(Asteroid Redirect) Mission Monday

SQUAD

sorry if this sounds annoying but... the version shown in the videos looks pretty good for release if you ask me. i know the people who develop ksp love being perfect and bug free, but as far as i know, i dont see any really big mods in the videos, or any at all really.if you ask me, you guys should have a unstable branch where you release unstable versions for the game (like the one shown in the videos) sory if im asking too much, but just my opinion

sorry if this sounds annoying but... the version shown in the videos looks pretty good for release if you ask me. i know the people who develop ksp love being perfect and bug free, but as far as i know, i dont see any really big mods in the videos, or any at all really.if you ask me, you guys should have a unstable branch where you release unstable versions for the game (like the one shown in the videos) sory if im asking too much, but just my opinion

Waiting a few more days is worth it!

There are still a lot of bugs, there were 6 or so in Scott's 2hr stream.

Some of them say openly that they are doing some things complicated ways to avoid bugs, and Scott Manley had clearly pretty heavy problems with framerate when looking at ground and there were some very strange effects when he crashed with the asteroid. So it does not look that good to me.

Some of them say openly that they are doing some things complicated ways to avoid bugs, and Scott Manley had clearly pretty heavy problems with framerate when looking at ground and there were some very strange effects when he crashed with the asteroid. So it does not look that good to me.

ok maybe so, but if you ask, some little strange effects when impacting a asteroid seems easily fixed by a F5 and F9 combo. and framerate lag? not THAT major. i mean i wouldnt mind, but i understand KSP has high quality standards. but then again ,another reason to have a unstable build download. we get the new versions sooner, and if we want perfection we can just use the standard version. will also raise popularity, right?

I believe they used to allow the public to download new, unstable releases. However, they kept getting complaints about how buggy they were, so they decided to discontinue those releases. People just didn't understand that there would be bugs.

I've heard that the ISP for the large single engine is switched for in and out of atmosphere as well as the engines being crazy strong, Kerbals attached to the claw create an error and a few other bugs that do need to be fixed. I think IVA for the MK2 and MK3 pods should be added soon as well!

ok maybe so, but if you ask, some little strange effects when impacting a asteroid seems easily fixed by a F5 and F9 combo. and framerate lag? not THAT major. i mean i wouldnt mind, but i understand KSP has high quality standards. but then again ,another reason to have a unstable build download. we get the new versions sooner, and if we want perfection we can just use the standard version. will also raise popularity, right?

You'd think so, but it doesn't work like that and too many people don't think the way you'd expect and want them to.

Everybody downloading the early patches of KSP knew that it was an alpha-stage, open-development game and that they should expect bugs, yet despite that there were far too many dumbass complaints about glitches and exciting "features" such as the Kraken. Even now, we STILL see complaints about "XYZ bug hasn't been fixed yet!" It created a nasty mood on the forums, and was bad for the dev team's collective morale. Things have been a lot more civilised around here since Squad took the decision to go for closed testing.

If Squad went back to allowing people to download untested releases then we would go back to that bad vibe. Some people would download the latest build, get hit by a bug, complain about it all too noisily and drag everybody else's mood down.

Sorry if this has already been answered but I was wondering, does the addition of asteroids mean we can expect some sort of asteroid belt that you can tweak (how many asteroids, frequency of asteroids) now or in future development at all?

Secondly, how will tracking of the asteroids work in future versions? (IRL they do it using telescopes and so called 'All-sky cameras' that film the sky and look for bright trails, which is kinda difficult for ksp, however telescopes would be nice.) :)

You'd think so, but it doesn't work like that and too many people don't think the way you'd expect and want them to.

Everybody downloading the early patches of KSP knew that it was an alpha-stage, open-development game and that they should expect bugs, yet despite that there were far too many dumbass complaints about glitches and exciting "features" such as the Kraken. Even now, we STILL see complaints about "XYZ bug hasn't been fixed yet!" It created a nasty mood on the forums, and was bad for the dev team's collective morale. Things have been a lot more civilised around here since Squad took the decision to go for closed testing.

If Squad went back to allowing people to download untested releases then we would go back to that bad vibe. Some people would download the latest build, get hit by a bug, complain about it all too noisily and drag everybody else's mood down.

Not only that, but think of the sheer volumes of duplicate bug reports they were getting when the test builds were open to the public. Sorting through masses of the same exact bug report would have wasted lots of valuable dev time as well.

So, I have plans for a space station in a Kerbolar orbit, between Kerbin & Duna... would such a structure have to worry about asteroid impacts? That would be so awesome... I mean, terrible and horrifying, but awesome.

Secondly, how will tracking of the asteroids work in future versions?

It would be good if it was something unlocked by researching advanced astronomical optics or something. Either space telescopes, which would be awesome anyway, or the building of telescopes on the ground to track such objects. This is just me speculating, of course, I have no reason to believe that this is how it will be.

So, I have plans for a space station in a Kerbolar orbit, between Kerbin & Duna... would such a structure have to worry about asteroid impacts? That would be so awesome... I mean, terrible and horrifying, but awesome.

No, you will never get impacted by an asteroid. From what I can tell, the "unknown objects" are only in the tracking station until you track one, at which point you'd see that its orbit would intersect with your station.

And the chances of that happening are about equal to the chances of the crew of the ISS tossing a dart out of their ship at random, having it re-enter the atmosphere, and score a bullseye on a specific dart board somewhere.

No, you will never get impacted by an asteroid. From what I can tell, the "unknown objects" are only in the tracking station until you track one, at which point you'd see that its orbit would intersect with your station.

And the chances of that happening are about equal to the chances of the crew of the ISS tossing a dart out of their ship at random, having it re-enter the atmosphere, and score a bullseye on a specific dart board somewhere.

Or recieving a lottery ticket as a gift, and then winning a jackpot. That said, I made a Duna return mission, which used a Kerbin aerocapture for the return phase. It then found itself in a high inclination, highly elliptical orbit (as you tend to do the first time you try aerocapture). I then suddenly saw something quickly approaching, and cutting my vessel in half. That something was one of my Remote Tech comm sattelites. That was the so far most awesome (and terrifying thing) that ever happened to me in KSP... A shame I didnt win on that lottery ticket I got as a present instead...

Also, as long as you're not actively controlling either vessel, they are on rails. On-rails vessels do not collide.

Aw, poo. Well, I guess it would be taxing to model that many bodies at once, even if it's not modelling the gravitational forces most of the time.

Yeah, I know, incredibly unlikely, but I like to have things to worry about - I can't always set my orbits inside of the bodies being orbited. Maybe there's a chance of solar flares being implemented at some point, or something... or I could just trying being more reckless with my docking procedures, I guess.

Or recieving a lottery ticket as a gift, and then winning a jackpot. That said, I made a Duna return mission, which used a Kerbin aerocapture for the return phase. It then found itself in a high inclination, highly elliptical orbit (as you tend to do the first time you try aerocapture). I then suddenly saw something quickly approaching, and cutting my vessel in half. That something was one of my Remote Tech comm sattelites. That was the so far most awesome (and terrifying thing) that ever happened to me in KSP... A shame I didnt win on that lottery ticket I got as a present instead...

Awesome. I've had a few close shaves with launch debris in my more cluttered games, but I've never experienced death by satellite. It probably helps that I don't have many satellites - I don't use Remote Tech, though I have been planning on adding it into my game. I wonder how landings work with RT and Deadly Re-Entry?

I wonder how landings work with RT and Deadly Re-Entry?

On planets with atmosphere you mean?

Build your craft to always point its heat shield prograde, lower PE guesstimating touch down location, activate chutes before retracting antennas, sent a delayed order to drop heat shield and lower landing gear and/or extend antennas, repeat last steps until you get it right without ripping of your antenna. :wink:

Having a satellite in low orbit and timing its flyby with your reentry to keep a connection via the always on antenna helps, too.

How come nothing is ever leaked from Squad? Why are there no moles? The release date hasn't been leaked... the pre-release test build hasn't been leaked...

I insist that Squad hire less scrupulous people!!!

So little faith, I say the issue is Squad cares about the quality of the product, and thus does not work to a deadline :P

How come nothing is ever leaked from Squad? Why are there no moles? The release date hasn't been leaked... the pre-release test build hasn't been leaked...

I insist that Squad hire less scrupulous people!!!

Sorry if this has already been answered but I was wondering, does the addition of asteroids mean we can expect some sort of asteroid belt that you can tweak (how many asteroids, frequency of asteroids) now or in future development at all?

Secondly, how will tracking of the asteroids work in future versions? (IRL they do it using telescopes and so called 'All-sky cameras' that film the sky and look for bright trails, which is kinda difficult for ksp, however telescopes would be nice.) :)

1) Not at this stage, each asteroid is is own craft, there would be a massive performance hit to try and manage that many craft that you would be able to have a true belt, so this has been listed as a defiant no go for quite some time.

2) No plans have been announced that I can recall about how they will work in future versions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.