1 or thereabouts, and I don't think this is doable anymore without some form of thermal protection.)

In fact... a kerbal on the Mun can actually make it to orbit (albeit just barely, and only to toe-scrapingly low orbit).  Tried it just now in 1.3, and managed to make it to a circular orbit at about 5km altitude.  I'd post a photo here, except that imgur appears to be having indigestion at the moment.

Kerbal EVA packs are freakishly overpowered.  :)

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2017 at 2:01 PM, Snark said:

Actually, it's still possible-- kerbals on Minmus surface can easily get into orbit.  In fact, they can actually escape from Minmus and go all the way home to Kerbin without a ship!  (And then burn up on reentry.  It used to be possible to go all the way from Minmus surface to Kerbin surface, purely in EVA, but KSP changed its reentry heating model in-- I think-- 1.1 or thereabouts, and I don't think this is doable anymore without some form of thermal protection.)

In fact... a kerbal on the Mun can actually make it to orbit (albeit just barely, and only to toe-scrapingly low orbit).  Tried it just now in 1.3, and managed to make it to a circular orbit at about 5km altitude.  I'd post a photo here, except that imgur appears to be having indigestion at the moment.

Kerbal EVA packs are freakishly overpowered.  :)

Yup.  I think you can actually get all the way home from Gilly, and into a nice parking orbit around either moon to await pickup.  Though, actually, Minmus may be too light to get a capture unless you get a lucky assist from the Mun...I kinda forget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now